My Gear... Guitar, Amp, Effects
twist
Aug 9 2009, 12:17 AM
GMC:er
Hello everyone, after the warm welcome here i just wanted to write some stuff. So i decided to give you a quick overview of what is taking a good part of my living room. smile.gif

Lets start with the guitar. It is a mid/late 80's Charvel Model 3DR. Thats a six string e-guitar with a floyd-rose tremolo, a humbucker and a single coil at the neck. The R in the Model Type stands for reversed headplate, so instead of pointing up, the tuners point to the floor. The sound is clear and crisp, with the proper effects its predestinated for 80s Rock and Powermetal stuff. Everything on this guitar is still the original equipment, with Jackson labels on every part. Probably build in Japan, dont know exactly.

My amp is somewhat a bastard child. Its a bass/guitar amp thingie. Made by the well known (not so well known for their amps) Pearl company and name Pearl Vorg 101. 100 Watt transistor amp with two channels. A copy of the older Fender amps with an indefinite age. Got it from my father, he said it coud easily be older than me and go out to 30 or 40 years in age, again, i dont know the exact date of build. Both channels have a switch which seems to boost the heights in tone, the second channel also has a hall effect.

Right below that there sits a (for an apartment) huge Fender FM 412 box. Just a box, nothing special, was a birthday gift.

My effects are: Boss Heavy Metal HM-2 (got it with the guitar), Boss cs-3 compressor and sustainer, Behringer od 100 (cheap ass crap smile.gif but somehow nice distorted sound) and a Zoom G2.1u multieffect.
The hm-2 is a realy old distortion pedal which can suck a battery dry within a few hours. It makes a dense but still warm distortion sound in standard adjustment but has a wide range of possibilities from strong high pitched sounds to almost overdrive-like notes with the two band equalizer. The distortion knob is a mystery, sometimes a small, half degree, turn changes the whole sound, in other positions you can twist it half way round without hearing a difference smile.gif.
The cs-3 i dont have that long, actually i can only say, it does what a compressor should do, and it also adds nice sustain to the notes played. Give a more filled sound. I have to play with it more to get a more detailed opinion.
The Behringer pedal seems somehow misplaced next to the boss pedals, its cheap, its ugly and its plastic. But still it has a nice distortion, it has a more "new" distortion, like the electronical, clean (almost artificial) sounding distortion used by some metalcore bands. The overdrive function just feels like playing with a ton of cushions in the speakerbox, totaly damped. I am savin to replace it with a more versatile boss distortion effect.
The last one in the list is the one i promised myself the most use.The G2.1u is a multieffect with the possibility to record direct to a pc. It has tons of effects, amps and speakersimulations but in the end it sounds a bit artificial. It is nice toy to play at home and try out stuff without buying tons of other stuff you only use once. I realy like it but i like the sound of my boss effects more, so i actually use it as a drum computer to get some beats to play along.

Yep, thats my actual gear, plans for the near future are: An acoustic guitar (probably done by monday), a wahwah pedal (around next month), boss distortion (tba smile.gif ), noise gate , ...

A reason to buy all that (for me) expensive stuff is to give me some more motivation like "Hey you just spent a lot of money on that effect, now use it!" smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
rivers just happen

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
NoSkill
Aug 9 2009, 01:52 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Cool setup man. biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Aug 9 2009, 02:52 AM
Very nice to begin!. I bet that your Carvin has a great tone!. What I recommend you is, if you want to improve your equipment, to update the Zoom G2.1u for something more sofisticated such as a Line6 Xt live pod. But, for start and get used to all the efects and experiment, is great

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 9 2009, 03:03 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Not too many people are a fan of the Boss HM-2, but I love it biggrin.gif
Trash Metal tone, and a great pedal smile.gif

You've got a nice set-up mate, Charvel makes some great guitars smile.gif

This post has been edited by audiopaal: Aug 9 2009, 11:50 AM

+Quote Post
twist
Aug 9 2009, 09:49 AM
Dont laugh if its a stupid question, but why do you write Carvin?

And for the multieffect: i am currently replacing it step by step with single pedals as i was using some certain efects all the time. So i have the more real sound of the pedals when i play but still can fall back to the multieffect when i want to experiment. I thought about getting a more evolved multieffect but i think i prefer spending the money for high quality single effects. smile.gif

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 9 2009, 11:49 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (twist @ Aug 9 2009, 10:49 AM) *
Dont laugh if its a stupid question, but why do you write Carvin?

And for the multieffect: i am currently replacing it step by step with single pedals as i was using some certain efects all the time. So i have the more real sound of the pedals when i play but still can fall back to the multieffect when i want to experiment. I thought about getting a more evolved multieffect but i think i prefer spending the money for high quality single effects. smile.gif

Good question biggrin.gif

I meant Charvel, hehe..
It's not always easy in the middle of the night tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 9 2009, 12:13 PM
Instructor
Good gear man! smile.gif

If you need any assistance with stomps let me know, I'm a pedal addict biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Laszlo Boross
Aug 9 2009, 03:08 PM
Instructor
Your gear is great! I'm also using some boss pedals and I very like them.
And when we are to allowed to hear some sample from it?

--------------------
Check out my lessons

+Quote Post
twist
Aug 9 2009, 04:26 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 9 2009, 12:13 PM) *
Good gear man! smile.gif

If you need any assistance with stomps let me know, I'm a pedal addict biggrin.gif

I sure will, i am currently on the lookout for a distortion pedal with a realy wide range of effect. On my hm-2 i miss the, modern metalcore like distortion range and somewhat i also want to have the 80s option smile.gif I tested the ml-2 a few weeks ago and it is the right direction but i think i will also test the mt-2 with a wider range of possibilities. And after watching some lessons last night i am also thinking of buying a loop pedal smile.gif

QUOTE (Laszlo Boross @ Aug 9 2009, 03:08 PM) *
Your gear is great! I'm also using some boss pedals and I very like them.
And when we are to allowed to hear some sample from it?

Hm, do you realy want samples from ME? smile.gif i never had the self confidence to show off my 'Skills' on the internet. Maybe i will learn some stuff here that i can use to do some samples. smile.gif

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post
twist
Aug 11 2009, 01:25 AM
Here are two pics of my instruments, my Charvel and my new Cort acoutic smile.gif

This post has been edited by twist: Aug 11 2009, 01:28 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 11 2009, 01:51 AM
Instructor
Sweet gear. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 11 2009, 06:26 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
wow pink!!!!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
twist
Aug 11 2009, 12:32 PM
Well its not realy pink, its a lot darker but the flash makes it look pink... smile.gif

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Aug 11 2009, 08:10 PM
its pink smile.gif

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
twist
Aug 12 2009, 12:08 AM
No its not, i will try to take a picture that resembles the original color smile.gif

Well, i should try it in daylight, now the color seems more red smile.gif but thats closer than PINK smile.gif

Attached Image

This post has been edited by twist: Aug 12 2009, 12:29 AM

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 12 2009, 12:09 AM
Instructor
Hey Pink guitar! ( jk biggrin.gif )

Hmm, metal pedal with wide range of possibilites, sounds like a plan! smile.gif What's the budget?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
twist
Aug 12 2009, 12:31 AM
I thought of the Boss mt-2, so the range is what i have to pay for it smile.gif 100 euros approx... at the current rates that is 141 $. I dont like to think of "budget" when i buy effects. I like to choose what i want and then save till i can afford it smile.gif

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Aug 13 2009, 01:38 PM
Instructor
Nice gear!

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Janos Kallai
Aug 13 2009, 07:41 PM
Instructor
Great gear!
You have a a really great and comfortable guitar!
I like the Charvel neck.

--------------------
Check out my lessons!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 13 2009, 09:24 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Wow very good gear setup! smile.gif

For wah I recommend Crybaby 535Q its a good pedal...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:24 PM