4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
The Best Guitar Tones Ever! (in Your Opinion)
audiopaal
Jul 10 2008, 10:26 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
This is an impossible question for me as I've got lots of favourites in different styles etc.
But here's 5 in each category I really like a lot, in no particular order!

Lead tones:

Gary Moore
Eddie Van Halen
Joe Satriani
Mark Knopfler
David Gilmour

Rythm/Riff tones:

Mark Knopfler
Dimebag
James Hetfield
Alex Scolnic
Billy Corgan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jul 10 2008, 10:46 AM
Instructor
Great thread steve25!
I’m of course very happy to see that my name is mentioned a couple of times here! smile.gif

What I’d like to add to this topic is that there are lots of things that affects the tone. We tend to focus on the gear; amps, pedals, strings, pick-ups, wood, etc etc… and yes, those things are important. But most important (in my opinion) is your fingers. A big part of the tone comes from your fingers.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 10 2008, 05:57 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Jul 9 2008, 08:29 AM) *
>Also the tone in final wars where the first lead part comes in.

>Mark Knopfler - Enough said.

EDIT:
>A few others I must add that haven't been mentioned much or yet are Hendrix - who could forget the man who practically started modern day guitar sounds and techniques etc. Yngwie Malmsteen - Flawless, all that needs to be said. John Frusciante - Hendrix inspired him in so many ways, even most of his guitar sounds, amazing guitarist as well! Of course John Petrucci. And one more for now...John 5 - like Buckethead he has many different sounds, very experimental and plays many different styles which results in lots of different tones, and they are good ones also

I love Hendrix, but thats why I mentioned Frusciante. I think he's the sucessor to Hendrix today. And his tone is better, if only because we have more control over our gear now biggrin.gif If I had to list all the people who experimented and gave us new ideas for today, my list would be wayyyyy too long so instead I listed those who learned the best from them, or who have just established unsurpassed tones of their own. smile.gif

QUOTE (black and white @ Jul 10 2008, 04:48 AM) *
Did anyone mention Clapton............I like him a lot and notice he does not get a lot of mention around here. Do people not like EC?

I love Clapton! But I don't see a lot thats special about his tone. Clapton has always been about the playing to me. He does get really nice tone, especially recently, but his tone pretty much stays where it is all the time.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Déjà vu
Jul 11 2008, 02:49 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Marcus Lavendell @ Jul 10 2008, 02:46 AM) *
A big part of the tone comes from your fingers.

Definitely! I've noticed that playing the same guitar, song, amp, and effects as my friend. Just little differences in the techniques we do variate the sound a great deal.

This post has been edited by Déjà vu: Jul 11 2008, 02:55 AM

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jul 11 2008, 10:53 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
QUOTE (Marcus Lavendell @ Jul 10 2008, 11:46 AM) *
Great thread steve25!
I’m of course very happy to see that my name is mentioned a couple of times here! smile.gif

What I’d like to add to this topic is that there are lots of things that affects the tone. We tend to focus on the gear; amps, pedals, strings, pick-ups, wood, etc etc… and yes, those things are important. But most important (in my opinion) is your fingers. A big part of the tone comes from your fingers.

+1000 wink.gif I have seen people entering a music store, complaining that they don't sound like James Hetfield, even though they bought "his" guitar and "his" amp in that shop... well, his fingers are not for sale I guess laugh.gif A good player will sound good on pretty much any equipment.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
rockztar
Jul 11 2008, 11:00 AM
GMC:er
As Marcus said i also like mark tremontis tone and micheal schenker. BUT i also like Thomas blug and Guthrie Govan And alot of other players tones

EDIT: Spelling

This post has been edited by rockztar: Jul 11 2008, 11:02 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS CE24 Amber
Yamaha C40

Amp:
Marshall dsl 401

Effect:
dd-6, cs-3, Emma ReezaFRATzitz - morley wah- rc-2

Guthrie Govan, Thomas blug, alex hutchings and many others

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:30 AM