Spotify, Low Royalty Rates
PosterBoy
Aug 22 2012, 09:57 AM
Learning Roadie
http://tapeop.com/blog/2012/08/11/why-and-...medium=facebook

Interesting article

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 22 2012, 10:38 AM
Instructor
Very interesting, thank you smile.gif

My favourite line is here, and is one which I think applies to a lot of people's approach in the 'industry'

My problem with this argument is that it preys on artist insecurity

Most stuff does. It's like saying' if you don't do this and join site X and pay this fee and upload your tracks to X then you'll never make it because you didn't try hard enough, blah blah blah..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 22 2012, 12:34 PM
Instructor
I bookmarked it and will read it tonight after the training session - thanks man! Anything related to these topics is interesting and worth reading smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 22 2012, 12:59 PM
GMC Founder
Checked it quickly and if I my understanding is correct the author is saying the big labels and spotify win - and musicians loose? (because the musician's share is so small)

That must mean Spotify is perfect for us who aren't signed to any label (big or small)? We get the whole share (label share + musician's share)

Now the question is why I don't get anything from my Spotify tracks - perhaps I am signed without knowing about it?! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Aug 22 2012, 01:02 PM
GMC:er
I love spotify, there are even some instructors from GMC that have their music
at spotify. biggrin.gif its free in the netherlands when you have the national phone provider

--------------------

+Quote Post
korblitz
Aug 22 2012, 01:05 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I would rather listen to music on Grooveshark than spotify.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 22 2012, 03:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (korblitz @ Aug 22 2012, 09:05 AM) *
I would rather listen to music on Grooveshark than spotify.

The same here! I have never used Spotify but I am curious about this article. I bookmarked to read it later today.
Thanks for sharing! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 22 2012, 04:10 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I like both. I used Grooveshark for a year because it was much cheaper, now they raised the prices a lot.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 28 2012, 05:08 AM
GMC:er
The spotify rates are quite low. Some lables won't use the service at all for that very reason. The lable that TYR is on dumped spotify as they said it was going to put them out of business. For indie artists, it's great just because it's more exposure. Until your music reaches some level (any level) of critical mass, your really just in the promotion/raising awareness grind. Getting over that hump is the big hurdle. There is so much music now that everyone can record at home and make a decent sounding product. You have to try to do something to get above the noise.

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Aug 22 2012, 04:57 AM) *

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 5 2012, 11:00 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I use Spotify and I really like it. It is true, Spotify doesn't make me rich, but at least people are legally listening to music through this service and whatever Spotify pais, they pay more than all those filesharing hosters, who pay nothing at all.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:44 PM