Going The Gilbert Way
Qenzoz
Oct 16 2011, 02:06 PM
GMC:er
Hello! So, lately I've been kind of frustrated, since there are ALOT of things I want to learn on the guitar, and I want to learn them all, but today I asked my self if I had to play like one guitarist, who would it be? Paul Gilbert, like an reflex, probably because hes my favorite guitarist, and then it hit me, I need to go "hes" way, and I really want to learn to play the kind of style he used in Racer X, now I know some people will think its bad to go immediatly to that, because its alot harder to play Paul Gilbert than it is to play AC/DC, but I want to play Paul Gilbert stuff so thats the way I'll have to go, since if I can play an AC/DC song I am not that motivated, but if I can play a Racer X song I'll be damn motivated, since I like that style alot more, also another example when I learn some Van Halen songs or solos, of course thats nice since I like Van Halen, but when I learn a Van Halen song or solo, I always go like, I just rather want to learn a Racer X song, Gilbert song, etc.

And I know there are some things thats very useful to learn, but for now the most useful thing for me is to learn the things that keeps me motivated, and I'll become alot better guitarist, playing 10 years with motivation, and 10 years without, I think we all can safely say that 10 years with motivation, will make you alot better.

So now, my question is, what should I really focus on and trying to get down, besides the obvious (string skipping, alternate picking and all those fun techniques laugh.gif ), I was thinking of learning alot of Racer X songs, but just the rhythm parts, then later foucs on the the licks, then the solos, and of course try and get my techniques up to speed by doing exercises smile.gif

And I know, I need to work on the basics too, blah blah, and the theory, but this year, I go to a music school, so I'll have 34 hours of theory and boring guitar there (a week), but at home I need to work on what keeps me motivated! tongue.gif

And also working 2 days on a song, is okay, since then u'll be like yeah, only took me 2 days, but working 3 months on a song, will make you say, I DID MWAHHAA!

Cheers!
- Tobias

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Sickz666
Oct 16 2011, 02:12 PM
QUOTE (Qenzoz @ Oct 16 2011, 03:06 PM) *
Hello! So, lately I've been kind of frustrated, since there are ALOT of things I want to learn on the guitar, and I want to learn them all, but today I asked my self if I had to play like one guitarist, who would it be? Paul Gilbert, like an reflex, probably because hes my favorite guitarist, and then it hit me, I need to go "hes" way, and I really want to learn to play the kind of style he used in Racer X, now I know some people will think its bad to go immediatly to that, because its alot harder to play Paul Gilbert than it is to play AC/DC, but I want to play Paul Gilbert stuff so thats the way I'll have to go, since if I can play an AC/DC song I am not that motivated, but if I can play a Racer X song I'll be damn motivated, since I like that style alot more, also another example when I learn some Van Halen songs or solos, of course thats nice since I like Van Halen, but when I learn a Van Halen song or solo, I always go like, I just rather want to learn a Racer X song, Gilbert song, etc.

And I know there are some things thats very useful to learn, but for now the most useful thing for me is to learn the things that keeps me motivated, and I'll become alot better guitarist, playing 10 years with motivation, and 10 years without, I think we all can safely say that 10 years with motivation, will make you alot better.

So now, my question is, what should I really focus on and trying to get down, besides the obvious (string skipping, alternate picking and all those fun techniques laugh.gif ), I was thinking of learning alot of Racer X songs, but just the rhythm parts, then later foucs on the the licks, then the solos, and of course try and get my techniques up to speed by doing exercises smile.gif

And I know, I need to work on the basics too, blah blah, and the theory, but this year, I go to a music school, so I'll have 34 hours of theory and boring guitar there (a week), but at home I need to work on what keeps me motivated! tongue.gif

And also working 2 days on a song, is okay, since then u'll be like yeah, only took me 2 days, but working 3 months on a song, will make you say, I DID MWAHHAA!

Cheers!
- Tobias

Well you could try some Racer X song that develops both rhythm and lead at the same time. For example i have parts of "Technical Difficulties" as my right hand warm up routine. smile.gif It's a hard song to master but if you do it in sections you will develop your technique pretty fast. Given that you practice correctly and not sloppy. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
maharzan
Oct 16 2011, 02:13 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
If you want it, just go with it. I think Daniel did a lesson on Racer X on here. You could really slow things down and learn on slower tempo as a start if you cannot do the immediate full fast stuff. Getting one lick at a time is very important, Playing clean and letting each note sound is very very important in fast playing. Good Luck!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Oct 16 2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks, and thanks for the advice, actually helped me alot already, without trying, just makes sense in my head biggrin.gif

QUOTE (maharzan @ Oct 16 2011, 03:13 PM) *
If you want it, just go with it. I think Daniel did a lesson on Racer X on here. You could really slow things down and learn on slower tempo as a start if you cannot do the immediate full fast stuff. Getting one lick at a time is very important, Playing clean and letting each note sound is very very important in fast playing. Good Luck!

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
maharzan
Oct 16 2011, 02:29 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Be ready to take 1 year to learn the solo. It normally takes me a month to 3 months or even more (sometimes can't master) to learn a minute of solo here. You are talking about a 4 min song. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Oct 16 2011, 02:33 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I think it's a good thing you've made up your mind, so just go for your goals / dreams!
There are plenty of Paul Gilbert lessons on this site, and you'll find lots of his own tutorials on youtube. Might be a good idea to get his instructional DVDs as well and look for tabs to Racer X songs.
And remember to put up some mp3s or videos of your playing so that the instructors can help you on your way smile.gif

Cheers

Christian

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
JD_
Oct 16 2011, 02:51 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (maharzan @ Oct 16 2011, 01:29 PM) *
Be ready to take 1 year to learn the solo. It normally takes me a month to 3 months or even more (sometimes can't master) to learn a minute of solo here. You are talking about a 4 min song. smile.gif

I think thats a great bit of advice...And it's so true.

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Oct 16 2011, 05:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Oct 16 2011, 08:13 AM) *

That's the way to go, and also, it's going to take some bloody time smile.gif.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
dark dude
Oct 16 2011, 07:06 PM
I'd try to learn as much of his stuff by ear, so you can really delve into what he's doing.

You know the usual drill, just break the songs up into the problem areas and make exercises for those specific licks.

I know what you mean about choosing a tougher song, the problem with doing that is that, realistically, you will get frustrated since it's taking you so long to learn it, whereas a simple VH song every now again, no matter how simple, will give you that sense of accomplishment and extra boost that you need.

Also, when people ask you to play, you'll have to say: "Well, I've spent a few weeks learning this one tough song, so I can't show you much", and funnily enough, that can have motivation ramifications, too. I've been there, for sure.

Good luck with it! Just take it a step at a time, inch by inch smile.gif

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Oct 16 2011, 08:04 PM
QUOTE (maharzan @ Oct 16 2011, 03:29 PM) *

Haha, yeah, but I am not starting out with Scarified, listening thru alot of the songs atm and looking at tabs, and looking at which one looks most comfortable to start out with smile.gif

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Oct 16 2011, 03:33 PM) *
I think it's a good thing you've made up your mind, so just go for your goals / dreams!
There are plenty of Paul Gilbert lessons on this site, and you'll find lots of his own tutorials on youtube. Might be a good idea to get his instructional DVDs as well and look for tabs to Racer X songs.
And remember to put up some mp3s or videos of your playing so that the instructors can help you on your way smile.gif

Cheers

Christian

I will, and I think I've watched all of the Paul Gilbert instructional videos on YouTube minimum twice tongue.gif , and also I got most of hes DVDs smile.gif

QUOTE (dark dude @ Oct 16 2011, 08:06 PM) *
I'd try to learn as much of his stuff by ear, so you can really delve into what he's doing.

You know the usual drill, just break the songs up into the problem areas and make exercises for those specific licks.

I know what you mean about choosing a tougher song, the problem with doing that is that, realistically, you will get frustrated since it's taking you so long to learn it, whereas a simple VH song every now again, no matter how simple, will give you that sense of accomplishment and extra boost that you need.

Also, when people ask you to play, you'll have to say: "Well, I've spent a few weeks learning this one tough song, so I can't show you much", and funnily enough, that can have motivation ramifications, too. I've been there, for sure.

Good luck with it! Just take it a step at a time, inch by inch smile.gif

I know, and yes it can be nice to learn a simple song now and then, but thats why I go to a music school for one year, there I can learn all those simple things, and when I get home I can work on my own goal smile.gif, I've got this planned out, so far, now I just need to do it! Which can be the hard part, since it is frustrating to sit and do exercises over and over and over, etc, but I can do this, I believe in my self, and there have been like 2-4 times other than this one that I've believed in my self, and it has only been a success, usually I've said, no, can't do this, etc, etc, and even so I've managed to do things, but when I believe in my self, I can do it, since I suck at giving my self compliments, and saying "I can do this", but when I do, I just can! Bam laugh.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Oct 16 2011, 08:17 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
One thing that to me seems essential in learning Paul Gilberts style is getting down your blues scales harmonized 3 notes per per string, there are some big stretches there but well worth the effort wink.gif like Gitarrero mentioned a Paul Gilbert instructional video would be a great place to start.

+Quote Post
Amir Razmara
Oct 17 2011, 04:06 AM
I think ,if done right, studying someone such as Paul Gilbert would increase your musical appreciation and help develop your guitar skills . It is always good to have certain Aims and expectations before devoting your self to such endeavor. It is also good that you are trying to analyze your aims and asking others for advice. I would suggest you look in his repertoire and find material that are not too far reaching in terms of your currant abilities and start from there. And always be honest with your self and ask your self "how can I develop my own style" from these things I am learning.

Amir Razmara

This post has been edited by Amir Razmara: Oct 17 2011, 04:08 AM

+Quote Post
maharzan
Oct 17 2011, 11:21 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
While the DVDs are helpful (doing a solo for 3 months straight is going to be very boring so refreshing yourself is important), if you start learning the licks from the song right away, you already learn so much stuff. Learn to tame your fingers, timing, sync, right hand picking, oh so many things. You don't have to actually do all the DVD and then learn the solo. It can be the reverse. smile.gif

BTW, if you can start a thread when you start practicing and write up a "blog" like updates now and then, it would be really great for everyone of us to see your progress.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Oct 17 2011, 12:32 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Oct 16 2011, 09:17 PM) *
One thing that to me seems essential in learning Paul Gilberts style is getting down your blues scales harmonized 3 notes per per string, there are some big stretches there but well worth the effort wink.gif like Gitarrero mentioned a Paul Gilbert instructional video would be a great place to start.

Been watching alot of hes instructional videos, and building my own opinion and using certain licks for exercises, tried alot of them out, and been figuring out which one works best in my opinion, etc smile.gif

QUOTE (Amir Razmara @ Oct 17 2011, 05:06 AM) *
I think ,if done right, studying someone such as Paul Gilbert would increase your musical appreciation and help develop your guitar skills . It is always good to have certain Aims and expectations before devoting your self to such endeavor. It is also good that you are trying to analyze your aims and asking others for advice. I would suggest you look in his repertoire and find material that are not too far reaching in terms of your currant abilities and start from there. And always be honest with your self and ask your self "how can I develop my own style" from these things I am learning.

Amir Razmara

Yeah, I kind of want to be at a certain level before I start focusing on creating my own songs, since if I can't play fast like Paul Gilbert, I have alot less options, since I love all of those fast stuff biggrin.gif, currently I am just looking thru alot of the Racer X songs, and trying to figure out which one seems "easist" to learn tongue.gif

QUOTE (maharzan @ Oct 17 2011, 12:21 PM) *
While the DVDs are helpful (doing a solo for 3 months straight is going to be very boring so refreshing yourself is important), if you start learning the licks from the song right away, you already learn so much stuff. Learn to tame your fingers, timing, sync, right hand picking, oh so many things. You don't have to actually do all the DVD and then learn the solo. It can be the reverse. smile.gif

BTW, if you can start a thread when you start practicing and write up a "blog" like updates now and then, it would be really great for everyone of us to see your progress.

Well, as I said I wont start out with Scarified tongue.gif, currently I will some exercises every day, and when it is around the 120 bpm (16th triplets), I can start learning all of the stuff like Technical Difficulties, since then I have the speed for it, meanwhile I want to learn some of the songs, maybe just the rhythm part, and also try and find a song that I have the current speed for smile.gif, and no I wont do a whole DVD, I got alot of hes DVDs, almost all, and then I build my own opinion from what he says, and I only pick out a few of hes exercises, that I think is really awesome, since in the Intese Rock DVD, he names around 10 different AP patterns, and I only went with one, since that one I find most useful! biggrin.gif, then I also got another one that I got from hes Get Out Of My Yard instructional DVD, but oh well tongue.gif

I'll think about the blog thing, are you thinking of a weekly or monthly update, of my repetoire progress, and how my exercises are going, etc?

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
maharzan
Oct 17 2011, 01:53 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
For the blog, perhaps weekly or any time you like to update whenever you think you progressed. smile.gif

You know what, I thought exactly what you are thinking. If I would do one lesson at say 120bpm, I could do all others too. But I was wrong. It takes equally same amount of time to get there. Probably if you do like 100 lessons, you might get to that quicker. However, if you do 150bpm then its easier to play another song with 120bpm. Relativity perhaps. I still take so much time learning new licks, mainly because, the picking/fingering/etc is totally different and it takes time to adapt. While you can try other lessons, I am just warning you it won't be easy to do Scarified at the same tempo. Thats why, I am emphasizing on do the Scarified lesson directly but at say 60-70% slow tempo. Your left/right hand gets used to it and once you nail it, it will be very easy to speed up. Anyway, just giving you a suggestion. I have been practicing for 3 years (played dormantly for 16 years before that) now but I still struggle to play a full length song. Even easy stuff takes a month to master.

This post has been edited by maharzan: Oct 17 2011, 01:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Oct 17 2011, 02:39 PM
I see, and I agree with your opinions, but the idea of me being able to do an AP exercise at 120 bpm, will make it alot easier to learn Technical Difficulties, I know I wont be able to play it right away, but still, it will be easier, since! I can already alternate pick at 120, and my left and right side is synchronized, then the hard part is "mastered", then I just need to get the new lick down.
But I like your idea of just mastering a song at around 60-70% speed or even 50%, so lets say I learn to play Scarified, and bam it is mastered at 50% speed, then I just go to 51 or 52% then master it there then 53 or 54 then there etc etc till i get to 100? I like how this idea sounds, seems really effectivly when I think about it smile.gif

QUOTE (maharzan @ Oct 17 2011, 02:53 PM) *
For the blog, perhaps weekly or any time you like to update whenever you think you progressed. smile.gif

You know what, I thought exactly what you are thinking. If I would do one lesson at say 120bpm, I could do all others too. But I was wrong. It takes equally same amount of time to get there. Probably if you do like 100 lessons, you might get to that quicker. However, if you do 150bpm then its easier to play another song with 120bpm. Relativity perhaps. I still take so much time learning new licks, mainly because, the picking/fingering/etc is totally different and it takes time to adapt. While you can try other lessons, I am just warning you it won't be easy to do Scarified at the same tempo. Thats why, I am emphasizing on do the Scarified lesson directly but at say 60-70% slow tempo. Your left/right hand gets used to it and once you nail it, it will be very easy to speed up. Anyway, just giving you a suggestion. I have been practicing for 3 years (played dormantly for 16 years before that) now but I still struggle to play a full length song. Even easy stuff takes a month to master.

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 17 2011, 02:46 PM
Instructor
The most powerful thing in finding direction is making the desicion ! Now the exciting stuff begins.. cool.gif

I love that feeling when you just go 'I'm going to do THAT !'

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Oct 17 2011, 02:48 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 17 2011, 03:46 PM) *
The most powerful thing in finding direction is making the desicion ! Now the exciting stuff begins.. cool.gif

I love that feeling when you just go 'I'm going to do THAT !'

Hehe, yeah the fun stuff is about the begin biggrin.gif, and the frustrating, but if I stick with it, and I have enough willpower, I'll manage to do it smile.gif ! Which is what I want!

Yeah its a nice feeling tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
maharzan
Oct 18 2011, 03:12 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
If you can do it at 50% speed, 60% is just few days away and it goes on like that, much easier and faster than trying to play sloppy at 100%. You never get accurate that way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Oct 18 2011, 03:25 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Qenzoz @ Oct 16 2011, 02:17 PM) *
Thanks, and thanks for the advice, actually helped me alot already, without trying, just makes sense in my head biggrin.gif

don't give up ,it is around the corner
I stoped playing in 03 after my band broke up and I figured that my time had come and gone and I did not make it big
if you want to hear my band it is in the gmc radio under" jstcrsn"
but about 3 and a half years ago I picked up the guitar again and found that I love playing as much in my home as I do in front of a crowd
it has taken me that long to get rid of the bad habits of years of trying to play stuff too fast for me( and ended up playing sloppy)
and this morning I was playing "Bark at the moon" solo at 126,( 140 is full speed)
Reach for what interests you ,but play it slow enough to play it perfect

peace

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:13 AM