Making My Own Music :)
mattacuk
Dec 31 2008, 02:51 PM
Lets go fishing!
Hello all, and happy new year smile.gif

I am looking to start writing my own music, build my own chord progressions etc. I feel I could really do with a drum machine as it just isnt gravy without a beat laugh.gif

I was wondering what our members and instructors use when writing there own music. Special software? or a hardware drum machine? Basically i want a selection of pre set patterns so i can concentrate more onmy guitar smile.gif

thanks guys,
matt

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Dec 31 2008, 03:00 PM
Instructor
Happy new year to you Matt smile.gif
I'm using EZdrummer for drums and grooves now.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 31 2008, 03:10 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I think a drum machine can often limit your music, or "my" music I should say since that's the affect it has on me. Any beat will lead into the same ol same ol firring.... <-- new word, such a good one I'll leave it. I mean riffing of course wink.gif

So instead what I like to do is to keep the drums as simple as possible for starers, a metronome or just a very basic drum beat. Then after the guitar rhythm and melody is done I add the real drums because then I can hear how I want them to be.

I use Ezdrummer and when that was released that was a huge step up to music making compared to making beats with a MIDI keaboard which I was used to from before.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 31 2008, 03:10 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I use EZdrummer and/or Addictive Drums VSTs for drum beats..But I never start with a drum beat , rather adapt the one to the groove I think of..

Happy New Year Mat!!! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 31 2008, 03:14 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (MickeM @ Dec 31 2008, 02:10 PM) *
I think a drum machine can often limit your music, or "my" music I should say since that's the affect it has on me. Any beat will lead into the same ol same ol firring.... <-- new word, such a good one I'll leave it. I mean riffing of course wink.gif

So instead what I like to do is to keep the drums as simple as possible for starers, a metronome or just a very basic drum beat. Then after the guitar rhythm and melody is done I add the real drums because then I can hear how I want them to be.

I use Ezdrummer and when that was released that was a huge step up to music making compared to making beats with a MIDI keaboard which I was used to from before.

Some really helpful tips there MickeM !! thanks everyone,I will take a good look at EZdrummer also smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Dec 31 2008, 03:41 PM
Instructor
I use Cubase and Toontrack Superior 2.0, but thats a really expensive one. Ezdrummer comes highly recommended from me as well because it sounds great and is affordable.

I will also recommend starting with Reaper as your DAW for 2 reasons:
1. It's free smile.gif
2. It's easy to learn the recording basics in Reaper and will make the transisition to the more advanced tools like Cubase or Sonar easier if you eventually want to use one of those.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Dec 31 2008, 03:41 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 31 2008, 03:44 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Dec 31 2008, 02:41 PM) *
I use Cubase and Toontrack Superior 2.0, but thats a really expensive one. Ezdrummer comes highly recommended from me as well because it sounds great and is affordable.

I will also recommend starting with Reaper as your DAW for 2 reasons:
1. It's free smile.gif
2. It's easy to learn the recording basics in Reaper and will make the transisition to the more advanced tools like Cubase or Sonar easier if you eventually want to use one of those.

Thanks Trond, yes ive had a play around with reaper but really could do with learning how to use it now smile.gif EZdrummer looks great, but at £77 looks like i will have to wait till my birthday in febuary ! sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Jan 2 2009, 04:24 AM
GMC:er
When I just write songs, I use Guitar Pro. It's very good for that apart from that it's crashing alot dry.gif
Though, when I write notes for orchestra and such, I tend to use paper as Guitar Pro is crap for writing notes tongue.gif (Sorry for the language.)

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

Songs I'm writing down/learning at the moment:

Children of Bodom - Downfall

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jan 2 2009, 12:35 PM
Singing Instructor
I use Addictive Drums and Stylus RMX for beats and drum patterns.It is all a thing of habit.I know Addictive Drums by heart now,so it is a lot faster to bring up my ideas on the midi track that way(with Addictive).

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 2 2009, 12:38 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I recommend EZDrummer also!
I used that before I switched to Superior 2.0..

It's easy to use and sounds very good as well smile.gif

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jan 2 2009, 01:26 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
For writing use Guitar Pro. For drums I use Acoustica Beatcraft but if you have the money then you should probably go for something else.

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Jan 2 2009, 01:56 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
EZD with the Drumkit from Hell addon for me smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 2 2009, 04:52 PM
Instructor
In general as Nemanja said it all comes down to habit and knowledge and I agree 100%. Making good drums does not mean that you need to have great VST drum instrument, you just need to spend some time with it, and learn how to produce drums and add EQ, compression and reverb to it to make it sound good for the specific composition you are doing.

I have used Addictice drums and it is good, it has premade grooves. Currently I'm using Toontrack products tho, Superior Drummer 2.0 for samples and EZD products (pop/rock, latin, coctail, vintage, drumkit from hell and other) for MIDI banks. All EZD products come with quality MIDI patterns that you can drag&drop on the MIDI track. All of them have a simple mixer as well, while Superior Drummer 2.0 has advanced mixing with full bleeding control, inserts, buses, and everything else that you need. Also SD 2.0 samples are behaving much better in the mix, while EZD samples sound a bit "shallow".

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 5 2009, 11:51 PM
Instructor
Hi Matt

I recommend getting Addictive Drums and EZDrums
They both have lots of presets and variations on particular beat and style. You can change the tempo to any beat, also you could use Fills and different drum kits that they provide.
It is a great starting point , I highly recommend it.
For recording I use Nuendo and also recommend it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 6 2009, 03:35 PM
Instructor
Addictive drums for me.
I find it way fastr to load up than EZDrummer. But that might not be a problem with faster PCs...
I usually start with a Drum loop that I jam over.
Having a few bass loops help too!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 04:15 AM