2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Scales
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 24 2007, 10:25 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (steve25 @ Apr 24 2007, 05:11 PM) *
While we're on this topic, is it important in guitar playing to learn every single note on the fret board. What i mean is should you know where every note is ie you could play 7th fret, g string and instantly know what that note is and likewise for all the other strings? If so for what?

IMO its important to know where you are in the context of the chord or scale you are playing, but not necessarily to know the actual note - I couldn't do what you just said without working it out in my head, but I don't feel the lack. Howver, others might disagree - in previous threads people have said that it doesn't take long to memorise this and there are several ways of approaching it, I just have never felt the need.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
steve25
Apr 24 2007, 10:28 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 24 2007, 10:25 PM) *
IMO its important to know where you are in the context of the chord or scale you are playing, but not necessarily to know the actual note - I couldn't do what you just said without working it out in my head, but I don't feel the lack. Howver, others might disagree - in previous threads people have said that it doesn't take long to memorise this and there are several ways of approaching it, I just have never felt the need.

Fair enough, if it's not something that's going to prevent someone from being a good guitar player then perhaps it's best to focus on other things.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 24 2007, 10:31 PM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Apr 24 2007, 05:28 PM) *
Fair enough, if it's not something that's going to prevent someone from being a good guitar player then perhaps it's best to focus on other things.

Don't take just my word for it, wait and see what others say - maybe its the thing that's been holding me back all these years smile.gif I suspect there will be contrary opinions to mine ... lets see.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 24 2007, 10:36 PM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Apr 24 2007, 04:28 PM) *

I think what it boils down to is what your goals are. If you want to be a good guitar player...then perhaps knowing where all the notes on the fretboard are, or knowing all of your scales, aren't vital. But if your goals extend to being a good MUSICIAN....then I would recommend learning these things gradually as you go. Don't beat yourself to death trying to learn where every note on the fretboard is right off the bat. But, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, if your goal is to make music, then it's good to learn as much about music and your instrument's ability to produce and reproduce it as you can.

For example....if I'm improvising a solo in the key of E Major....it would expand my ability to express myself by 100x if I knew where EVERY note in the key of E Major was EVERYWHERE on the fretboard, and to be able to play the scale up and down the neck, wherever I want.

Not that I can do that...but God Damn, it sure would be sweet if I could. biggrin.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 24 2007, 11:29 PM
QUOTE (wheeler @ Apr 24 2007, 05:36 PM) *
I think what it boils down to is what your goals are. If you want to be a good guitar player...then perhaps knowing where all the notes on the fretboard are, or knowing all of your scales, aren't vital. But if your goals extend to being a good MUSICIAN....then I would recommend learning these things gradually as you go. Don't beat yourself to death trying to learn where every note on the fretboard is right off the bat. But, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, if your goal is to make music, then it's good to learn as much about music and your instrument's ability to produce and reproduce it as you can.

For example....if I'm improvising a solo in the key of E Major....it would expand my ability to express myself by 100x if I knew where EVERY note in the key of E Major was EVERYWHERE on the fretboard, and to be able to play the scale up and down the neck, wherever I want.

Not that I can do that...but God Damn, it sure would be sweet if I could. biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Hmm - I think that was kind of what I meant with my comments on context, so I agree - except I wouldn't know where every occurence of E on the fretborad was for instance, but I would know every occurence of the root note of the scale I was playing - I'm probably just quibling here smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Ryan
Apr 24 2007, 11:48 PM
I dont htink you need to learn every bit of it..thats what scales are for...but i mean you could..it might help you tremendously...but it wouold probabaly be harder than learning the patterns and everything .....i know the basics of the fretboard..and that does kinda help me...but idk...just go ahead and try it...it wouldnt hurt to try.....

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:33 PM