> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Phill66's Beginner Book
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 13 2014, 07:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 12 2014, 07:35 AM) *
Cheers Cosmin,

What I found myself doing in that video was concentrating so much on the strumming pattern, (because that offbeat down strum throws me so much) that the drum beat was way back in the background.
Am I correct in thinking that the timing of the strumming on its own is ok (if you isolate it) but it isn't in sync with the drum?
I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
I haven't played too much with backing tracks and have only used a metronome for scales.
Cheers
Phil

You are very correct mate - but this is something that comes with time and practice - the more you do it and the more you learn to pay attention to:

- your hands
- the backing track
- listening to what you are playing and making it sound groovy

.. the better things will become. It's not easy and I know EXACTLY what you mean, by saying that the foot wants to follow your hand - this is one of the first steps in educating your body to perform separate tasks.

Please tap your foot to the metronome and to the backing track, until it's a natural movement - by that, I meant that you stop thinking about it and it's just a reflex. Play along with Bear as well, in order to become more natural with the track - record over his take and listen to the differences - what do you notice?

It will take a bit of time simply because you need to learn how to divide your attention in a lot of places - as with everything you haven;t done before, it seems difficult at first smile.gif Take your time and let's go for the recording over Bear's take first wink.gif Do we have a deal?

Take your time

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 14 2014, 09:23 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Cosmin,

Sorry it's taken so long but I couldn't practice on Tuesday, I smashed my elbow (left arm) and it was too painful to play, last night I went for a meal with my wife and tonight I worked late so have only had about 30 minutes including recording this. Please don't think I don't try.

Ok this take is over Bear's playing, I can do a better one if you need but time was limited tonight. I must learn how to record audio on my DAW and then mix it into the video huh.gif

I have to admit, I have created a Word document with the chord progression on (the tab doesn't fit on my screen) because I keep forgetting the change for the last two bars rolleyes.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EkFeyoKnX4...eature=youtu.be

Rip it up tongue.gif

Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 15 2014, 08:22 PM
Hello Cosmin,

Here is my latest without Bear. Some of the chord changes are a bit off, my elbow flared up today after that bang I gave it the other day and it is painful. How's the tempo though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QImwzc6XWZo...eature=youtu.be

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 15 2014, 08:23 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 16 2014, 08:11 AM
Instructor
Hey matey smile.gif

I think you are progressing well and I understand the little troubles life throws in smile.gif Let's be glad for what we have and work hard to achieve what we wish for - that would be my approach!

I think you are very close with this one, as I also said in the REC Zone, but please wait for your elbow to heal and give yourself a little time to:

- memorize all the piece so you can be attentive at your playing and at what your body tells you, not at the tab
- focus on the balance of the piece so that you can make it groove just like Bear does - more on that, in the REC Zone comments
- focus on playing the clean chord shapes

About the video editing - have I showed you this video before? smile.gif I think not, but it will definitely help!

What do you think?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 16 2014, 09:45 AM
Cheers Cosmin,
Currently in my way to London. Should be back this evening. I do feel like I am improving ok given the limited time I have had.
I'll have a look at the video editing this weekend.
Cheers
Phil

Cheers Cosmin,
Currently in my way to London. Should be back this evening. I do feel like I am improving ok given the limited time I have had.
I'll have a look at the video editing this weekend.
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 16 2014, 09:44 PM
That video was interesting Cosmin, I will adapt it to suit my Cakewalk V-Studio 20 and my camera, I can record using my still camera as I have been but not recording sound with it. I'm sure I will be able to sort it out but it make take a while as I need to practice guitar more I think and the time I spend sorting out recording is time that my fingers could be on the fretboard biggrin.gif

Cheers

Phil

P.S Only just got back from London so no practice tonight, I is knackered rolleyes.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 17 2014, 11:16 AM
Instructor
No worries man, I too got back home this very early morning after some serious touring and I feel beat even tho I slept..

Anyway, taking the right time to record properly what you already play properly is pretty much the way to do it wink.gif You aren't forced by any upcoming major event, such as a live show or a recording session for sorting out a material, so the only deadline which you have, is the realistic one dictated by your life smile.gif It's important to set one though, otherwise, you will lose the sense of progress if you linger too much on a piece.

Please, do keep me updated after you have had your proper rest wink.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 16 2014, 08:44 PM) *
That video was interesting Cosmin, I will adapt it to suit my Cakewalk V-Studio 20 and my camera, I can record using my still camera as I have been but not recording sound with it. I'm sure I will be able to sort it out but it make take a while as I need to practice guitar more I think and the time I spend sorting out recording is time that my fingers could be on the fretboard biggrin.gif

Cheers

Phil

P.S Only just got back from London so no practice tonight, I is knackered rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 17 2014, 12:59 PM
Thanks Cosmin,

I just don't want you to think I'm not putting the effort in if it takes me a week to get back to you with something that I would probably get right pretty quickly if I had a few hours a day spare. I don't want you to think I'm wasting your time wink.gif

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 17 2014, 08:58 PM
Cosmin,

I cannot connect my stills camera to my PC directly whilst recording so I will need to record the sound track through my Studio VS 20 at the same time as I record with my camera BUT, I will then need to join the audio and video and sync it. I'll have a go but it might take a long time. What video camera do you use? Your image quality is very good and also your sound, is it an expensive setup?

Cheers

Phil

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 16 2014, 08:11 AM) *
Hey matey smile.gif

I think you are progressing well and I understand the little troubles life throws in smile.gif Let's be glad for what we have and work hard to achieve what we wish for - that would be my approach!

I think you are very close with this one, as I also said in the REC Zone, but please wait for your elbow to heal and give yourself a little time to:

- memorize all the piece so you can be attentive at your playing and at what your body tells you, not at the tab
- focus on the balance of the piece so that you can make it groove just like Bear does - more on that, in the REC Zone comments
- focus on playing the clean chord shapes

About the video editing - have I showed you this video before? smile.gif I think not, but it will definitely help!

What do you think?

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 18 2014, 07:53 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif Don't worry, each of us has a different life - I can tell about someone who gives a damn and practices and wants to evolve, even if his/her time is scarce wink.gif The idea is not to post quickly, but to practice and get good results at YOUR pace. In time, the pace can be quickened of course, but that comes with experience.

In respect to the cam, I usually film with DSLR cams belonging to my friends, or my DSLR - a Nikon D3100 - not the greatest but with a good lens, you can do the job decently.

What sort of a budget would you have? It's important to know but in the same time, you can achieve great results with a digital cam as well - Todd Simpson could tell you more about a digital cam, as he uses one with great results.

You can also have a look at these two links for more info:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/122777-bes...le-to-buy-today
http://www.ezvid.com/toptenwebcams

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 18 2014, 10:50 AM
Hello mate,

It's not so much the budget that's an issue exactly, it's just that I already have a decent digital camera and don't want to buy another, it's a compact but it is very good, Sony RX100 MkI, I am please with the image quality, it's what I have recorded everything on so far. I just have to learn how to sync the audio recorded from my DAW with the video. That's why I thought maybe a web cam would be better as you can view the image being recorded in the movie maker software in real time.

I'll have a look at those links this evening.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 18 2014, 10:55 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 18 2014, 09:15 PM
Ok Cosmin,

I've been doing some tests this evening, (at the expense of practice). I've managed to record a video on my Sony RX100 while I was playing through my DAW. I then put them both into Windows Movie Maker Live and managed to sync the sound and the video.It took a couple of minutes to sync it but it kinda looks weird, like when you see those fake videos of top guitarists playing really badly because someone has overdubbed it. The sound doesn't seem to belong on the film. Maybe it's because there is no background noises that makes it appear false, maybe it's just because I'm not used to it biggrin.gif .

I've just download the backing track of Bear's lesson. Tomorrow I'll try to play the chords over it while filming it and then mix the backing and my playing and then sync with the video.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 19 2014, 08:03 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif I knew that a little tinkering would make things work wink.gif

It's usually like that - I am NO fan of tinkering and I hate stuff that takes my time for playing, but smile.gif BUT alas, we must go through that in order to get a nice vid up.

Now, I usually have the 4-8 beats provided by the backing track to use as guide when syncing the video with the audio and it never failed - I would be curious to see your take on putting sound and video together and we'll take it from there, ok? Until I see it I can't really tell much smile.gif

Just start by making sure that the beats in the audio are synced with the ones in the video - I mean the beginning beats from the backing track, the ones that set the tempo, ok?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 19 2014, 08:33 AM
IGNORE THIS MESSAGE tongue.gif

Hello Cosmin,
I only have beats on the backing trek in my daw. I recorded just guitar into the desk so no beats to match just trying to pick the moment the hands hit the string. There may be something so simple that I am missing.
Cheers
Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 19 2014, 09:02 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 19 2014, 09:05 PM
Hello Cosmin,

Can you check this out please. The sync is a little bit off but I know where I went wrong. I really needed to re-record it but ran out of time.

I think it's much better.

It's been a struggle learning how to record and sync with my Cakewalk, I've only ever recorded myself playing scales and then played them back in the software, this is a whole new ball game and I'm light years behind rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 19 2014, 09:15 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 20 2014, 07:21 AM
Instructor
Hey bro! The sync looks great to me smile.gif

I think you nailed it and now you can focus on recording as close to perfection as you can, at this moment in time smile.gif Please be careful on the following:

- tune your guitar before recording
- rehearse properly so that you will feel as relaxed as possible when recording
- keep a steady groove
- grab the chord positions as clean as possible

Let's see the take now biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 20 2014, 09:18 AM
Hello Cosmin,
Thanks. I did tune before I played BUT even though my ear isn't brilliant I did notice it sounding out of tune when I was playing. I'll have to check the tuners, maybe one is not holding tune.
I had no practice since the last video other than tapping my foot or my hand on my machine at work and getting it in my head then I did that take right off the bat. I might get another in tonight but out for a meal first with wife wink.gif
Cheers
Phil

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 20 2014, 07:21 AM) *
Hey bro! The sync looks great to me smile.gif

I think you nailed it and now you can focus on recording as close to perfection as you can, at this moment in time smile.gif Please be careful on the following:

- tune your guitar before recording
- rehearse properly so that you will feel as relaxed as possible when recording
- keep a steady groove
- grab the chord positions as clean as possible

Let's see the take now biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 20 2014, 08:25 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 21 2014, 07:46 AM
Instructor
Hey mate!

Well, your ear is better than you think in most cases - people tend to neglect it, out of the irrational urge to 'have tabs' or stuff like that. Visual stimulus usually, rather then hearing what they have to play. Of course, this comes with experience, but the more you work on this skill from the early stages, the faster you will get to the point in which you hear something and you can almost immediately figure it out, because of your trained ear and your theoretical knowledge.

Take the time to focus on the recording and let's see the new video smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 21 2014, 09:28 PM
Last video this week unless I can cram one in tomorrow before the party tongue.gif Then I'm away until Tuesday. Sorry, I will get much more time in the winter.

You know I have had trouble with this rhythm for some odd reason well I have noticed something on Bear's video that shows it must be a little odd, unless I'm totally blowin outta my ass rolleyes.gif

Watch Bear's knee as he strum the second chord in each bar, it kinda "stutters" a little, a friend of mine is a drummer and he is just starting out on guitar and he listened to this lesson and said that he would find it a little tricky so maybe it's not just me. I think I do think about it too much though rather than just getting down.

Rip me apart ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 21 2014, 11:19 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 22 2014, 07:18 AM
Instructor
It's in all the beginner's blood to think too much instead of doing biggrin.gif

It's not good and it's not bad either - as I see it, you should be thinking about WHAT you have to do, understanding the concepts and techniques and then getting to it without too much fuss wink.gif

The take is good if you ask me - timing and chord wise, but I'd take down the gain, as it doesn't do justice to those chords - they sound too muddy because of the amount of gain you have placed. Also, check the tuning a bit, please - it sounds just a bit off smile.gif Maybe it's just me, but I think it does.

Otherwise, guess what biggrin.gif I think we can move on to the next one - what do you think?

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:58 PM