2 Pages V  < 1 2  
From Zero To Hero!
AlexLion
May 2 2009, 07:34 AM
GMC:er
Fkalich - you are interested in philosophy?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by AlexLion: May 2 2009, 11:30 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 2 2009, 10:22 AM
Instructor
I just saw these videos.
I don't like laughing at people but this is priceless !
Wrap and US flag in the background ? laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 2 2009, 11:53 AM
QUOTE (AlexLion @ May 2 2009, 01:34 AM) *
You are interested in philosophy?

No, I used to. I have always liked Chuang Tzu, it pretty much just says what people think is so important, is highly overrated, to be happy with yourself, and keep your mind open. "The greatest traveler is the one who does not know where he is going."

But my main philosophy now is built around Einstein and Quantum Mechanics. I like knowing this stuff, but I am not sure everybody wants to know about it, especially because all evidence shows those to be correct. Things like that what we call "now" is relative, as is the ordering of events, and this will differ among others in the cosmos depending on their velocity and location relative to us. In fact it takes very little change in velocity for a purple lizard person 10 billion light years away, to make their "now" in our solar system shift back or forward a century. And Quantum Mechanics gets weirder, nothing really exists until we experience it, until then all is just a possibility. And the future can effect the present, that is weird. And all times exist just as your time now exists, there is nothing special about the current time you are in. All laws of physics apply both backwards and forwards in time equally well, the arrow of time forward is just an illusion, it is just a matter of low entropy in the past, due to the "big bang" (which just happens once in awhile, being the infinity is infinity, and sooner or later things happen, when there is an infinite time for them to happen.) Oh, and the fact that the distance from the Sun to the last Planet Neptune, is only about 4 light hours. But from the center of our galaxy to the edge of the galaxy is about 100 million times as far as that. And from the center of the universe to the edge of the Universes is like 2 million times as far as the distance from the center of the galaxy to the edge of the Galaxy. Except that there really is no center of the universe, nor any edge. Stuff like that. All the weirdness I need. Probably too much for a mammalian mind really.

Regarding that guy's Turkish March, I am going to keep it, he demonstrates most of the things one should not do, and that is instructional. But really, at least he is assertive, he clearly doe's not give a rat's tush what anybody thinks, and just has fun, you have to admire that, provided you have ear plugs should it go on for too long.

edit: btw, there is an British guy (living in Spain I believe), one of the original GMC seniors, here who has a PhD in philosophy, named Tony. He does not post much anymore, but does once in awhile.

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 2 2009, 12:01 PM

+Quote Post
berko
May 2 2009, 12:11 PM
So...ugh...I think I missed the point of this thread

Is it about laughing at someone who cannot play an instrument but is consistent and did post a video nonetheless? From zero to zero? C'mon...

That being said I still enjoyed these videos because of the background and the facial expressions etc.

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 2 2009, 12:23 PM
QUOTE (berko @ May 2 2009, 06:11 AM) *
So...ugh...I think I missed the point of this thread

Is it about laughing at someone who cannot play an instrument but is consistent and did post a video nonetheless? From zero to zero? C'mon...

That being said I still enjoyed these videos because of the background and the facial expressions etc.

I think this is one of those free from stream of consciousness thread initiated with a catalyst.

I agree he is a bit enjoyable, although kind of the "once is enough for my lifetime" variety of enjoyable. And he really does demonstrate well all the bad things one can do. After watching him I thought "well I am not that sloppy, but I still am not perfect in my Hot version, not flawless, not all my notes are always perfectly articulated, and anyone who knows music knows the difference between flawless and "flawed but hopefully with the backing track and enough echo nobody will notice". So he reinforced how I feel, make it right, so it sounds without any apparent flaw when played even without echo/backing/drumbeat. So that was good to be reminded of that. I feel strongly that way, what prevents people today from often taking things to the highest level, is the backing, because there is a tendency to get things pretty good but not perfect, and they use those to smooth things over, rather than really perfecting things. So this was a good instructional video for me. And he sang like a dog, which I really like more than guys Growling, I like dog howling a lot more than Growling.

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 2 2009, 12:52 PM
You know, I have listened to this guy a few times, and he has grown on me. I know he sucks in a technical way, but really, he has a style, he has a lot of things some guys with all kinds of technical expertise could learn a lot from. And he clearly is having a good time. I would say after several beers, in a Bosnian bar, he would be a hoot!

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
May 2 2009, 01:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ May 1 2009, 06:59 PM) *
From the same band:

Interesting singing laugh.gif

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Canis
May 2 2009, 02:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
Ah, if I remember correctly, this is the melodic mastermind who gave Emir and Muris "constructive critizism" for this video:

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 2 2009, 04:34 PM
QUOTE (Canis @ May 2 2009, 04:12 PM) *
Ah, if I remember correctly, this is the melodic mastermind who gave Emir and Muris "constructive critizism" for this video:

Aaaah, priceless video ohmy.gif

I just saw this - it`s HILARIOUS in one part biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by AlexLion: May 2 2009, 04:44 PM

+Quote Post
djohnneay
May 4 2009, 05:21 PM
I couldn't watch it another 3 minutes...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 4 2009, 05:38 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (fkalich @ May 2 2009, 10:53 AM) *

edit: btw, there is an British guy (living in Spain I believe), one of the original GMC seniors, here who has a PhD in philosophy, named Tony. He does not post much anymore, but does once in awhile.

Spain in the Summer sun is a lovely place from which to philosophise smile.gif cool.gif

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 4 2009, 05:56 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ May 4 2009, 11:38 AM) *
Spain in the Summer sun is a lovely place from which to philosophise smile.gif cool.gif

Philosophize on this. I did yesterday in the Kansas Summer sun.

A rocket that goes at 1/2 the speed of light takes off from earth towards a mirrored space station a light hour away.
At the same time from Earth, a laser beam is directed towards the space station.

If you work it out, you find that because the speed of light is a constant, from the perspective of earth, the rocket will be 1/2 light hour away when the beam hits the space station. But according to special relativity, from the rocket's perspective it will only be 1/3 light hour out when the laser beam hits the space station. Fine. Because of the relative difference in velocity, the three dimensional spacial slices at a given time differ for the two. No problem.

Now from the earths perspective, it of course will not see this event at one hour, it will see it at two hours. But now, at one hour, the Rocket be seen from earth as being 1/3 light hour out, because it took the rocket 40 minutes to get there, and 20 minutes for the view to return. Even though we know from earth's perspective, the rocket is really 1/2 light hour away at that point in time. Ok fine, that makes sense.

But the thing is, what the earth sees, is what actually occurs from the Rockets perspective!

If you change the numbers, say the rocket can go 1/3 light hour speed rather than 1/2, you will find the same thing happens. Seems like it has to mean something.

I mean, according to quantum mechanics, the tree only falls when someone sees it, until then it is just a probability. So I am thinking that this all means something.

Now philosophize on this in the Spanish sun, you better wear a hat.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 4 2009, 06:17 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Not really my end of philosophy - my end is more phenomenology, Heidegger, Husserl, Derrida and so on - but it sounds not unsimilar to Langevin's 'twins paradox' which is related to the special theory of relativity as I recall and the Lorenzt transforms.

A philosophical way of looking at this would probably be from Henri Bergson and his theory of time. As I recall Bergson (long time since I read him) he'd probably argue that the issue is that the STR is not relative enough and the paradox is predicated on an impossibility - ie occupying multiple time references at a single point in time.

As to the tree - Schrodinger's cat and wave theory might be worth looking in to smile.gif .

You might enjoy Isabelle Stingers' works on the philosophy of science with Ilya Prigigone by the way fkalich.

I don't like hats btw and never wear them so the sun probably addled by brain years ago smile.gif .

This post has been edited by tonymiro: May 4 2009, 06:18 PM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 5 2009, 04:29 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ May 4 2009, 12:17 PM) *
Not really my end of philosophy - my end is more phenomenology, Heidegger, Husserl, Derrida and so on - but it sounds not unsimilar to Langevin's 'twins paradox' which is related to the special theory of relativity as I recall and the Lorenzt transforms.

A philosophical way of looking at this would probably be from Henri Bergson and his theory of time. As I recall Bergson (long time since I read him) he'd probably argue that the issue is that the STR is not relative enough and the paradox is predicated on an impossibility - ie occupying multiple time references at a single point in time.

As to the tree - Schrodinger's cat and wave theory might be worth looking in to smile.gif .

You might enjoy Isabelle Stingers' works on the philosophy of science with Ilya Prigigone by the way fkalich.

I don't like hats btw and never wear them so the sun probably addled by brain years ago smile.gif .

Thanks for references. You obviously have a good head of hair, if you don't like hats in the Spanish sun.

My figures were wrong anyway. I failed to take in space time compression. The distance to the Space Station for the rocket has shrunk to about 86.6% of that from the earth's perspective, because of the rocket's velocity. So the beam hit in his time/space at about 29% of the way to the space station (from the earth's perspective). Time for him had slowed to to about 58% of that of earth, not 67% as I had misfigured earlier.

If I was not so lazy, I would learn the math, rather than doing this abstractly, and not make such errors.

Glad I cleared that up, now I can sleep at night.

I realize this is not exactly in topic with the thread. Actually, arguably as off tangent as a thread could get from it's original intent. The Bosnian Guitarist/Singer does not have a lot to do with Einstein or Philosophy, I can see that.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:47 PM