2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Look Around Mixdown, Final piece and comments
Pavel
Jan 18 2008, 10:38 PM
Instructor
"Look Around" Rock Solo Collaboration

Attached File  Look_Around_Collab.mp3 ( 5.46MB ) Number of downloads: 504

It's finally finished and i want to announce the list of members and guests who participated and contributed to this great (IMO) collaboration!

A total of 11 members contributed their solos to this collab:

Main players:

1. preownedguitar
2. Juan M. Valero
3. Andrew Cockburn
4. David Wallimann
5. botoxfox
6. Iluha
7. coffeeman
8. nikolai
9. fatb0t

Surprise-Guest Appearances:

10. Muris
11. Ivan Milenkovic

Comments

1. preownedguitar
Yours was the first solo uploaded and i really liked your sound - actually TYPE of sound. I like the spacey distortion lead with some delay/reverb on it - it hits the collab mood very well. However, i would suggest you try adding some "meat" to your sound - make it a bit thicker, try adding some more middle and bass frequencies. The first part of the solo was good, but in the second part i could feel a bit of a: "I'm not sure what to do here!" feeling. The last note hits the solo perfectly i really liked that ending smile.gif Good job!

2. Juan M. Valero
Love the screaming sound of your guitar man! You got some really cool ideas and i can feel a lot of Steve Vai influence in your tapping licks smile.gif There are some missing notes in that alternate picking part wink.gif and you can also try playing those AP licks with neck pickup - it really makes them sound smoother and more "in the spot". Thanks for taking part m8 - loved it all in all! smile.gif

3. Andrew Cockburn
I can hear a lot of practicing in your playing! Really clean playing man. However, you sound like you are afraid to go around the fretboard - relax man! It's like driving your first car - you just hit the gas and you don't care where you go - you just enjoy driving - same goes here smile.gif

Ok, now about those sweeps - i listened a lot to your solo and noticed that you use a lot of repeating notes. You play it really clean and you're on a good way with sweeping but if you play sweeps at that speed you want to avoid repeating notes and i included the GP5 file with your sweeping part and 2 possible variations you can try just to see that you have a choice smile.gif

Attached File  For_Andrew.gp5 ( 2.32K ) Number of downloads: 195

And those repeating notes are not only in your sweeps but also regular AP phrases - it sounds all fine until you hit a repeating note for no reason - it destroys the phrase and is like: "Should i stop or continue driving?" and sounds really unsure so try avoiding those repeating notes unless they are REALLY needed for the rhythm - but the way you play them here they don't sound rhythmically important.

Thanks for your solo! smile.gif

4. David Wallimann
David totally blew me away with this solo! The harmony part is amazing! I keep listening to it again and again smile.gif Thanks for your contribution smile.gif

5. botoxfox
You hit the first bend straight away and overdid it a bit wink.gif Also you missed 1 note from the scale in the first descending part in your solo but it's no big deal - the main thing is to make sure you know all the scale boxes and it will not happen to you again wink.gif The rest after that is all cool! I like your sound in this solo.
Practice a bit more of tapping and correct bending pitch and you'll be on a good way my friend smile.gif

6. Iluha
By the start of the solo i was expecting something really cool and screamy but you stayed at the same part of the neck for too long and did not develop your idea. Also instead of repeating the beginning of the solo later in the solo you could replace it with some cool AP run and develop it into a much better and cooler solo. These are just suggestions - don't kill me for that biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I appreciate your contribution man smile.gif

7. coffeeman
You got a cool sound there but your only problem is your timing - you lose the track of timing pretty often so i suggest you practice soloing with metronome. The tapping mistakes are also due to the timing instability smile.gif You'll get it with a bit of metronome practice every day smile.gif Nice solo overall - the idea of it is great, you only need to fix your timing and you're on the road to good soloing smile.gif

8. nikolai
I added a bit of reverb to your sound so it sounds more "in the feel" with the backing track and the whole piece. I have to say you have a correct approach to the construction of the solo but you lack some "performance" - i mean you need to make your ideas sound more confident, if it's a long note than hit it with some vibrato and it will sound really like: "Hey, i'm standing here and i know what i'm doing!" - than you'll really grow in your soloing. I would also suggest you working on your sound a bit - you got too much treble and not enough "meat". Middle and bass are also important parts of the sound so experiment with it a bit smile.gif
I encourage you to take part in our future collabs - don't be afraid - you're on a good way smile.gif

9. fatb0t
I also added a bit of reverb to your solo - sounds a lot better IMO. You got some decent bends - they are pretty precise (the first one in the end is out of pitch but immediately after it you hit a perfect bend so i guess it was accidently). But you do need to work on your AP so when you are playing a phrase or a run you're sure that THOSE are the notes you need to play and not some unsure dribbling 'cause it sounds like: "Ouch, uff, ouch this hurts...ouch, uff, oh..." like you're walking on the broken glass biggrin.gif

Good job all-in-all! smile.gif Thanks for jumping in and helping us out with the number of playing members smile.gif

10. Muris
Do i need to comment this? wink.gif Listening to a solo like this you can easily say that you're listening to a really experienced player smile.gif The melodies in the second part of the solo are particularly good - amazing! And i must say that your start in the middle of the bar gave me some troubles aligning it with the backing track biggrin.gif biggrin.gif But than i decided that i will align it easier if i use the last bar of the solo for that biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

11. Ivan Milenkovic
Thanks for gust-appearance man! Some cool licks in there and i am sure GMC-ers will benefit from listening to instructor's solos smile.gif I got nothing to say there - thanks smile.gif

Final word:

This turned out better than i expected and all of you perfectly matched the style of solo i expected for this backing track. Some people need to improve some of their skills, and i am glad we have something to improve on because otherwise we wouldn't need GMC smile.gif Read the comments and feel free to ask questions.

Special thanks to newcomers who stepped out and tried their skills in this collab! smile.gif

Feedback is really appreciated! See you all around GMC smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Pavel: Jan 18 2008, 10:39 PM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Jan 18 2008, 10:47 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Pavel what an awesome collab. Thank you for your words, the metronome is my new girlfriend , im working really hard with "her".

Thanks Again and congratulations.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 18 2008, 10:48 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
wow! totally excellent collab, excellent backing track (wish I joined but doing so many lately I didnt want to seem a collab hog laugh.gif )

great solo`s by everyone, great comments, excellent!! great work by everyone! cool.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 18 2008, 11:52 PM
GMC:er
Thanks Pavel, I like how detailed your criticisms are they really help!

I learned the major scale specifically for that collab, so my AP stinks because I don't know the scale well enough! Gotta practice your Ionian speed picking lesson a lot more.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 18 2008, 11:53 PM
Moderation Policy Director
This turned out really well smile.gif

Thanks a lot for your comments Pavel, it means a lot that you said my playing was clean, considering where I started from when I joined GMC just under a year ago!

Thanks too fro the Sweep alternatives, I'll have a lot of fun studying them, and the pointers on repeated notes and fretboard movement, thanks for taking the time to give me this feedback, you rock!

And well done to all the other collaborators - excellent job all around smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 19 2008, 12:13 AM
Instructor
Great takes and collab,good work everyone!! smile.gif

Sorry for aligning troubles Pavel sad.gif

You could set it on stereo track since it's stereo file
and has some stereo efxs on but no big deal tho. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Muris: Jan 19 2008, 12:23 AM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jan 19 2008, 12:21 AM
Get to da Chopper!
awesome guys! congrats to all smile.gif

+Quote Post
chast
Jan 19 2008, 01:38 AM
Learning Roadie
Very cool stuff in here smile.gif
Congrats

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 19 2008, 01:48 AM
Instructor
Great collab Pavel, great job guys! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jan 19 2008, 01:56 AM
awesome collab i love it!!!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
Jan 19 2008, 06:42 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 18 2008, 05:38 PM) *
1. preownedguitar
Yours was the first solo uploaded and i really liked your sound - actually TYPE of sound. I like the spacey distortion lead with some delay/reverb on it - it hits the collab mood very well. However, i would suggest you try adding some "meat" to your sound - make it a bit thicker, try adding some more middle and bass frequencies. The first part of the solo was good, but in the second part i could feel a bit of a: "I'm not sure what to do here!" feeling. The last note hits the solo perfectly i really liked that ending smile.gif Good job!

Hey thanks, I actually was looking for a thicker sound but still getting used to the new POD X3, and think I've found a thicker more presence sound with that preset. Thanks for this great collaboration, hope to see more of them from you in the future. Also the constructive criticism is very helpful.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
nikolai
Jan 19 2008, 10:47 AM
first off, everyone did a great job on this!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 18 2008, 04:38 PM) *
8. nikolai
I added a bit of reverb to your sound so it sounds more "in the feel" with the backing track and the whole piece. I have to say you have a correct approach to the construction of the solo but you lack some "performance" - i mean you need to make your ideas sound more confident, if it's a long note than hit it with some vibrato and it will sound really like: "Hey, i'm standing here and i know what i'm doing!" - than you'll really grow in your soloing. I would also suggest you working on your sound a bit - you got too much treble and not enough "meat". Middle and bass are also important parts of the sound so experiment with it a bit smile.gif
I encourage you to take part in our future collabs - don't be afraid - you're on a good way smile.gif

thanks for the constructive criticism, i've decided to add some reverb to my personal setup after hearing the final mix. I also noticed i used way too much distortion for the sound im looking for, so that has been turned down a little bit.

i am working on my performance and technique daily, by the time i do another collab it should be much better!!

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 19 2008, 10:48 AM
Instructor
You are welcome! smile.gif See if you can add some delay - it is IMO way better than reverb if you set it to low feedback smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 19 2008, 10:56 AM
GMC Founder
Pavel - WOW!! blink.gif laugh.gif

You nailed this one - excellent sounding and superb, constructive feedback! I wish I had participated in this one!!

Also I agree that we can sense a lot of practcing and progressing in Andrew's playing, the forumfather! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
Jan 19 2008, 10:58 AM
Yup it was a great first collab, but hey it was comming from the Lord of the Ring finger.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jan 19 2008, 12:25 PM
Was a great collab smile.gif

Thanks for the comment Pavel but I completly disagree, Intially I WAS going to throw in an alt picking run after the first harmonics, but it sounded too technical so I changed it, and also it does sound to me like it needs to turn into something screamy, but not in the first 30 seconds, if this was longer than it would turn into something of the sort smile.gif

Great job everyone!

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 19 2008, 12:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Iluha @ Jan 19 2008, 12:25 PM) *
Was a great collab smile.gif

Thanks for the comment Pavel but I completly disagree, Intially I WAS going to throw in an alt picking run after the first harmonics, but it sounded too technical so I changed it, and also it does sound to me like it needs to turn into something screamy, but not in the first 30 seconds, if this was longer than it would turn into something of the sort smile.gif

Great job everyone!

I like short solos more as long solos tend to become boring so i like to keep it short especially if we have 11 solos one after another. I think these 30 seconds were more than enough to construct a cool sounding solo smile.gif

The development of the solo depends on a backing track and as this is a pretty happy-sounding one i think some technical stuff is really appropriate smile.gif

Thanks Kris! You'll participate in the next one - i'm sure of that smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jan 19 2008, 12:50 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 19 2008, 01:41 PM) *
I like short solos more as long solos tend to become boring so i like to keep it short especially if we have 11 solos one after another. I think these 30 seconds were more than enough to construct a cool sounding solo smile.gif

The development of the solo depends on a backing track and as this is a pretty happy-sounding one i think some technical stuff is really appropriate smile.gif
Thanks Kris! You'll participate in the next one - i'm sure of that smile.gif

Well I guess this is just a conflict of styles, I'm more into blues and avoid technical stuff as much as possible and instead I put unique melodies, and I'm not going to force it to go in any direction it doesn't want to go, I'm really proud of my take and wouldn't change it to anything, but I respect you'r opinion and understand where it's coming from smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 19 2008, 01:28 PM
Instructor
I think you got me wrong - i'm not telling you what to do - i'm just saying that in a solo - especially if it's short, there is no place for repeating same 10 seconds long ideas as they become boring smile.gif The beginning is great - but you could have developed it better smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jan 19 2008, 01:41 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 19 2008, 02:28 PM) *
I think you got me wrong - i'm not telling you what to do - i'm just saying that in a solo - especially if it's short, there is no place for repeating same 10 seconds long ideas as they become boring smile.gif The beginning is great - but you could have developed it better smile.gif

This is such a useless argument man.. everyone has their own approach, this is mine, and I think it stands out in the collab by the fact that I looked at the backing as MINOR instead of MAJOR.

Again, there's nothing I would do to change it because this is allready gone through several changes before being at this state, I can see why you won't like it because it isn't you'r style, but this is my style and I'm sticking to it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:17 PM