Getting Better
megadethklok66
Mar 8 2012, 04:12 AM
GMC:er
how important is learning every scale and mode? and i tend to rush everything i play on guitar and tips on how to improve on these spots?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
THEY CANT STOP US LET EM TRY FOR HEAVY METAL WE WILL DIE!!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
benetom
Mar 8 2012, 06:39 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (megadethklok66 @ Mar 8 2012, 04:12 AM) *
how important is learning every scale and mode? and i tend to rush everything i play on guitar and tips on how to improve on these spots?

It sure helps knowing scales n stuff m8. They just need time to get under your fingers so practice...as I do biggrin.gif
Theory board at GMC is fantastic one so check it out and the pdf you got when you signed with GMC is really fabulous book to study.
Practice slow and then speed up slowly when you are comfortable playing them...golden rule..and with a metronome if possible biggrin.gif

Regards Tom

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 8 2012, 07:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (megadethklok66 @ Mar 8 2012, 03:12 AM) *

It is very important you have to know what you are doing! You still can improvise and have fun and spend only 15 minutes out of your practice routine learning modes
say do 15 minutes each mode for one week and you will get it in two months!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 8 2012, 08:06 AM
Instructor
Learning scales on the neck is like memorizing a map of a land smile.gif the better you know each path, the faster you'll move around. Although combined with exercising scales should come ear training, which allows you to efficiently use the scales in an actual musical context for instance.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 8 2012, 12:22 PM
Instructor
I would always highlight the need for approaching it in the most enjoyable way.

Ever noticed how it's easier to make progress at something that you're enjoying ? That's because your brain doesn't class it as a chore, it just gets involved and absorbs.

Also, be realistic about what music floats you boat and what doesn't. This way you can make a priority of modes and scales that are going to help you achieve the sounds you like.

If you're a metal guy then maybe pick the natural minor and phrygian dominant (also called phyrgian major) modes to start with.

First, choose a key like Em and learn one box position so you can memorise how the scale sounds and the distance between the notes. Then you can add more box positions to it. Box positions are related to where you can find the chords of Em for example. Then what I recommend doing is learning the scale on one string. Learn how to navigate through the scale using 3 note per string shapes.

Eventually start connecting the box positions up by using the shapes that you've identified by doing it on one string. This is the way that I've always done it smile.gif

Don't worry yourself too much about learning all the modes yet, just help yourself dig into the sound you want.

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Mar 8 2012, 12:22 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:36 PM