2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Koopid
Koopid
Feb 24 2009, 09:39 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Here on guitarmasterclass I'm Koopid and I am 37 years old. I play in 2 bands, one that makes original music (Mundane) and as a fun project on the side I play in a coverband that plays 80's metal mostly (Logement 21). Mundane are quite serious although we have no ambitions of "making it" we are old enough to realize that it will only happen to very few people, and too old to start now if we really wanted to be one of the few smile.gif Logement 21 mostly exist as an excuse to drink beer and play at the same time...

How long you've been playing:
I have been playing for almost 3 years.

What skills/techniques/abilities you'd like to improve
I do not have much natural talent, I guess I should be better than I am after 3 years but that don't bother me too much smile.gif
I would say I am at the upper parts of beginner level skillwise.

the skills I want to improve the most are:
1. Legato
2. Theory knowledge
3. Palm muting, I make too much noise when I play

My goal is to be able to both write and play solos that are good enough for our level as a band. I do ok with slower solos that only uses the minor pentatonic scale but I would love to incorporate some runs and some other faster parts to them, I can hear them in my head but I can't make em play on the guitar.

I have no ambitions of becoming a "virtouso". The pentatonic scales and the minor and major scales plus some arpeggios are enough for me for now but I do not have enough theoretical knowledge to know how and when to use which.

How much time you have to commit to guitar practise, weekly
Depends on the week. Some weeks I can commit a couple of hours a day, other weeks a couple of hours the whole week. I have two kids, a wife and a quite demanding job, plus the time I commit to band rehearsal smile.gif Mostly I can play a couple of hours in the evening though.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Feb 25 2009, 02:52 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hi there Koopid smile.gif

Thanks for giving me that information, really helpfull cheers.

Good to hear what you would like to work on and how much time you have to work on the guitar, it sounds like you either have very busy weeks, or fairly free!

That's ok, I won't be too pressurising, I can just give you a gentle push into the areas we want to go over.

So let's get started!

You mention you would like to be able to know when to appropriately use the minor and major penatonic patterns, and improve legato techniques and palm muting.

There is a series lesson done by Ivan called the Pentatonic Workshop. Have you seen this before?

Here's a link to the Legato slides section of the series, which would be a great start for improving some legato runs.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-legato-slides/

This series covers the basic theory needed for the pentatonics, how to break out of each box, using intervals, some pentatonic licks and some fusion also. It would be well worth a look into.

Another great legato tune to practise is AC/DC's Thunderstruck. I'm sure you know the tune smile.gif It's a fantastic legato exercise which is also very fun to play!

So those are two ways we can work towards the skills you want to develop.

Regarding palm muting, this lesson is fantastic for that in my opinion, and utilises some different major scale shapes too.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/palm-m...workout-lesson/

This is also great for practising Alternate Picking, if you so wish to use this technique.

Now, because you've got a fairly unpredictable time schedule, I don't want to set any time limits or assignments now as I'd like you to look over the above lessons and let me know what you'd most like to work on. Whether this seems appropriate for what you want to learn etc.

Give them a look over, and let me know. Then we can set a realistic time line for completing our goals.

QUOTE (Koopid @ Feb 24 2009, 08:39 PM) *
Hi,

Here on guitarmasterclass I'm Koopid and I am 37 years old. I play in 2 bands, one that makes original music (Mundane) and as a fun project on the side I play in a coverband that plays 80's metal mostly (Logement 21). Mundane are quite serious although we have no ambitions of "making it" we are old enough to realize that it will only happen to very few people, and too old to start now if we really wanted to be one of the few smile.gif Logement 21 mostly exist as an excuse to drink beer and play at the same time...

How long you've been playing:
I have been playing for almost 3 years.

What skills/techniques/abilities you'd like to improve
I do not have much natural talent, I guess I should be better than I am after 3 years but that don't bother me too much smile.gif
I would say I am at the upper parts of beginner level skillwise.

the skills I want to improve the most are:
1. Legato
2. Theory knowledge
3. Palm muting, I make too much noise when I play

My goal is to be able to both write and play solos that are good enough for our level as a band. I do ok with slower solos that only uses the minor pentatonic scale but I would love to incorporate some runs and some other faster parts to them, I can hear them in my head but I can't make em play on the guitar.

I have no ambitions of becoming a "virtouso". The pentatonic scales and the minor and major scales plus some arpeggios are enough for me for now but I do not have enough theoretical knowledge to know how and when to use which.

How much time you have to commit to guitar practise, weekly
Depends on the week. Some weeks I can commit a couple of hours a day, other weeks a couple of hours the whole week. I have two kids, a wife and a quite demanding job, plus the time I commit to band rehearsal smile.gif Mostly I can play a couple of hours in the evening though.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post
Koopid
Feb 26 2009, 07:57 AM
Learning Roadie
I have a gig friday so I'll need to practice for that so I'll get to work on that pentatonic series on saturday smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 26 2009, 02:53 PM
Instructor
Welcome!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Feb 27 2009, 06:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
Awesome man, good luck for Friday smile.gif Let me know how its going and what your thoughts are about the pentatonic series when you can smile.gif

QUOTE (Koopid @ Feb 26 2009, 06:57 AM) *
I have a gig friday so I'll need to practice for that so I'll get to work on that pentatonic series on saturday smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Koopid
Mar 1 2009, 09:18 AM
Learning Roadie
Started working on the slide legato lesson you linked. My first impression was that I wanted a bit more of a challenge but when I started to work on it it made perfect sense, I can AP the lesson no problem at the higher speeds but with hammerons, pull-offs and it feels very unnatural for me so for practicing legato its a great lesson, thanks!

I dunno if I can make videos, I have an old cam but I havent tried recording directly to the computer with it yet smile.gif

I'll try as soon as I feel I have a worthy attempt at the lesson though.

And the gig went OK. Part of a competition, we wont know how it went until all gigs are played, somewhere in april I guess.

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Mar 2 2009, 06:52 PM
Learning Tone Master
Sorry for the delay man, I'm busy during weekends so won't really have the chance to communicate much during those days, but am free all week to help out here smile.gif

Really glad the lesson was good for you, glad you find it appropriate smile.gif Please do let me know if you find something too easy, or not challenging enough as I can easily sort you out with something more advanced. At this beginning stage its difficult to know where you're truely at as I haven't heard any of your playing, and certainly don't want to give you something too hard and end up losing your intrest in practicing.

Let me know how its going now, I forgot to ask if its possible for you to record your playing? Either via webcam or simply audio?

QUOTE (Koopid @ Mar 1 2009, 08:18 AM) *
Started working on the slide legato lesson you linked. My first impression was that I wanted a bit more of a challenge but when I started to work on it it made perfect sense, I can AP the lesson no problem at the higher speeds but with hammerons, pull-offs and it feels very unnatural for me so for practicing legato its a great lesson, thanks!

I dunno if I can make videos, I have an old cam but I havent tried recording directly to the computer with it yet smile.gif

I'll try as soon as I feel I have a worthy attempt at the lesson though.

And the gig went OK. Part of a competition, we wont know how it went until all gigs are played, somewhere in april I guess.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Koopid
Mar 3 2009, 08:47 AM
Learning Roadie
I can record audio for now. I tried to set up a normal videocam yesterday but it seems I've misplaced the firewire cable smile.gif

I am planning to buy a webcam, but not sure when yet. If you want to see some of my playing look here http://www.4shared.com/file/89938717/30ac6...tep_Closer.html

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Mar 4 2009, 07:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
I checked your video man, you're a pretty good player you know! I'm suprised you label yourself as a beginner as I wouldn't say that was the case smile.gif

I can tell from that video that we can certainly work on some more advanced stuff, so just as soon as you let me know you're ready to move on from the legato lesson.

QUOTE (Koopid @ Mar 3 2009, 07:47 AM) *
I can record audio for now. I tried to set up a normal videocam yesterday but it seems I've misplaced the firewire cable smile.gif

I am planning to buy a webcam, but not sure when yet. If you want to see some of my playing look here http://www.4shared.com/file/89938717/30ac6...tep_Closer.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
Koopid
Mar 4 2009, 09:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Heh, thanks for the comments smile.gif And I am a newb, what you saw in that video is pretty much my entire repertoir...

In fact the legato lesson is perfect for me, I am having some serious troubles mastering it (or even getting through it). I have only had about 1-2h of practice on yet though. Gonna try to squeeze a couple more hours into it this week.

I have also looked at the palm muting lesson, also a perfect choice, not too hard (except for the actual muting, hehe), and not too easy.

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Mar 5 2009, 07:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thats great to hear mate smile.gif

Your video shows you have the ability to be consistant which is an important thing, shows that you have put a lot of time into playing.

Progressing is often difficult when you reach this stage because you can effectively play things that are satisfying and fun so practising on things are harder, seem less rewarding smile.gif

The palm muting one is really fun I found! It is also a great way of improving your alternate picking and of course palm muting. It also gets you used some diatonic shapes if you're previously used to just pentatonics?

Any chance of any recordings? That way I can advise you easier on areas to improve smile.gif

QUOTE (Koopid @ Mar 4 2009, 08:29 PM) *
Heh, thanks for the comments smile.gif And I am a newb, what you saw in that video is pretty much my entire repertoir...

In fact the legato lesson is perfect for me, I am having some serious troubles mastering it (or even getting through it). I have only had about 1-2h of practice on yet though. Gonna try to squeeze a couple more hours into it this week.

I have also looked at the palm muting lesson, also a perfect choice, not too hard (except for the actual muting, hehe), and not too easy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Koopid
Mar 5 2009, 08:17 PM
Learning Roadie
I bought a webcam today, still trying to get it to work the way I want it too, maybe there will be a recording soonish smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Mar 5 2009, 08:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
Awesome news! Look forward to it smile.gif

QUOTE (Koopid @ Mar 5 2009, 07:17 PM) *
I bought a webcam today, still trying to get it to work the way I want it too, maybe there will be a recording soonish smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Mar 6 2009, 03:55 AM
Instructor
Welcome to the site!

Is it the first time that you introduce yourself?

I think maybe there wasn't many who greated you because usually this kind of things are posted here

This post has been edited by Ramiro Delforte: Mar 6 2009, 03:55 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Koopid
Mar 6 2009, 07:05 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Mar 6 2009, 03:55 AM) *
Welcome to the site!

Is it the first time that you introduce yourself?

I think maybe there wasn't many who greated you because usually this kind of things are posted here

No, I have been here a while, this is my introduction for my MTP smile.gif I did my introduction in that topic almost a year ago.

This post has been edited by Koopid: Mar 6 2009, 07:05 AM

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Mar 6 2009, 01:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
Not sure why it keeps being replied to as a introduction forum post laugh.gif

QUOTE (Koopid @ Mar 6 2009, 06:05 AM) *
No, I have been here a while, this is my introduction for my MTP smile.gif I did my introduction in that topic almost a year ago.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Koopid
Mar 8 2009, 06:40 PM
Learning Roadie
So, I made a video of the legato lesson, I am having serious problems with it sad.gif

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Mar 9 2009, 01:12 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hey Koopid!

Thanks so much for uploading a vid biggrin.gif Only problem is that you have set the youtube video settings for this video as private, so you either need to make me an invite so I can watch it or make it open to the public (don't mind which smile.gif )

If you want to allow me to see it my username is ajmurrell1

Thanks smile.gif

QUOTE (Koopid @ Mar 8 2009, 05:40 PM) *
So, I made a video of the legato lesson, I am having serious problems with it sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Koopid
Mar 9 2009, 02:29 PM
Learning Roadie
I guess I'll have to share it then.. smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Koopid
Mar 9 2009, 05:24 PM
Learning Roadie
Is it working now?

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:21 AM