Church Modes Loops
Nighthawk1
Feb 3 2009, 05:21 PM
GMC:er
Hi there GMC,
I have a question concerning using Sequencer Loops as a backing in sequencer softwares like Garage Band. You can choose there loops only from Major and Minor keys but what do you do if you wanna jam or construct something over a Church Mode? For example if I wanna inspire myself with some D-Dorian licks I can only choose some d-minor loops, which sometimes is enough but sometimes the loops play out of scale notes of course...in this case b flat
How do you do it? Do you use loops or do you compose your own backing always?
Thanks guys

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Nighthawk1: Feb 3 2009, 05:53 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 3 2009, 05:31 PM
Instructor
I use loops, but not exclusively.
I usually have a bass loop, then add some modal chords over that.
Do you know how to do that?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 3 2009, 05:47 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
GarageBand has to types of loops, audio and midi loops. The midi loops you can easily modify to create different chord progressions.

I don't have a keyboard to play the chords, so i just take some midi loops from the library as a basic. Drag the loop you like into the timeline and adjust the notes to build your progression. If you add a drum loop as well, you quickly can build a more or less nice sounding backing to jam to.

Of course you can play and record the chords with the guitar, but i like to have a more piano sound.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Feb 3 2009, 05:57 PM
Instructor
I compose my own backing and never use loops. I think you can learn a lot more by doing things on your own anyways. Harmony and rhythm at its best smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Feb 3 2009, 05:59 PM
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Feb 3 2009, 05:31 PM) *
I use loops, but not exclusively.
I usually have a bass loop, then add some modal chords over that.
Do you know how to do that?

Well, I know it from the theory yes. I maybe try it to modify the chord progressions of the loops (the midi loops). So the difference between the midi and the audio loops is that you can't modify the audio loops right? I used to think think audio files are always in a specific key because the were named "B cellos" for instance. But if tell the software that my main track is in a c-minor e.g. the key is automatically changed. Is this because the loops were played 24 times in all minor and major keys?
I also have a keyboard and I will try to make some church mode progessions backings with that.

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 3 2009, 06:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Feb 3 2009, 11:57 AM) *
I compose my own backing and never use loops. I think you can learn a lot more by doing things on your own anyways. Harmony and rhythm at its best smile.gif

You're right that it will help you improve, however I think that loops are super convenient to lay down a fast idea or create a good sounding backing track to work with when you are limited by time. :-)

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Feb 3 2009, 06:10 PM
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Feb 3 2009, 06:09 PM) *
You're right that it will help you improve, however I think that loops are super convenient to lay down a fast idea or create a good sounding backing track to work with when you are limited by time. :-)

Especially when you are a beginner at composing stuff...But it gets pathetic if you assemble some great loops together and then you have a nice melodic piece and you play some licks over it and then your friend says:...sounds great apart from the lead laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Nighthawk1: Feb 3 2009, 06:13 PM

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 3 2009, 06:17 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Nighthawk1 @ Feb 3 2009, 05:59 PM) *
Well, I know it from the theory yes. I maybe try it to modify the chord progressions of the loops (the midi loops). So the difference between the midi and the audio loops is that you can't modify the audio loops right? I used to think think audio files are always in a specific key because the were named "B cellos" for instance. But if tell the software that my main track is in a c-minor e.g. the key is automatically changed. Is this because the loops were played 24 times in all minor and major keys?
I also have a keyboard and I will try to make some church mode progessions backings with that.

Audio loops are recorded instruments (waveform). GB is managing somehow to transpose them in different keys, but the chord structure will stay the same. You can not add a 9th or flatten a 7 to b7 for example . When you double click on midi loops you will see each note and you can add, remove, flatten or sharpen notes as you like.

If you have a keyboard it's maybe easier to play it direct .. or both. Some loops have interesting rhythms.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 4 2009, 01:27 AM
Instructor
I use loops when jamming, never when composing or practicing.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 4 2009, 03:25 AM
Instructor
Same as Pedja here. I never use loops, I compose everything even it's repetitive...I some way you could say that I compose my onw loops so I can be really aware of what's happening.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:48 AM