Stringing Thoughts Together, Trying to make a decent piece
Rain
Feb 8 2009, 03:17 AM
GMC:er
Heya Ivan,

So I'm working on making some music and think I might have found the issue that I have been having. I can construct a few cool licks but when I link them together - they seem to be so separate that the piece just sounds flawed. It's as if I'm writing a paragraph but my sentences are so different that the idea is not "fluidly" represented. Long explanation short, do you have any tips on "stringing licks together"?

One method I think is to make a "complete" lick - that sounds like it starts and finishes then cut the ending notes off and string the next "idea" onto that lick to give it fluidity. Does this work well?

What are your thoughts?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Galneryus [SYU / YUUTO-LEDA] - the GazettE - Sonic Syndicate - Versailles - Sadie - Takayoshi Ohmura - Steve Vai - MintJam - Sex Machineguns - Gentaro Satomura - CYCLE - Paul Gilbert - X Japan - Disturbed
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 8 2009, 09:10 PM
Instructor
Hey mate,

This thing that you are talking about will work, but it will not work by itself. You can't play good by only connecting different licks, you have to be aware of the scales and intervals between the notes properly. Think about a lick like a phrase or something that is spoken a lot, like you have 2 quotes:

"Just because you believe something doesn't make it true."

"It takes a long time to become really good at something."

If you know these two quetoes, it is pretty difficult to connect them together in something more meaningful like:

"Just because you believe something doesn't make it true, and It takes a long time to become really good at something."

"It takes a long time to become really good at something, Just because you believe something doesn't make it true."

So just as a writer cannot write a whole piece just by using these two sentences, so a player cannot write a solo using a couple of licks. Learning the scales and the notes, and learning how to connect them is the real thing. The notes are for a player just like words are for a writer. If you don't know the theory, you cannot advance, so I recommend that you learn the scales properly.

You can start by learning the pentatonic scale and connecting the boxes together. I've made a lesson plan here, so you can check it out mate. Some first lessons are perhaps not for you (they are for beginners) but you can see where you can catch on with the lessons. So follow the theory, and follow the lessons, and you will learn to play fluidly along the way.

Again, your method is not wrong at all, we all learn licks and use them occasionally, but for a more fluid solo it is best to learn the scales. Then playing few licks here and there and connecting them in a more meaningful composition will be a lot easier, once you have more material to combine.

Hope this clarify some things a bit mate, just ask if you have any more questions. CHeers ! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Artemus
Feb 8 2009, 09:31 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Wow - great advice above. Personally I've found that experimentation, recording yourself and listening to your ideas goes a long way. Also, I try to either sing solos to myself in my head or against a chord progression, or listening to a new piece of music and trying to anticipate where the note/chord/sound leads to. Listen to your favourite artists (or some new ones) and try to hear "where" they take the music. Unless you're listening to Mr. Bungle..

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Rain
Feb 9 2009, 01:02 AM
Take a look at the little intro I made real quick. I'll have a more full response later - I'm busy with family atm.

it's really rough and I have /just/ learned how to insert additional instruments. Furthermore, the ending is messed up. I also don't know how to slow down / speed up the tempo in different regions of the song - thus the feel is not 100% what I want.

This post has been edited by Rain: Feb 9 2009, 01:07 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SoundofRain.gp5 ( 3.75K ) Number of downloads: 82

--------------------
Galneryus [SYU / YUUTO-LEDA] - the GazettE - Sonic Syndicate - Versailles - Sadie - Takayoshi Ohmura - Steve Vai - MintJam - Sex Machineguns - Gentaro Satomura - CYCLE - Paul Gilbert - X Japan - Disturbed

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 9 2009, 01:30 AM
Instructor
I just listened to it, it sounds ruff, but very cool and melodic. You need more work on this and give it a bit better structure IMO. This way it will sound better.

For audio work I recommend that you install Reaper. Many users here use it, and I think you will learn it quickly it's easy. You can make backings and record yourself playing in Reaper.

As for Guitar Pro, when you are on the bar where you wanna change the tempo, press F10, and then you will see the parameters that you can change. Check tempo at the bottom and insert a new value.

Ask if you need more questions mate please,

all the best

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Feb 9 2009, 01:31 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rain
Feb 9 2009, 02:32 AM
Ivan:

Back from dinner so I can kind of pay a bit more attention now. I will definitely go through the tutorial you mentioned and try to capture all of the theory elements I need in order to better my work.

In terms of structure - how should I begin? I just installed reaper so I will begin working there, but in terms of organizing the piece in such a way that it sounds good and not "rough" - what do you recommend?

PS: I was using TuxGuitar - I don't have GP5 but I had to use that file extension to upload the piece

About the piece in general: I was just trying to mess with using different techniques I knew (repetition, some licks I was familiar with, and some sweeping). Furthermore, this was only supposed to be an introduction. I'm definitely not calling this a finished product. As a result of my limited TuxGuitar knowledge, I was not able to clean anything up and polish it to at least give a decent presentation - this problem will be extinguished over time. My method for creation of the piece revolved around the use of the A Aeolian scale with a few note exceptions to add to what /I/ thought sounded good. I will need to add additional scales and instruments (which I began learning how to do today,actually) and timings to make the piece sound more professional.

Once I develop the piece on "paper" or, in this case, computer screen, I will attempt to perform it. Unfortunately, I am only equipped with a guitar and a laptop build-in mike - so I don't know how it will all work out.

EDIT: I won't be able to purchase Reaper, unfortunately

This post has been edited by Rain: Feb 9 2009, 02:39 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 10 2009, 01:10 AM
Instructor
Hey man,

In terms of structure you can begin by combining different components of the song to sound good together. Here's an example of a structure:

Intro
main theme
Verse 1
Verse 2
Chorus 1
main theme
Verse 3
Chorus 2
Bridge
Chorus 3

I think the piece has a lot of potential, and through time you will learn how to make it sound even better. Just take it easy, and if you see that it is not working, make a pause and come back with a fresh set of ears. This can mean a lot when the creativity goes down sometimes.

I can suggest getting a Toneport GX device. It costs 50$ and it will solve all your recording problems. WHat laptop do you have btw (what config)

You don't have to buy Reaper, Reaper is free, it just asks you to buy it, but you can use it freely and legally.

cheers
Ivan

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rain
Feb 10 2009, 09:36 PM
Ivan,

Heya biggrin.gif

It's an Acer Aspirce 6530 laptop. Dolby Home-Theater addition (built in sub tube under the screen).

AMD Athlon X2 64bit
ATI Graphics
Windows Vista

with
ATI HDMI Audio
Realtek High Def. Audio

It has a built-in mike but that's as far as I've come in terms of being able to record (knowing what i have biggrin.gif)

I didn't know that about Reaper - I'll keep working with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 11 2009, 10:44 PM
Instructor
It's a good machine, and it can do the job nicely. If you really wanna record properly guitars and everything, you need speakers and POD Studio GX interface. It's cheap and it will solve all your recording problems. Realtek is not a good solution for any audio production work. It can work, but it is not very comfortable because of the latency. You can check out this post of mine for some more detailed info:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=301294

If you have any questions, feel free to ask mate, cheers ! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:14 PM