"re-amping Tutorial"
Todd Simpson
Jul 29 2016, 06:24 PM
GMC:er
Many of you have probably been thinking, "Hmmm. I keep hearing about "Re-Amping". What is it and how is it done?" Here is a vid to break it down smile.gif

The good news is that you can "Re-Amp" virtually as well simply by recording dry/direct signal with a plugin like guitar rig or something and then changing the plugin to a different one or changing the settings on the plugin you have. The reason this is a bit better IMHO is that it allows MUCH greater flexibility. You can go back as many times as you like and change the plugin and change the settings without having to run the entire guitar track through an actual amp in real time (the length of the song typically) Re-Amping is sorta the original old school way of changing a tone that you didn't like. The more modern approach is "Virtual Re-Amping" using a plugin and IR loader if needed. You can skip the pricey head/cab and just use your laptop and a couple of plugins. In the final mix, you can get a much cleaner sound too IMHO given that most folks here are fairly new to recording. Getting an actual amp to sound right inside your computer is tough. It's worth working on, but if you are more interested in completing the song than repositioning the mic on the cab all day, it can save wads of time.

Anyhoo, here is the REAMPING vid using real amps smile.gif (Worth knowing how to do, just not something I suggest doing very often)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 31 2016, 02:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
For a long time I wondered what re-amping was, and then I figured out I was already doing it, I suppose. At least what I think it was, as you explain, recording a dry signal that can be changed. It always seemed the most logical approach to me, at least when working with plugins.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 4 2016, 08:19 PM
GMC:er
Well said smile.gif Some folks reamp with actual hardware which is fine too but it basically "burns" the tone in to the signal. You still have a copy of your original of course, but going back and making changes is a bit more of a pain. I've found, like you, that "Reamping" via plugins is just much much much more practical and effective. Being able to change the tone/gain/etc in real time while listening to a mix is just great smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 31 2016, 09:26 AM) *
For a long time I wondered what re-amping was, and then I figured out I was already doing it, I suppose. At least what I think it was, as you explain, recording a dry signal that can be changed. It always seemed the most logical approach to me, at least when working with plugins.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 4 2016, 08:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 4 2016, 09:19 PM) *
Well said smile.gif Some folks reamp with actual hardware which is fine too but it basically "burns" the tone in to the signal. You still have a copy of your original of course, but going back and making changes is a bit more of a pain. I've found, like you, that "Reamping" via plugins is just much much much more practical and effective. Being able to change the tone/gain/etc in real time while listening to a mix is just great smile.gif

Todd

It really is. I've spent a lot of time going back and forth between tones, tweaking a bit etc. It's the way that makes the most sense to me.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:20 PM