Practicing With The Metronome
tonyparnham
Jul 2 2009, 09:02 PM
GMC:er
Hi,
I'm a new member but not a new player and I am working on the first solo pedal section of 'I'll see the light tonight' by Yngwie. Although I'm in my 60's I have worked up to a new speed with the brilliant metronome practice as taught by you guys at GMC but I'm not quite there yet.
My question is; The speed I build up to one day encourages me at the end of my practice routine but the next day when I continue my practice, it seems I have to start again somewhat slower and then it takes me a while to get to where I was the day before (if you see what I mean). How is it you guys can pick up the guitar and go for it every time, I mean how long will it take me, how many times do I have to play it at one metronome speed before I move up to the next notch to nail this section, is it my age or arn't I doing it right.
Regards Tony

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jul 2 2009, 09:10 PM
Instructor
That's all normal. The same happens to me even after more than 25 years of playing. Just keep practicing and you'll be fine. Even Yngwie needs to warm up before he goes for something very fast.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 2 2009, 09:28 PM
Instructor
It's normal as Emir said, you just have to be patient. Best way to achive faster tempos is by playing precise everything you play, and I mean extremely precise. Having that in mind and focusing on precision while you push up the tempo will get you much further. When you see you cannot go any further, you become a bit sloppy, stop and rest. In a couple of days or in a week the stuff will settle down and you will be able to push the speed a bit more, and so on...

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 2 2009, 09:29 PM
Instructor
All normal, no need for panic.
And the more you practice ( hours per week )
the less warm-up you'll need to get back in shape. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
tonyparnham
Jul 2 2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys for your input on this, I got a little down about it thinking I'm not good enough to go further with it but I am now inspired and enthusiastic again knowing its normal.
Many thanks Tony

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jul 2 2009, 10:02 PM
QUOTE (tonyparnham @ Jul 2 2009, 04:47 PM) *
Thanks guys for your input on this, I got a little down about it thinking I'm not good enough to go further with it but I am now inspired and enthusiastic again knowing its normal.
Many thanks Tony

Tony I feel that way all the time. But I enjoy the guitar so I continue. I practice a little triplet exercise that Emir gave me almost everyday. I'm nowhere near the speed he can play it, but I'm faster than I was. I realize it will just take time and practice. Problem is us older guys are running out of time. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Jul 2 2009, 10:42 PM
Instructor
Always remember that playing an instrument is like any other physical activity. A guy that can run 100m in 8 sec. needs a lot of training and he won't be able to do it unless he warms up a little before trying such a demanding thing.
So, don't panic, it's perfectly normal.
Just keep practicing and the level you have when you grab your guitar will increase with the time.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 3 2009, 01:46 AM
Instructor
Excellent original post !
You have basically described what playing with metronome and moving tempos is really like. At times when you are warmed up and into it , tempos seem normal and natural. When you grab guitar tomorrow and try the same tempo it doesn't work that way!
Do you think guys who sprint for gold medals every day train with their top speeds immediately ? Of course not, otherwise their muscles would get strained and injured smile.gif So they just like us need to warm up stretch and reach their best time.
The same thing applies to metronome. Over couple of years time your starting tempo will be definitely changed. Lets say now you can play 16th notes at 80 bpm without any mistakes as soon as you grab guitar. Well in 2-3-4-5 years (depending on when how and what you practice) your starting tempo might be 100,120bpm!
Thats the beauty of metronome anyways but I am very glad to see you had that revelation. Keep up the good work you are on the right track, don't get discouraged !!!

P.S. I just saw that Ramiro made very similar analogy that I mentioned with running - awesome smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Jul 3 2009, 01:47 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
tonyparnham
Jul 3 2009, 08:14 AM
Thank you everyone for your input on this post, I suppose I stupidly thought that I might achieve the level you chaps could in a week or two. I now have things properly in perspective from your excellent advice and now rather than worrying about why I'm not getting to top speed in a few hours I will start to enjoy metronome work knowing it will happen in the fullness of time.
Regards Tony Parnham

+Quote Post
Ivan Zecic
Jul 3 2009, 11:08 AM
There's another great thing you can do - stretch!

Check out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrAaMLpP20k

It could be very beneficial, especially if you are a little older.

--------------------
Check out my lessons!

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Jul 4 2009, 02:58 AM
Before you speed up the metronome, just be sure of understand every note and duration of them. And try to to figure out the way you can play,what you're working on, more easily. And don't be afraid, that is something totally normal. It's all a matter of time

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jul 5 2009, 03:32 AM
Learning Rock Star
I haven't attempted any light-speed Yngwie solos yet, but the metronome sure helps ! smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Jul 6 2009, 06:43 PM
QUOTE (Toroso @ Jul 2 2009, 02:02 PM) *
Tony I feel that way all the time. But I enjoy the guitar so I continue. I practice a little triplet exercise that Emir gave me almost everyday. I'm nowhere near the speed he can play it, but I'm faster than I was. I realize it will just take time and practice. Problem is us older guys are running out of time. biggrin.gif

Torso:
what triplet excercise do you practice daily, as I need something simple to incorporate into my schedule. Can you share what you use.

Thanks,
Michael

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jul 6 2009, 08:03 PM
Jazz Instructor
Tonny, that is universal experience. Progress isn't linear, it goes up down up down up up down....something like that smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:11 PM