Quick Licks #96 - Double Picking Gone Wild
Todd Simpson
Sep 7 2019, 09:27 PM
GMC:er
In this Quick Licks, let's do a bit of "DOUBLE PICKING" which is just striking a given note twice. In a given pattern, if you were going to strike a note once, then an adjacent note twice, to 'Double Pick" it, you'd strike the first note twice and the adjacent note four times.

It's important to keep a LOOSE grip on your pick without letting your hand go slack. Finding the middle ground is the most important thing. If you tense up, you will WRECK your endurance and your precision. This is a Drill all about helping your hand find the perfect balance between playing briskly and not tensing up. Give it a go!!

Attached File  96.gp5 ( 2.33K ) Number of downloads: 18289

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 8 2019, 10:55 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Working on it. Had a micro vacation this weekend so tomorrow I'm on it wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 9 2019, 01:14 AM
Give em Hell!!
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 8 2019, 05:55 PM) *

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 10 2019, 04:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 8 2019, 11:55 PM) *

You might have already spotted this pattern, that might make it easier to remember:

Attached Image

I'm still working my way up from about Quick Licks 48. Maybe some day I'll get to this one! smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 10 2019, 06:41 PM
Thanks buddy. You know I struggle with pattern sequences, cheers.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 10 2019, 03:16 PM) *
You might have already spotted this pattern, that might make it easier to remember:

Attached Image

I'm still working my way up from about Quick Licks 48. Maybe some day I'll get to this one! smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 11 2019, 05:47 AM
Remember, precision first! Speed comes with repetition.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 10 2019, 01:41 PM) *
Thanks buddy. You know I struggle with pattern sequences, cheers.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 14 2019, 08:43 PM
Take 1 Sarge, there is a little hiccup in there, REC button syndrome. Like a total dingbat I went and practised this without the repeats, I didn't spot them and only listened to your video once so when I discovered them the other night as I was playing along with GP5 for the first time just prior to shooting the video I went into meltdown. It took a lot to train those repeats in after learning it without rolleyes.gif I did go around 15% quicker without the repeats laugh.gif

https://youtu.be/0RsghmgqFQs

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 14 2019, 09:24 PM
You've got it! This one is yet another lick that is all about double picking adjacent strings. I've got wads of licks that fall in to this category. Once you get the left hand down, you can just pick which notes you use on the right hand. You may notice it feels similar to some other licks on the pick hand. It's a complex bit of picking so well done!
You just....
LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image
Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 14 2019, 03:43 PM) *
Take 1 Sarge, there is a little hiccup in there, REC button syndrome. Like a total dingbat I went and practised this without the repeats, I didn't spot them and only listened to your video once so when I discovered them the other night as I was playing along with GP5 for the first time just prior to shooting the video I went into meltdown. It took a lot to train those repeats in after learning it without rolleyes.gif I did go around 15% quicker without the repeats laugh.gif

https://youtu.be/0RsghmgqFQs

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Sep 26 2019, 07:38 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 5 2019, 08:50 PM
NICE!! Also is that axe an Ibanez RG560? Looks a lot like mine! I love the HSS pickup configuration. It's sorta rare to see it on Ibbys as they rarely put that config on their guitars. This is a SERIOUS picking drill that may be a bit much honestly for a quick lick, but you KILLED IT!! You don't even look like you are breaking a sweat when playing it. This picking pattern is the basis for a TON of licks. You've got it down!! Sorry I didn't notice this one til now! The badge is lower than your current rank as it's a make up.

You just..
LEVLED UP!!
and remain the TOP DAWG!!!!!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Sep 26 2019, 02:38 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:13 AM