3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
What Does Windows 11 Mean For Musicians?
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 14 2021, 09:09 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 14 2021, 08:01 AM) *
I wish I had all of your will power, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop when a new os comes along, I always just go for it and then wish I hadn't rolleyes.gif

Do you have a second computer to try it on rather than the main one? cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 14 2021, 12:10 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 14 2021, 09:09 AM) *
Do you have a second computer to try it on rather than the main one? cool.gif

Yes buddy, they are both linked to all the same hardware too so it's a couple of button presses and it's ready to go except for the multi monitor set up.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 14 2021, 07:04 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 14 2021, 01:10 PM) *
Yes buddy, they are both linked to all the same hardware too so it's a couple of button presses and it's ready to go except for the multi monitor set up.

Let me get this right. Could you install it on your secondary computer without installing it on your primary one? Just to check it out, I mean. You know, so you don't get it installed everywhere only to realize half of the things aren't working. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 14 2021, 07:59 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 14 2021, 07:04 PM) *
Let me get this right. Could you install it on your secondary computer without installing it on your primary one? Just to check it out, I mean. You know, so you don't get it installed everywhere only to realize half of the things aren't working. laugh.gif

Yes, I could but the fool inside me won't rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 14 2021, 08:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 14 2021, 08:59 PM) *
Yes, I could but the fool inside me won't rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I do foolish things at times too. Maybe about 5 years ago in a bit of a manic moment I decided "I don't need any of my old files on my computer anymore, no guitar pro files, no videos, no anything needed, let's format and wipe it all and start anew! THIS IS SUCH A GREAT IDEA!", and who came to regret that decision a bit throughout the years? laugh.gif Oh well, there were good and bad things about it - in a way leaving behind what at the time kept me a bit stuck, but there are probably better ways to go about it laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 14 2021, 08:36 PM
GMC:er
Im still using super! smile.gif It's very handy to have a live bootable clone. I stopped using the apple backup system as it doesn't make a bootable clone. If something goes bad with a drive, it's very handy to be able to just plug in, boot up and keep working on whatever you were doing before. it's something pc people sometimes do more than some mac people. I.T. people tend to favor a live boot drive.

What about you?

QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 14 2021, 12:22 AM) *
Do you use any software like Disk Drill to clone your boot drive?

I have done that as well. It was a learning experience. I thought "how hard can it be? I've got all the installers?". It was quite a bit of work and turns out I didn't have copies of everything i wanted to re install. After that I started keeping a spare boot drive with my OS on apps on it.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 14 2021, 03:12 PM) *
laugh.gif

I do foolish things at times too. Maybe about 5 years ago in a bit of a manic moment I decided "I don't need any of my old files on my computer anymore, no guitar pro files, no videos, no anything needed, let's format and wipe it all and start anew! THIS IS SUCH A GREAT IDEA!", and who came to regret that decision a bit throughout the years? laugh.gif Oh well, there were good and bad things about it - in a way leaving behind what at the time kept me a bit stuck, but there are probably better ways to go about it laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 14 2021, 08:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 14 2021, 09:36 PM) *
I have done that as well. It was a learning experience. I thought "how hard can it be? I've got all the installers?". It was quite a bit of work and turns out I didn't have copies of everything i wanted to re install. After that I started keeping a spare boot drive with my OS on apps on it.

I knew I could install everything I wanted again, so that wasn't so much an issue. The "hard" thing was when I 2 years later thought: "how did I play that piece? What about that project I did some years back?", and I didn't have any of those files smile.gif It was literally a complete wipe of projects, sheet, GP-files, documents and so on. VSTs and programs can be installed again. I do that on occasion and leave my files on a drive that's not being formatted.

Of course a few of my things were "backed" up randomly on the internet, such as files having been sent on Facebook Messenger, GMC, Dropbox etc. But any specific projects I had on my computer I let go off and deleted. laugh.gif
In a way it was a good decision. For the best of 10 years I was stuck trying to write for a project I was doing at about when I was 16 years old, and I kept not being able to write or work on anything else. Many of those files were gone for a long time, as I couldn't find them online, and that kinda forced me to work on something new instead. cool.gif

I have since found the files, and some of those I recently sent for you to check out. They weren't all that bad. Some good stuff in there, but it helped me move on to simply wipe all my projects. This is a very specific situation though and not one I would recommend just cause of a small writer's block. This had been for years and years.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 15 2021, 04:16 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 14 2021, 12:36 PM) *
What about you?

I've always done it this way but I am considering specialized software currently ...
https://mactakeawaydata.com/clone-mac-boot-drive/

I've never needed to use it yet ... knock on wood and fingers crossed wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 15 2021, 08:25 PM
Thats certainly a viable way, just a bit more work to be sure. Using SUPER DUPER is just a bit easier. The base version is entirely free and it's just one button click to make your clone. So it's a super simple process. It's handy so that if you need to update your clone drive after adding new software or something, you just load super duper and hit the button again before you stop work for the day. here is the web site.

https://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/Sup...escription.html

QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 14 2021, 11:16 PM) *
I've always done it this way but I am considering specialized software currently ...
https://mactakeawaydata.com/clone-mac-boot-drive/

I've never needed to use it yet ... knock on wood and fingers crossed wink.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 15 2021, 09:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
I had a Windows 10 update waiting for me, and noticed there was a message saying my CPU is not supported for Windows 11. It's a i7 6700k and while it's a bit aged it runs perfectly fine even for most newer games. Quad core, 4Ghz, 8 threads, 8 mb cache, but Microsoft says nope... but allows "newer" worse CPUs to be supported. What I have is a 6th generation Intel and they're officially only supporting 8th generation and above.

Lots of people on Reddit and Microsoft support sites seem to be complaining about their i7 6700k not being supported for Windows 11. Not that I was gonna update right now anyway, but it sparked my interest seeing that it wasn't supported apparently. It seemed a bit weird as it's not THAT bad of a CPU and my computer meets all other requirements. The CPU speed in itself meets them easily too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 17 2021, 03:07 AM
That CPU is not that old and still should be viable? Windows 11 is saying NO to a quad 4ghz i7? That seems nuts imho.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 15 2021, 04:28 PM) *
I had a Windows 10 update waiting for me, and noticed there was a message saying my CPU is not supported for Windows 11. It's a i7 6700k and while it's a bit aged it runs perfectly fine even for most newer games. Quad core, 4Ghz, 8 threads, 8 mb cache, but Microsoft says nope... but allows "newer" worse CPUs to be supported. What I have is a 6th generation Intel and they're officially only supporting 8th generation and above.

Lots of people on Reddit and Microsoft support sites seem to be complaining about their i7 6700k not being supported for Windows 11. Not that I was gonna update right now anyway, but it sparked my interest seeing that it wasn't supported apparently. It seemed a bit weird as it's not THAT bad of a CPU and my computer meets all other requirements. The CPU speed in itself meets them easily too.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 17 2021, 03:12 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 17 2021, 04:07 AM) *
That CPU is not that old and still should be viable? Windows 11 is saying NO to a quad 4ghz i7? That seems nuts imho.

Something about the motherboard structure used for it, I think. TPM 2.0, but it should have something similar. Perhaps they'll be able to include the 6th generation Intel CPU's in the future. Quite a few posts about it on Reddit with people complaining, as well as Microsoft's own support site.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 17 2021, 07:26 PM
It's a jerk move by mickeysoft imho sad.gif That cpu should be supported for several more years but evidently, microsoft just declared all gen 7 chips obsolete. I'm used to apple doing that kind of crap. They just did it to my laptop which can't be upgraded to the latest version of IOS. Not that I want to upgrade it right now, just that I never can, even if I do want to. I can't complain to hard though as my machine is a 2012. In your case, it's much newer hardware.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 16 2021, 10:12 PM) *
Something about the motherboard structure used for it, I think. TPM 2.0, but it should have something similar. Perhaps they'll be able to include the 6th generation Intel CPU's in the future. Quite a few posts about it on Reddit with people complaining, as well as Microsoft's own support site.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 17 2021, 07:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 17 2021, 08:26 PM) *
It's a jerk move by mickeysoft imho sad.gif That cpu should be supported for several more years but evidently, microsoft just declared all gen 7 chips obsolete. I'm used to apple doing that kind of crap. They just did it to my laptop which can't be upgraded to the latest version of IOS. Not that I want to upgrade it right now, just that I never can, even if I do want to. I can't complain to hard though as my machine is a 2012. In your case, it's much newer hardware.

Yup, I'm not planning on upgrading any way, but it sparked my interest seing that I couldn't upgrade laugh.gif I hope my computer runs well enough for the next few years, and Windows 10 will evidently be supported untill 2025, as I understood it. I hope my machine can run till 2023 or 2024 at least.

By that time more of my hardware will need to be upgraded, so maybe a completely new machine could be a thing, as said in another thread. If I want a newer CPU now it means I also have to change my motherboard out, then maybe RAM too, PSU and it slowly adds up.
Hopefully the current one runs for at least 2 more years. I don't mind buying a new computer without a graphics card at that point, if my RTX2070 Super still runs well enough at the time. It makes it quite a bit cheaper to buy, that is a computer without GPU and then move my old GPU to the new one. We'll see.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 17 2021, 09:02 PM
My desktop (backup) computer isn't support, the CPU isn't right Intel Core i5 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology.

Oh well, I'll be doing it on my laptop then, please talk me out of it laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 17 2021, 10:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 17 2021, 10:02 PM) *
My desktop (backup) computer isn't support, the CPU isn't right Intel Core i5 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology.

Is it even possible talking you out of it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 18 2021, 03:38 AM
I'd say don't upgrade the OS until you have at least on good reason to do it. Other than, it's just the latest thing smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 17 2021, 04:02 PM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 18 2021, 06:57 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 18 2021, 03:38 AM) *
I'd say don't upgrade the OS until you have at least on good reason to do it. Other than, it's just the latest thing smile.gif

How about the reason that I'm an impatient twerp? rolleyes.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 18 2021, 07:05 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 18 2021, 07:57 AM) *
How about the reason that I'm an impatient twerp? rolleyes.gif

At least you're not impatiently twerking, I suppose. Just an impatient twerp laugh.gif

I'd say wait too, but it's your call in the end. As long as you can go back smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 19 2021, 08:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 14 2021, 06:01 AM) *
I wish I had all of your will power, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop when a new os comes along, I always just go for it and then wish I hadn't rolleyes.gif

Maybe it kind of depends on how advanced your usage of PC is. There more things you are used to do on old machine, the harder is to switch to new one - especially considering the fact they started to change some stuff radically - for example direct X, and you may not get some of your old, well working soft to work on new system. I know there are still some legacy drivers but it not always does the job.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:16 AM