2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Guitar Care Long Term
black and white
May 22 2008, 01:22 PM
GMC:er
Greetings;

What do you all do to insure that your guitars remain in top condition. I have a strat and in visiting the fender site, there are loads of polishes and conditioners, wipes and cloths. I was wondering what you all did to makes sure your favorite friends stayed looking great.

I also was wanting to know where you all stored your equipment. I have kept mine in the case, but wondered what was best for the instrument.

Thanks in advance.

Hope everyone is well

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fatb0t
May 22 2008, 04:02 PM
I dunno, I like my guitars to look played...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Spreedmaster
May 22 2008, 04:16 PM
I have never used anything, and I only have a case for one of my guitars! tongue.gif I was thinking on getting some fretboard conditioner, string wipes etc, but is there much point?

--------------------
''It is not herasy, and I will not repent''

Guitars:B.C. Rich WMD SOB with EMG 81/85s and Afterburner
B.C. Rich green acrylic ice Mockingbird with Rockfield Mafia/Fat ass
Black Peavy Rotor EX
ESP LTD DV200 with an irongear hammerhead in the bridge

Gear: Marshall MG15DFX
POD 2.0
Dunlop crybaby
Behringer UM300
Danelectro FAB metal
Biyang DS-7
Behringer EQ700

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 22 2008, 04:21 PM
I don't do anything to them. I want them to look played also. I keep them in a case but they are worn down a bit. Especially my Parker Nitefly M as I use it at every practice and gig. It looks more rock and roll smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 22 2008, 04:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
I have all my guitars standing in a stand behind me and that's it. I have never used anything to keep their appearance. I jsut play them to keep them from getting dusty...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Strungout180
May 22 2008, 04:32 PM
I use Martin guitar polish on the body every two months when I change strings, and usually take them in for a proper setup every year or so.

Aside from that they just reside on a guitar stand behind me for fast and easy access.

--------------------
Electrics: Epiphone Japanese Les Paul Standard • Squire MIM Stratocaster/w. Texas Specials • Fender Robert Cray Standard

Acoustics: Takamine EG540 • Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar

Amps: Blackheart 5w/3w Little Giant

Effects: Boss SD-1 • Holy Grail Reverb • MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive • Boss DD3 Digital Delay • Crybaby Wah

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
May 22 2008, 04:49 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
I also keep them in their cases and I don't do much else. When changing strings I might put some oil on the board once in a while. I had one crappy mishap when I cracked the headstock off my LP but it was fixed and still plays great.
My opinion, imperfections add character, each guitar I own is named and has a story about the hell I've put them through. To me they have even more value now then when I originally bought them.
I am sure some would disagree with me though

Strungout180 check this out, this could save you some $$$
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/intonate.htm

This post has been edited by Hammerin Hank: May 22 2008, 04:50 PM

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
May 22 2008, 04:55 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
You can use fast fret to keep your strings clean ( if your strings are too durty they will have a bad effect on your fretboard, wich is bad on long term) so clean your string everytime after you finish playing, + change your strings when they look too old
there's also a special oil ( i think it's lemon oil !!!) you can buy it at guitar shops, you can put it on your fretboard when it looks a little dry
and also be carefull at not putting your guitar in the sun (or under rain), changing the condition may harm the neck ( but you can fix it)

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
May 22 2008, 04:59 PM
Instructor
A "care-set" from Dunlop should do the trick, something like this: http://www.thomann.de/fi/dunlop_maintenance_kit.htm

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
May 22 2008, 05:02 PM
A big thing to watch out for is warping your guitar's neck. If you keep it layed out flat on the floor then the neck will slowly start to bend, especially if the guitar has a thin neck (like most Ibanez's for example).

--------------------

+Quote Post
black and white
May 22 2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks for this info....that is what I am trying to discern. What is important for the instrument. I like the personal look that a guitar builds up after time, but also want to do what I can to take care of a great guitar. Good start, keep it coming...and thank you

And what are the pros and cons to keeping it flat in the case, versus upright in a guitar stand

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 22 2008, 05:07 PM
If it's in a case it is a lot more difficult to damage than on a stand.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 22 2008, 06:08 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I hold my guitars on a wall mounted holders (like ones in stores)..Its very practical for me to hold them that way...I don't actually use any stuff for cleaning except fast fret for strings..What can you recommend me for cleaning the rosewood fretboard and for the quilt top finish body ?

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
May 22 2008, 07:00 PM
Instructor
Bogdan, try to use oil lemon for clean up and feed the rosewood. For the top I just use a tender dry cloth.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 22 2008, 08:33 PM
Instructor
i hold my guitar on the wall special stand .and i use a special polish once every month

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 22 2008, 09:21 PM
Instructor
I gently wipe the guitar after every practice. It must be clean.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
May 22 2008, 09:26 PM
Get to da Chopper!
One tip: dont over-do the lemon oil.

You shouldn't be using it everytime you change strings, maybe once every 3-4 months!

Many people use it too often, when it comes to time to refret the neck (after a few years of use) when the frets are taken out oil will literally pour out! This will send the price of a refret through the roof, as the new frets wont sit properley at first.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 22 2008, 09:43 PM
Instructor
Didn't know that, thanks Deeproots smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: May 22 2008, 09:43 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 22 2008, 10:37 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Anything good for quilt top ? I try to use dry cloth but can't get everything off (stains from sweet on gigs etc) smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: May 22 2008, 10:37 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fran
May 23 2008, 12:22 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I use fast fret for te strings and then clean them with a cloth after playing. My haands sweat a lot and the strings look black fast.

Once a week or so I take a soft cloth and furniture cleaning spray (for wood), and wipe the body and neck.

Last thing I used was a Ernie ball fretboard conditioner (which are wipes that contain lemon oil) for the rosewood fretboard of one of my guitars which looked quite dry. But as has been mentioned doing that is only neccesary once or twice a year.

I keep the guitars in stands.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:34 PM