Les Pauls
T-Gunn
Sep 12 2009, 09:05 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys just a quick question ive been thinking about getting a new guitar and selling my old one atm i have an epi lp studio ive got three guitars in mind ive been looking at an epi lp custom, a gibson lp studio and the tokai made in korea loverocks (japanese ones are hard to get here in perth). Just after some opinions or suggestions on which guitar would be the best to go with.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 12 2009, 09:14 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Gibson Les Paul Studio is my vote smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 12 2009, 09:22 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
+1 on the Gibson LP Studio smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 12 2009, 09:25 PM
Instructor
I also vote for Gibson Les paul studio! I'm very happy with mine! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 12 2009, 09:30 PM
Learning Tone Master
The diffrence between an Epiphone LP standard and Custom is very small, no improvement there...

The gap between the Epiphone and the Gibson studio is huge though!
Some people say that the built quality isn't much better tahn an Epiphone, and that might be true on the Studio series but the hardware and the wood quality sets them miles apart!

Used Gibson Les Paul Standard should be arround the price of a new Studio so that might be worth a look, I di the same when I was looking for a Les Paul...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
wicked_phreec
Sep 12 2009, 11:52 PM
Hey my friend,

buying a new guitar is always an exciting experience. In my opinion, you should always go for something that's higher in quality and prestige than the one you already own. I dont this theres much of a point in selling an epiphone for another epiphone, you should make the leap to something of a "higher status" and go for the Gibson Les Paul studio.

From experience, I can tell you that certain kinds of quality comes with price, you wont notice those differences until you had the guitar for quite a while. For example you'll notice that it is easier to set up the neck's action and relief on a les paul studio than on an epi... thats because the neck is made with better quality and craftsmanship. Same goes for Ibanez regular and Ibanez Prestige series, and Fender Squires and Fender American series.... More quality for price.

I wouldnt worry about the electronics of the guitar though, they're easy to replace.

Go for the LP Studio!!

CHEERS! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Frederik
Sep 13 2009, 12:54 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
The tokai Japan (i own) is great. far better material than epi

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 13 2009, 01:51 AM
Instructor
My vote is also for the Gibson. You get quality that cannot be taken into question at all in this situation wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Sep 13 2009, 06:00 AM
Instructor
Gibson Les Paul Studio is my vote too. You'll be quiet for a few years with the LP!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Sep 13 2009, 09:55 AM
Learning Rock Star
LP studio mate, epi and gibson ae poles apart in terms of material and hardware quality.

+Quote Post
T-Gunn
Sep 13 2009, 07:40 PM
Looks pretty unanimous i think i will go with the gibby studio plus a mate works at a guitar shop and can get me abit of a discount which is always good, must admit the alpine white with chrome hardware finish looks pretty good on them.

+Quote Post
Jesse
Sep 13 2009, 07:41 PM
Fender Stratocaster!!!!! Oh wait...

GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Gus
Sep 14 2009, 02:23 PM
From epiphone LP custom to a Gibson Studio there is a huge improvement, well worthy the price.

But, I would say you save "just" a little bit more and go for a Gibson Les Paul standard faded. Then you have a life-time instrument.
That would be a definitive step from your current axe wink.gif

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
inertia
Sep 14 2009, 03:12 PM
yeah gibson lp studio is very nice, depends on what you want though
for me I wouldn't go for the studio because I don't like the thicker necks, the les paul standard faded I think is the best bang for the buck as has been mentioned, it just doens't have as many layers of the nitro finish
but if you don't mind the bigger neck then definitely go for the studio, the biggest difference to me between the studio and the standard is the binding and the pickups, I really like the burstbucker pros, so if you prefer those pickups you can always drop them in the studio
best of luck with the purchase!

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Sep 16 2009, 06:27 AM
Instructor
The Studio is a good choice, but try the Tokai also, they are cool guitars too.

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 21 2009, 05:51 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
If it sais "Gibson" and "Les Paul" on the headstock, I would go for it wink.gif But seriously, the Studio Les Paul from Gibson is a great guitar in my opinion, but what you should do is go to a shop and play it yourself, only like this you can build your own opinion about it and find out if it would be a good guitar for you.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:44 AM