GNR
Death
GWAR
Ozzy Osbourne
The Highwaymen (don't act so surprised)
Scorpions
Black Sabbath
Millencolin
Rancid (no wait...I hate Rancid, but I love the song Time Bomb)

If you've never heard any one of them, let me know and I'll tell you the songs I like by each band.

GODS

R.I.P. Chuck

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rokchik
Jul 2 2007, 04:56 PM
The Dark Canuck
In no particular order:

Led Zeppelin - It's Zeppelin what else do I need to say...

Rage Against the Machine - Amazing thought provoking lyrics without being preachy over a kick as* sound created by one of the most original guitarists ever.

Guns N' Roses - My life has a GNR soundtrack... they have always been there through the good and the bad. Will always be one of my favorites.

The Rolling Stones - They've been around forever and are still going strong. Charlie Watts is just a cool mutha.

Metallica - Great riffs and just a great metal band. Probably my first real intro into metal.

Fleetwood Mac - Just a classic band...great songs with a lot of heart. Lindsey Buckingham is one of the greatest guitarists ever in my opinion.

Oasis - I just love them...Noel Gallagher is such a talented musician.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by rokchik: Jul 2 2007, 04:59 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 2 2007, 06:04 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (rokchik @ Jul 2 2007, 11:56 AM) *
Fleetwood Mac - Just a classic band...great songs with a lot of heart. Lindsey Buckingham is one of the greatest guitarists ever in my opinion.

Yay for Fleetwood Mac! I was looking through my music collection yesterday and came across Rumours, and I thought to my self, pity noone on GMC ever mentions Fleetwood Mac smile.gif

QUOTE (rokchik @ Jul 2 2007, 11:56 AM) *
Oasis - I just love them...Noel Gallagher is such a talented musician.

Um ... possibly our first disagreement Rokchik! I have to admit their songs are catchy and they deserve their popularity, but I can't get past the fact that Noel is such a Jerk - really spoils it for me.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 2 2007, 06:17 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Resurrection @ Jul 1 2007, 02:51 AM) *
1) Rush
Tremendous musicians and composers. Have never been scared to re-invent themselves. Geddys vocal style isn't for everyone, but there you go.

2) Rage Against The Machine
Innovative guitar textures and thoughtful lyrics against a rockin rhythm section!

3) Joe Satriani
OK, more an individual than a band, but he's as good as a band! The only rock guitar instrumentalist that consistently keeps me interested in that genre.

4) Red Hot Chili Peppers
Great songwriting. Fleas bass lines. The emotion John wrings from a guitar. Need I say more?
There's a bunch of other bands I listen to a lot, but those 4 have probably had the biggest effect on my attitude to playing the guitar.

Exactly . At least someone feels the same way I do.

_In regards to the person that likes Fall out boy._

Dont be embarrased or what ever of what you like. If you like it, who gives a shit what others think you know ? I will admit from kindergarten through 3rd grade my favorite color was purple. My sister called me a fag non-stop. But it didnt matter. I liked purple. And didnt care what she thought. And it wasnt until I changed my favorite color that I relized how gay it truely was. But do you get what im Saying ? tongue.gif

- John

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Jul 2 2007, 06:18 PM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Jul 2 2007, 07:30 PM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Jul 2 2007, 06:17 PM) *
Dont be embarrased or what ever of what you like. If you like it, who gives a shit what others think you know ? I will admit from kindergarten through 3rd grade my favorite color was purple. My sister called me a fag non-stop. But it didnt matter. I liked purple. And didnt care what she thought. And it wasnt until I changed my favorite color that I relized how gay it truely was. But do you get what im Saying ? tongue.gif
- John

Try being named Craig with 2 older sisters.....it rhymes! haha

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Pantalaimon
Jul 2 2007, 07:57 PM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Jul 2 2007, 12:17 PM) *
- John

my favorite color is purple. biggrin.gif

But thanks for that, haha I'm not really that embarrassed about it (if I was, I wouldn't have posted it)...I just get a hard time every once in a while because Fall Out Boy really aren't very talented in the music department...so people assume I have no taste in music henceforth.

--------------------
My Gear:
~Schecter C-1+ (black cherry) w/ Duncan Designed PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Fender Mexican Stratocaster (black) w/ stock PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Jasmine by Takamine acoustic (kinda crappy - $90)
~Fender Frontman 25R amp.
~Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal
~Dan-Ecko pedal

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Jul 2 2007, 08:07 PM
"Um ... possibly our first disagreement Rokchik! I have to admit their songs are catchy and they deserve their popularity, but I can't get past the fact that Noel is such a Jerk - really spoils it for me."
I hate Noel Gallagher.... especially for his mean, stupid attackes against the great phil collins.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Jul 2 2007, 08:14 PM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Jul 2 2007, 08:07 PM) *
"Um ... possibly our first disagreement Rokchik! I have to admit their songs are catchy and they deserve their popularity, but I can't get past the fact that Noel is such a Jerk - really spoils it for me."
I hate Noel Gallagher.... especially for his mean, stupid attackes against the great phil collins.

I don't object to Noels personality so much, but I do think his songwriting has stagnated badly since "Morning Glory". To me, Oasis now sound like their own tribute band - if you get what I mean!

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Jul 2 2007, 08:51 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 2 2007, 02:04 PM) *
Yay for Fleetwood Mac! I was looking through my music collection yesterday and came across Rumours, and I thought to my self, pity noone on GMC ever mentions Fleetwood Mac smile.gif
Um ... possibly our first disagreement Rokchik! I have to admit their songs are catchy and they deserve their popularity, but I can't get past the fact that Noel is such a Jerk - really spoils it for me.

He is a jerk...true. But Liam is a bigger one. laugh.gif I just really like their stuff and Noel does most of the writing. but Yeah I agree they are pretty pri*kish.

And ya gotta love Fleetwood Mac. Rumors is an awesome album. I love "The Dance" DVD and CD. Lindsey's version of "Big Love" from that is amazing. I posted it in the guitarist analyis section a little while ago.

QUOTE (Resurrection @ Jul 2 2007, 04:14 PM) *
I don't object to Noels personality so much, but I do think his songwriting has stagnated badly since "Morning Glory". To me, Oasis now sound like their own tribute band - if you get what I mean!

Definatley Maybe was the best stuff they ever did. Morning Glory was definatley the more commercial album though. As for the newer stuff I kinda agree with what you said, but I think it's more of them trying really hard to get back to the Defiatley Maybe days. I still like them though regardless.

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jul 2 2007, 09:48 PM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Jun 30 2007, 07:52 PM) *
Well, i used to hate heavy metal till about a year ago, so yeah. im just having a really bad day, my xbox 360 DESTROYS FOR NO REASON my elder scrolls 4: oblivion(my Favorite game ever) game disc by SCRATCHING ALL THE WAY THROUGh IT!

Awww man that SUCKS! I have a 360 also, and i love it. Did you get a new one? Oh ya and have you played the game Crackdown before?It's really good,if you have a 360 still you should try it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 2 2007, 09:51 PM
QUOTE (Pantalaimon @ Jul 2 2007, 10:57 AM) *
my favorite color is purple. biggrin.gif

But thanks for that, haha I'm not really that embarrassed about it (if I was, I wouldn't have posted it)...I just get a hard time every once in a while because Fall Out Boy really aren't very talented in the music department...so people assume I have no taste in music henceforth.

Yeah I wasnt trying to bash purple either, it has its times unsure.gif .

The only reason I dont like fall out boy is purely because thats all the radio stations around here played. And I to once liked them .

But I F
a
l
l
e
d

out of love with them souly because I was sick of Going down with sugar and being a victim of grand theft autum tongue.gif

Edit: MY XBOX IS BROKE ASWELL _ AND I MISS GEARS OF WAR , good thing the nice folks at microsoft are sending me a new one free of charge smile.gif

- John

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Jul 2 2007, 09:55 PM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Jul 2 2007, 11:07 PM
The mean people in the call centers in india that hardly speak english just give me the runaround. Apparently they have a ,And i qoute, "special team of experts" working on my problem. yeah right.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jul 3 2007, 12:04 AM
I just got my 360 back from repairs. Yeah, I really suck at Gears of War now sad.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
lost-jgs
Jul 3 2007, 07:12 AM
Waaay to many to list, but to name a few

3 Inches of Blood ( from my hometown )
Atreyu
Children of Bodom
Demons & Wizards
From Autumn to Ashes
Iron Maiden
Hendrix
Silent Civilian

--------------------
Guitars : PRS Santana SE Stop Tail, Jackson RR3
Amps: Vox DA5 Amp , Vox AD30VT
Effects: Line 6 Dr. Distorto

+Quote Post
Pantalaimon
Jul 3 2007, 07:31 AM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Jul 2 2007, 03:51 PM) *
Yeah I wasnt trying to bash purple either, it has its times unsure.gif .
The only reason I dont like fall out boy is purely because thats all the radio stations around here played. And I to once liked them .

But I F
a
l
l
e
d

out of love with them souly because I was sick of Going down with sugar and being a victim of grand theft autum tongue.gif

The worst part of it is, Sugar We're going down is a really good song, or rather, it was until the damn radio started playing 5 times an hour. mad.gif

--------------------
My Gear:
~Schecter C-1+ (black cherry) w/ Duncan Designed PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Fender Mexican Stratocaster (black) w/ stock PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Jasmine by Takamine acoustic (kinda crappy - $90)
~Fender Frontman 25R amp.
~Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal
~Dan-Ecko pedal

+Quote Post
No Payne No Gain
Jul 3 2007, 08:10 AM
Pantera is my favorite band to listen to now. I've been listening to all their albums including live 101 proof. on my mp3 player. before, I liked everything about them except for the screaming, but now it's all coming together into something I cant get enough of... Although I didn't start listening to them until after Dimebag was killed, pure coincidence, he is an idol of mine now. If you havn't listened to 101 proof, then listen to it, then you'll see..... Man I wish someone could put together a badass riff inspired by Dimebag. That would make me even happier I have a subscription.

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 3 2007, 07:37 PM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Jul 2 2007, 08:07 PM) *

By the very same reasoning I dont like Metallica or Megadeth.

Cant stand Mustaine and his religious, preaching babble.

And I just cant stand Hetfield or Lars because they talk so much crap that has no relevance to anything.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Bompa
Jul 12 2007, 08:19 PM
Children Of Bodom!

Alexi Laiho is my "guitar god" and he sings very well to me! smile.gif And the songs are really good! I love the speed , the riffs and solos!

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jul 13 2007, 03:35 PM
I have like 5 or 6 favourite bands that really stands out for me, so I guess I'll mention them here, in no particular order.

Opeth - Åkerfeldt is a musical genious, I just love the music because it's so beautiful, everything is perfect with them imo biggrin.gif

Ulver - Garm might even be more of a musical genious than Åkerfeldt, and the fact that they've gone from black metal to experimental electronica and still sounds awesome makes me really admire them.

Katatonia - My favourite doom metal band, and also my favourite drpressive rock band, and they've made one of my favourite records ever, namely Brave Murder Day (with Åkerfeldt on vocals!)

Agalloch - Influenced by early Ulver and Katatonia, but still they do their thing, and the feeling in all their songs is awesome, and they innovate a lot without sounding boring or forced, I have no words.

Isis - Sludge/post metal when it's best.

Sigur Rós - Beautiful icelandic post rock, allthough they have their ups and downs, everything that isn't perfect is forgiven when listening to the ( ) album.

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 13 2007, 03:54 PM
Some excellent bands mentioned here. I will list my top 5 bands and at the moment it's in no particular order.

In Flames - I had heard OF these for a while before i properly got into metal. I had heard one of their songs off of an internet movie actually and i instantly loved it, but i didn't really take it any further than that until a while later when i decided i was sick of listening to pop crap on the radio and wanted to get into my own music In Flames are the band that sprung to mind at the time and ever since i started listening to them i loved them. From their old stuff to new i love their riffing and rhythm stuff. Cloud connected is a good example of this. Also i love the melodic stuff they use and My Sweet Shadow was the song that made me decide finally that i wanted to play Guitar.

Children of Bodom - I've listened to this band for a while now but they never get boring. Alexi is a gret guitar player and his solos always seem to be something special. If i had to complain about COB it would have to be his vocals at times i think it can sound a bit bad but you get used to that and put up with it to listen to everything else because it's great. Obviously the most noticeable part about COB is the solo guitar stuff but i don't think the other band mates get enough credit.

Dark Tranquillity - A great band! Again sticking to the melodic death metal area which is my favourite style of metal (if anyone knows some really good melodic death metal bands let me know!) Love the riffing and the keyboard is kind of like the icing on the cake for this band it sounds great with it. And the vocals i think fits the band perfectly so they easily become one of my favourites. Having listened to their newest album released in April i believe it was a relief to hear they're sticking to their awesomeness.

Opeth - What a band! Opeth stuff seems so different to anything i've ever heard before and it's fantastic. Opeth totally blow me away and it's good to know that there are bands out there that can really make a difference and create different music. Opeth are an inspiration to me where guitar playing is concerned. I'm yet to hear a band like these

Killswitch Engage - I used to listen to these a lot and then stopped for a while and now really back into them. It's great KsE are one of those bands who really know how to play rhythm guitar properly and not just use nothing but power chords all the time like these crappy punk bands and stuff (no offense to anyone who likes punk)

So there's mine pretty much at the moment. I'm starting to get into stuff like Blind Guardian and Symphony X at the moment if anyone knows some great songs by them let me know also. Generally i'm really open to getting into new music so if you know any really good stuff then also let me know biggrin.gif. Try not to get me into black or death metal though it probably won't work.

This post has been edited by steve25: Jul 13 2007, 03:54 PM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:58 AM