What Pick-ups Should I Choose For My 7-string?, It's an Ibanez Rg 1527
Daniel Realpe
Jun 28 2010, 06:49 PM
Instructor
Hi!

I want to change the stock pick ups on my 7 string Ibanez 1527

I've heard really good things about DiMarzio and some of my favorite guitarists use them (Steve Vai, John Petrucci)

I read some forums and the specs of each, and I really liked those D-Sonic 7 (I really like the way they look too tongue.gif)

But also those Blaze

or the Evolution perhaps?

Do you guys maybe know which ones should suit me better?

My playing goes in the vain of Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Symphony X, Angra, Vinnie Moore,

Thank you!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
ZakkWylde
Jun 28 2010, 06:52 PM
Learning Tone Master
Evolutions all the way in a basswood Ibanez! (perfect for the styles you mentioned)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Jun 28 2010, 07:13 PM
Instructor
here!

http://www.emginc.com/products/category/36/1

you need no more!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 28 2010, 07:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
Actives are a whole diffrent thing Lian! It requires a 9V battery (that can be fitted into the electric cavity) and the original pickup cavities have to be drilled out as the 7 String EMG pickups have a soapbar design that is MUCH BIGGER than the standard pickup size.

A luthier has to drill the new compartement if you want emg pickups - and once drilled out the cavities will be too big for standard pickups...You would have to be REALLY sure if you want EMGs because they would have to stay in that guitar!

Also I would rather get the Emg 707 X for the music Daniel wants to play (smoother leads and more dynamics than the 81-7).

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jun 28 2010, 07:46 PM
Instructor
evos are great pickups for ur guitar daniel, 100% recommended.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Jun 28 2010, 07:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jun 28 2010, 03:26 PM) *
Actives are a whole diffrent thing Lian! It requires a 9V battery (that can be fitted into the electric cavity) and the original pickup cavities have to be drilled out as the 7 String EMG pickups have a soapbar design that is MUCH BIGGER than the standard pickup size.

A luthier has to drill the new compartement if you want emg pickups - and once drilled out the cavities will be too big for standard pickups...You would have to be REALLY sure if you want EMGs because they would have to stay in that guitar!

Also I would rather get the Emg 707 X for the music Daniel wants to play (smoother leads and more dynamics than the 81-7).

I did'nt knew that the EMG ones are bigger than the standard ones, that really makes a difference.
I have a friend with EMG 81-7 and they are killer, but if you have to modify your guitar, you really have to be sure.
great input zakk!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 28 2010, 07:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
You can see on the picture in your link Lian that on the 7 (and 8) string Emgs, the screws to mount them are within the body of the pickup instead of having mounting legs like other pickups. This gives the humbucker a *cleaner* look but it also makes the pickup larger...

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 29 2010, 12:16 AM
GMC:er
I'm a BIG fan of EMG pickups and their 7 string sets are just killer. I've got a pair of EMGs (Twin 707's) that are slated for my Ibanez 7 string. The 9 volt and the electronics can fit in the standard volume/tone cavity in most Ibanez models so you can probably skip routing a new hole.

EMG now has the 707x which has more headroom and organic voicing than the basic 707. Give these a listen if possible. They bridge the gap between active and passive tone while still providing the benefits of an active architecture.
EMG 707X

I put the Kerry King EMG set with toggle switch booster in my Minarik Lotus and it changed the axe in to a Monster. EVO's are a great choice as well. It all comes down to preference of course. Try to play an Ibanez with both if possible. Given that the EMG's are Active, there is just no way that passive pickups can match the shear amount of Gain/Distortion that EMGs provide. Still, some folks just don't like the way they sound. Too "Digital", or Harsh for some folks.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 29 2010, 12:20 AM

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jun 29 2010, 11:39 AM
Instructor
Thank you very much, I will definitely check into your recommendations guys!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 29 2010, 09:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Jun 29 2010, 01:58 AM) *
Make sure to look at the pickups in terms of output etc.. i heard the d-sonic's are good... chris broderick says he uses them and he couldnt possibly design a better pickup for him but again does he even have them in a basswood guitar? O.o

Chris Broderick went to DiMarzio because they pay him to play their pickups...
He was one of the first Bareknuckle endorsers and played the Cold Sweat and Nailbomb pickups by Bareknuckle druing his days at Jag Panzer and Nevermore but DiMarzio offered him more cash when he joined Megadeth so he switched the companies.

However I am fairly sure that he still has the old Bareknuckles in his studio gutiars since they just sound vastly superior to DiMarzio machinewound pickups!!!

He used to play basswood RGs but today he has some custom RGAs that have mahagony bodies and maple tops...

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 2 2010, 03:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jun 29 2010, 09:42 PM) *
Chris Broderick went to DiMarzio because they pay him to play their pickups...
He was one of the first Bareknuckle endorsers and played the Cold Sweat and Nailbomb pickups by Bareknuckle druing his days at Jag Panzer and Nevermore but DiMarzio offered him more cash when he joined Megadeth so he switched the companies.

However I am fairly sure that he still has the old Bareknuckles in his studio gutiars since they just sound vastly superior to DiMarzio machinewound pickups!!!

He used to play basswood RGs but today he has some custom RGAs that have mahagony bodies and maple tops...

You were right Zakk

This is what I found on his website:

Guitars: A few Ibanez 7321 and 1527 7 string guitars with Bare Knuckle pickups in the bridge and neck position. I prefer those pickups because the custom is loud and has more note projection than any other pickup I've heard. An Ibanez 7 string acoustic, which is pretty cool, for adding those extra low notes on an instrument that most people don't have. One individually built Edward Victor Classical guitar, with Brazilian Rosewood and European Spruce. A Fender American Deluxe strat (when I got the blues) A double neck guitar I built for doing the 2 handed tapping stuff.

and just below:

Pickups: DiMARZIO

the thing is, price is way different, but those bareknuckles really look good,

This post has been edited by Daniel Realpe: Jul 2 2010, 03:12 PM

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 2 2010, 03:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yes the Bareknuckles are more expensive but they are handmade from the best materials and wax potted by hand which makes them a lot quieter than other pickups. But be warned, you might get addicted to the better tone, more precise responce and clear sound of custom made pickups^^

I would say it's worth it if you gonna put them in your #1 guitar that you use.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 2 2010, 03:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jul 2 2010, 03:23 PM) *
Yes the Bareknuckles are more expensive but they are handmade from the best materials and wax potted by hand which makes them a lot quieter than other pickups. But be warned, you might get addicted to the better tone, more precise responce and clear sound of custom made pickups^^

I would say it's worth it if you gonna put them in your #1 guitar that you use.

thanks Zakk, I'll consider it

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:06 PM