Techniques Regardless Of Amp?
Darknodar123
Oct 23 2009, 04:08 PM
GMC:er
Hey...Im a new member of GMC and i just recently bought a guitar and got serious to learn it.So i have a question..

I heard from another topic that you can do techniques on a guitar regardless of an amp (hammer ons,pull offs,tapping etc)
But I have seen the Tapping Lesson that Kristofer Dahl made and clearly explains how to learn tapping.And i think Kris clearly makes sound by pressing his fingers on the fretboard.But on my guitar (dont have an amp) i cant do any tapping sad.gif .

Dont take what i say too seriously smile.gif As I said I dont have any experience on guitar so what you are going to hear from me will be newbie questions.

Chris biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Oct 23 2009, 04:14 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
He is not pressing his finger, but "hammering it" - You need to use some force while doing legato/tapping. Tapping is making a hammer-on and then pull-off with Your right hand finger, so if You haven't already, than check some Kris lessons about legato.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 23 2009, 04:20 PM
Well thats what i am doing but i dont get any sound of it.'

Anyway thanks for the help.

I was going to check the videos after i have got an amp but guess I should check them before i ask smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 23 2009, 04:21 PM
Instructor
All you need is more time, skills practicing and strength in fingers.
When playing legato and tapping (just an example) on unplugged guitar
the sound is not that powerful as when you play plugged in an amp
but it is not impossible to get a sound from it.
Thing is, electric guitar is supposed to be played plugged
since it doesn't have resonator like acoustic guitar do.
Keep working. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 23 2009, 04:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
You can train EVERY technique on an unplugged guitar that does not involve an effect or knob (like volume swells...).

Tapping CAN be trained without amplification but it's not very audible without it + if you don't know how to do it in the first place it makes it even harder...

You can ALWAYS train your fingers and mind with scales; you can fret and strum chords, you can train bending, sweeping, alternate picking and economy picking... There is plenty of techniques you can play without an amp!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 23 2009, 04:27 PM
Ok i would like to ask you a question.

I checked a while ago your legato and tapping lesson the 1 video (not main).I dont think you add any pressure at all when you hammer on or pull off.

But its maybe as you have stated.I need a lot of practice as I have viewing the Forum and GMC videos only 1 day.
Also i really have to get an amp soon as all of my question regards it.

Thanks guys for the great help biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 23 2009, 04:51 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Darknodar123 @ Oct 23 2009, 04:27 PM) *
I checked a while ago your legato and tapping lesson the 1 video (not main).I dont think you add any pressure at all when you hammer on or pull off.

I'm not Muris so I apologize to him in advance if I say something wrong about his playing, but I'm sure he is putting pressure. When you have a good technique you are using the least pressure possible so that's why you might thing hes not applying pressure.

Just incase this helps you the motion of a pull off isn't the opposite of a hammer on. You have to pull of downwards so your sort of "plucking" the string with your left hand.

This video might help you also if that last thing I said was useful to you.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 23 2009, 04:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darknodar123 @ Oct 23 2009, 05:27 PM) *
Ok i would like to ask you a question.

But its maybe as you have stated.I need a lot of practice as I have viewing the Forum and GMC videos only 1 day.
Also i really have to get an amp soon as all of my question regards it.

Thanks guys for the great help biggrin.gif

Ofc I add pressure, we all do, note cannot pop out from nothing!!
But it is matter of skills so you could really figure out how to add that pressure,
and there is also strength I mentioned before, it takes time and practicing. smile.gif

Long ago when I borrow an electric guitar from a friend
I tried to play a solo from Flying In A Blue Dream by Joe Satriani.
I even had an amp but I couldn't get any note using legato,
I was a total beginner, I had no skills, no strength in fingers etc.

What you are facing now are quite normal problems in beginner stage,
you need more time to overcome that, just don't rush it and work hard. smile.gif

edit:typo biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Muris Varajic: Oct 23 2009, 05:00 PM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 23 2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys for the great help.I may rush a little to things i dont know.But the idea that i will be learning guitar made me really excited.

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Oct 23 2009, 06:59 PM) *
Ofc I add pressure, we all do, note cannot pop out from nothing!!

HAHA.Guess you re right.But EVERY tapping lesson i see it seems there is no pressure at all.
Whats the secret you guys!!!!!!!!!
Well i may find out in a couple of years biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 23 2009, 09:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darknodar123 @ Oct 23 2009, 08:06 PM) *
HAHA.Guess you re right.But EVERY tapping lesson i see it seems there is no pressure at all.
Whats the secret you guys!!!!!!!!!
Well i may find out in a couple of years biggrin.gif

Don't worry, it will come much sooner than that, just focus on practicing legato techniques properly, and you'll get there relatively easy.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 24 2009, 12:52 PM
I got a Marshall 10W today and I try tapping but nothing happens.

Ok practice,practice,practice but no sound at all?

I watched the video Matt posted and it is fairly easy but i come to the conclusion that somethings wrong.Watch the video at 2:02!!!!

No sound comes at all from the fretboard when i hammer!!!

What the hell is going on!!!

I will only admit that I am doing something wrong until I see someone tapping on my guitar smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 24 2009, 01:11 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Right a couple of things for you to try. And before we begin, get some distortion on your amp.

1. Press your index finger as hard as you can onto the 5th fret of the D string (or any fret but that fret is a good place to start imo).

2. Pluck the string and make sure you're getting a clear note, if you're not then make sure you're finger is positioned well over the string so you're finger tip is pressing the string, and your finger is just before the bar that separates the 5th and 6th frets.

3. Only move on to this step when you have a clear note on the 5th fret. Now, with your index still fretting the 5th, press down on the 7th fret as hard as you can with your ring finger. Pluck the string and see if you get a clear note. If you do move onto the next step. If you don't, repeat the advice above until you do, then move on.

4. Get used to getting clear notes on each fret, until you can get them instaneously.

5. Now it's time to try a hammer on. Fret the 5th fret on the D string as hard as you can, an as soon as you've plucked it, hammer your ring finger down onto the 7th fret as hard as you can, remembering how your finger felt, and trying to do the same thing again, as when you got the note clearly earlier.

6. Keep doing this until it feels reasonably comfortable.

7. When you get good at it, you should relax your fingers and try to use only minimal effort, as pressing down as hard as you can is only good to get your first hammer on, it is not good technique.

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to ask. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Matt23: Oct 24 2009, 01:13 PM

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 24 2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Havent read the whole of it but I will.

Sorry If I rush too much smile.gif

This post has been edited by Darknodar123: Oct 24 2009, 01:17 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:10 AM