Riff-creating Exercise - Debate, with downloadable mp3, TAB - and full song via YouTube
Jonas Tamas
Feb 15 2013, 02:13 PM
GMC:er
In my song Debate, I have come up with a kind of weird riff, using all the twelve notes of the octave.

I had two opposite goals when composing this riff. On the one hand, it had to be catchy and embraceable, and on the other hand, it had to be stern, heavy and unusual. As you can hear in the sound clip, the notes are arranged in a ‘chaotic’ way, but the rhythm pattern at the beginning of each bar is the same, so this repetition creates the connection between the different bars. The exception is bar 4 and bar 8, where I have used a different rhythm to round off the 4-bar cycle.

Notice the three long notes at the end of each bar: the first one is a C note, which is the 6th grade of the E minor scale. The second long note is an F sharp note, which is a tritone lower than the C. The tritone always creates a good deal of tension. And the third long note is a B flat, which is the ‘blue note’ of the scale, a tritone above the root. Note the frequent use of chromatics in bars 3 and 7-8. In bar 3, and in bar 7, the chromatic notes are right next to each other, while in bar 8, the group of three notes is repeated a semitone lower, thus creating a more subtle chromatic solution.

In this riff, the keyboard harmonies play an important role too. Listen to the different chords played by a soft, pad-like keyboard patch - each time it is a new feeling, with a different amount of tension or release.

Beginners' tip: start the downloaded riff as a looped playback, and try to play the open E section in each bar. In bar 1, it starts on the 1st beat, in bars 2-3 it starts at the place of the 2nd eighth note. Bar 4 is preparation for the next repeat.

http://soundcloud.com/jonas-tamas-guitar/debate-twelve-tone-riff

Attached Image

Attached Image

I share the full song here too, so you can hear how this riff is built into the whole structure. The amazing Mattias IA Eklundh is playing a guest solo on this track. Can you tell, which solo is his?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Debate_twelve_tone_riff.mp3 ( 883.26K ) Number of downloads: 52

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Feb 16 2013, 09:39 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
This is some intriguing music as usual! I don't think I would have noticed this is a '12 note riff', if you had not mentioned it first. smile.gif I tried it out a bit with the tab and it is a fun riff to play.
I think with the flanger and the open E add a unique twist to this riff as well.

My guess is that Mattias IA is the first solo that starts at :36?

Well, the whole track sounds terrific! I dig the theme/melody that comes in around 1:56 with the climbing riff. A lot interesting sounding parts to pick from this track.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 17 2013, 01:39 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Feb 16 2013, 09:39 AM) *
This is some intriguing music as usual! I don't think I would have noticed this is a '12 note riff', if you had not mentioned it first. smile.gif I tried it out a bit with the tab and it is a fun riff to play.
I think with the flanger and the open E add a unique twist to this riff as well.

My guess is that Mattias IA is the first solo that starts at :36?

Well, the whole track sounds terrific! I dig the theme/melody that comes in around 1:56 with the climbing riff. A lot interesting sounding parts to pick from this track.

Thanks a lot, Joe! Yes, you are right, the solo of Mattias IA Eklundh starts at 0:36.
I'm glad you've found the riff and the ideas useful, more to come soon! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:59 PM