Stairway To Heaven With New Guitar, solo of the song with my new guitar
Timmez
Aug 5 2014, 11:05 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Guys what do you think of my new guitar. I finally bought the gibson lesp Paul studio from the "90.

I just made a recording of the solo of stairway to heaven, What do you think of it?

Grtzz Tim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GTZG1eYL2M...eature=youtu.be Here is the link if it doesnt work

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 5 2014, 02:07 PM
Instructor
Hi Tim, congrats on your new guitar! It looks fantastic and it must sound also very good. As you used the mic of your camera to record this video, it's difficult to appreciate the real sound of your guitar, but you can never fail with a 90's Gibson Les Paul Studio. I have one and I love it. Have you though on improving the audio of your videos? Using a daw to mix backing and your guitar and then any video editor to sync audio with video?

Another details about video recording is that you should avoid having your window opened behind you if you want to have a better overall lightening. As you can notice you seem to be in the darkness and the lightening is unbalanced in the video because of the intense light coming from the window.

About your playing, I notice that you've learn the whole solo but it needs to be polished now. The main things to improve are timing, vibrato, bending and dynamics. I would start in the order that I listed them, starting with timing, and finally adding dynamics to your solo to give it more organic sound, more life. Your solo sounds tight when you play slow phrases but timing problems appear when you play faster notes, so I recommend you to isolate the faster parts and practice them over the backing or metronome trying to play them tight. When the solo becomes faster, it's more difficult and it requires more of your attention, the result is that you cannot pay attention to timing. As you can't think the groove, you have to feel it so my suggestion it to tap with your foot while you practice to feel the groove while you play.

The video is cool as well is your playing, but I wanted to give you some honest feedback that could make everything look and sound better. I think that with some little details your videos will have more quality and your playing really deserves it!

Keep on rocking.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Timmez
Aug 5 2014, 03:37 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey man thanks for your comment.

I used a Daw by this vid but maybe i had to mix the things better up.
I know the lightnening thing only i havent a sheet which i can put in front of it.

I think its better with a sheet or i have to make the vid from the other side.

But do i have to get a lot of light or no light?

Grtzz

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 5 2014, 04:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tflava @ Aug 5 2014, 11:37 AM) *
Hey man thanks for your comment.

I used a Daw by this vid but maybe i had to mix the things better up.
I know the lightnening thing only i havent a sheet which i can put in front of it.

I think its better with a sheet or i have to make the vid from the other side.

But do i have to get a lot of light or no light?

Grtzz

I confused because of the guitar EQ and the quantity of effect used. Guitar sounds a bit low in the mix and it lacks some presence and definition. These are not things tricky to fix. You just have to do some little adjustments in the mix.

About the lightening, if you position in front of the window you will be able to use some of the light that comes from the daylight. Maybe you can try opening the curtains and see what happens. If you still think that there isn't enough light, you could reinforce it with an extra lamp in front of you. You have to experiment and see how your camera reacts to the different settings and positions.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Huargo
Aug 5 2014, 04:33 PM
Tone Seeker
Hi !amazing new guitar! Supercongrats!
I saw your vídeos in the rec zone and i see a lot of progress in your playing!
Sure this guitar makes you progress a lot more !!
Always remember take the guitar to a local luthier to adjust the setup regularly!
nice cover, les zep are the best ! Enjoy you new guitaaaaaaaaaar r'n'r
\m/
envy level 10 wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 5 2014, 06:31 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
congrats, the guitar looks very nice. You should post up a pic of it. I cant quite tell what type of finish it has but it looks a little like an amber colour or something like that. I have a LP standard from the 90's and it has never let me down.
Most of the studios Ive seen have covered pickups but it looks cool to have the open coils. very nice, dude cool.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 5 2014, 08:20 PM
GMC:er
Congrats on the new Axe! May it serve you well!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 5 2014, 09:54 PM
Instructor
Howdy Tim!

Congrats on your new guitar man! I agree with Gabi and I will only add the fact that you need to slow down and nail the difficult parts which have to deal with speed smile.gif

You know how I always nagged you with slowing down the fast parts biggrin.gif Well, this is no exception - you've got the axe that does justice to the song but you also need the patience to go with it.

Follow Gabi's suggestion and isolate the licks that give you trouble in respect to speed first things first - such as the one at the ending - see 0:58 and try to play it slowly against a metronome beat. Once you will understand it and feel it, it will be far easier to play it against the backing track. Using a software that slows tracks down without altering quality, would be a great tool to work with - I totally recommend The amazing slowdowner, for this.

Next, your bends could be stronger and more precise as well as the vibrato - please try to play along with the original recording in order to try and match the intensity and shape of the articulation elements Jimmy is using - bending and vibrato that is.

All in all, you are on the good path, but there are details to fix smile.gif You'll have a PM in the morning wink.gif

+Quote Post
Timmez
Aug 6 2014, 09:03 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thank you guys for all your comments .

Here i got the pictures.
I wwas just looking for the slow downer but i read on a forum that you can also slow down with windows media player.

you can slow down by steps from 0,1 till the half. But i think that will works.

Thanks! LOL

Grtzz

[attachment=38297:Gibson_l...aul_body.jpg]
[attachment=38298:Gibson_les_paul.jpg]
[attachment=38299:Gibson_l...aul_head.jpg]

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Aug 6 2014, 09:14 AM
Learning Rock Star
Congrats man, awesome guitar smile.gif

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 7 2014, 08:34 AM
Instructor
Hey Tim!

Unfortunately, you need to re-attach the pics again, as the links are not working sad.gif Click Browse at the bottom of this very field in which you are writing when you respond in any thread, select the photo and then click Upload (the light green button). Do this for each photo biggrin.gif

Now, Media player can do that, but I think it alters quality a lot - haven't tried it tho, so I will first see how things sound with this method for a comparison with The Amazing Slowdowner.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:09 AM