Hurt In Fingers
Jenbu
Aug 10 2009, 09:30 PM
GMC:er
Hello! In the last time it hurts in my fingers especially in my ring finger. This happens when I bend and it's uncomfortable
I've tried to tape it but it's just irritating.
Is this normal? do you have any tips?
because it's so irritating dry.gif

click on the pictures to get it larger

Im sorry for my english and I hope I haven't put this tread on the wrong place

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 10 2009, 09:42 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Jenbu @ Aug 10 2009, 10:30 PM) *

click on the pictures to get it larger

Looks like you press down so hard your fingers turn white. Could it be that you're just straining yourself. Try to relax you hand and fingers a bit when you play.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mitch Roberts
Aug 10 2009, 09:48 PM
From giving guitar lessons to young kids i deal with this quite a bit, first off i guess i would recommend supporting your fingers when you bend (which by the picture i THINK your doing), also possibly try a lighter gauge string.

--------------------
Check out my lessons!
[post=0]My Facebook, feel free to add me[/post]
[post=0]My Youtube page, check it out![/post]

+Quote Post
Frederik
Aug 10 2009, 09:58 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
agree with mickey and mitch, and just add that it will stop hurting over time, as u devellop caluses and better muscels and i think some of the nerves get damaged so u dont feel it xD then u have become comfortably numb hehe

-Frederik

+Quote Post
Jenbu
Aug 10 2009, 10:01 PM
thanks ! I tried to relax more and it helped, It still hurts but it will sure be gone soon

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 10 2009, 10:04 PM
Instructor
It's best to keep things at a slow pace and keep the fingers relaxed from time to time by taking regular breaks during practice sessions. Bending exercises (aside from being a bit boring smile.gif ) are putting lots of strain on the fingers, specially when you're starting with practicing bends.
There is no need to actually press that hard, and the relaxation will come in time as well, so for now just try to make breaks so your fingers doesn't hurt. Practice the bends higher on the fretboard where the tension is a bit less, and practice them very slowly with the metronome. Try to fret the string just behind the fret and with the tip of the finger, this will give you better control and less strain.
Here is a small video that I've made about bending and practicing bending & vibrato, it's not much but may serve as a guiding point.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=329234

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 11 2009, 01:03 AM
Instructor
It happens when you start to bend, no worries.
Just try not to practice bends that much,
you can get more power and strength with playing chords only etc.
Give it some time, it'll pass eventually. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 11 2009, 08:32 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Aug 11 2009, 01:03 AM) *
It happens when you start to bend, no worries.
Just try not to practice bends that much,
you can get more power and strength with playing chords only etc.
Give it some time, it'll pass eventually. smile.gif

This is good advice for sure smile.gif

This discomfort you describe is something often experienced by new players. My fingertips were so sore for the first year of playing, but eventually your fingers toughen up (you should get calluses) and this wont be a problem for you at all.

So keep practicing hard and eventually this wont be a problem at all for you smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Jenbu
Aug 11 2009, 09:52 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 10 2009, 11:04 PM) *
It's best to keep things at a slow pace and keep the fingers relaxed from time to time by taking regular breaks during practice sessions. Bending exercises (aside from being a bit boring smile.gif ) are putting lots of strain on the fingers, specially when you're starting with practicing bends.
There is no need to actually press that hard, and the relaxation will come in time as well, so for now just try to make breaks so your fingers doesn't hurt. Practice the bends higher on the fretboard where the tension is a bit less, and practice them very slowly with the metronome. Try to fret the string just behind the fret and with the tip of the finger, this will give you better control and less strain.
Here is a small video that I've made about bending and practicing bending & vibrato, it's not much but may serve as a guiding point.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=329234

thanks i will check it out smile.gif

well actually I have being playing guitar for soon 2 years now. Not very active but since I started on this site my playing have increased alot. But I didn't bend so much before the Nocturnal Vision lesson wich I found 2 weeks ago and it stucked on my mind and now im doing bends alot more. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Jenbu: Aug 11 2009, 09:53 AM

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Aug 11 2009, 09:59 AM
Instructor
I had that problem long ago when I was practicing on acoustic guitar. That was really hard. Later when I moved to electric it felt like I got rid of 3 tons load on my back. Maybe you can try that and your fingers will have more strenght. As Muris said, don't overdo it. If you feel pain get some rest and continue. Chords are also good for left hand strenght, but not just simple chords smile.gif Try some with more stretches.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Jenbu
Aug 11 2009, 10:26 AM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Aug 11 2009, 10:59 AM) *
I had that problem long ago when I was practicing on acoustic guitar. That was really hard. Later when I moved to electric it felt like I got rid of 3 tons load on my back. Maybe you can try that and your fingers will have more strenght. As Muris said, don't overdo it. If you feel pain get some rest and continue. Chords are also good for left hand strenght, but not just simple chords smile.gif Try some with more stretches.

yeah thanks I will try that for strenght smile.gif
but is it too late to say it only hurts in my finger tips? :S

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 11 2009, 11:09 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Jenbu @ Aug 11 2009, 11:26 AM) *
yeah thanks I will try that for strenght smile.gif
but is it too late to say it only hurts in my finger tips? :S

Hmm that is pretty normal when you are doing a particular technique excessively. It happens to me also if I get the urge to practice a new technique or one I haven't practiced in some time and do it a little too much. Even though I have built strong clauses if they are not used to the particular/new montion they will hurt. My advice is to give it a rest (1-2 days). Also when practicing bending do it in small portions 15 min maybe then rest for some time as it can be hard on fingers.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Jenbu
Aug 11 2009, 04:48 PM
the fingertips a actually not so bad but in the side where my nail are connected to the finger. Im concerned that it will be more open than it is sad.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 11 2009, 11:37 PM
Instructor
It's all about pushing the strings up with your fingers, try to find a correct angle, and do it lightly. Press just behind the fret so you require less force.
And be patient, it will take some time to do it properly! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:02 AM