Calling Amp Techies :), A new head and cab..?
Smikey2006
Sep 17 2007, 08:52 AM
GMC:er
Hello guys, Im trying to choose a new amp and cab to get ( not abandonning Krank just looking for something for my other band). My budget here is about $1500 Canadian. I was looking at a Randall and a Peavey 6506 or a 5150. Randall is not a tube but i really want a tube head. Marshall is my other option but again my price restraints, i also wanna buy something new not used and i want a matching cab. Any Ideas list the pros and cons plz

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Understudy
Sep 17 2007, 09:25 AM
Try Carvin.com they have great prices on half stacks and the like. I check their site all the time and the prices are great. They have many different models, all tube amps and you can hear sound clips for most on you tube. The Vai legacy got great reviews but they have other product lines that review even better.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 17 2007, 10:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Understudy @ Sep 17 2007, 10:25 AM) *
Try Carvin.com they have great prices on half stacks and the like. I check their site all the time and the prices are great. They have many different models, all tube amps and you can hear sound clips for most on you tube. The Vai legacy got great reviews but they have other product lines that review even better.

Yeah Carvin is great.
Still,money value will stuck you a bit.
I'm not sure of prices a lot but check out many brands,Mesa,H&K,Brunneti,Engl,even Fender..
On websites and then into stores,discounts are everywhere smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 17 2007, 04:34 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Sep 17 2007, 09:52 AM) *
*snip*I was looking at a Randall and a Peavey 6506 or a 5150. Randall is not a tube but i really want a tube head. *snip*i also wanna buy something new not used and i want a matching cab.

New and not used rules our the 5150 but the 6505 is the same thing. But rather have a look at 6505+ which has some extra features and one more pre amp tube.

If brand is not an issue Bugera is releasing 6505, XXX and JSX clones... whenever. 1/3 of the prices of the originals the issue is that it's not released yet, it should have been but the release date was pushed forward and I belive it's due for October 1'st. That should then fit your budget for both a matching head and cabinet.
I mean, for 1/3 of the price, how bad can it be?

Another quality amp is ENGL Powerball, a bit over your budget but maybe the Fireball would fit right in. I don't know what they charge for ENGL's over in US and Canada.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 17 2007, 05:47 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Other possibilities to look at are Laney and Orange. Like MickeM I have no idea what these will cost in Canada but based on UK/Europe prices there should be some in your price range.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Sep 17 2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks guys , im looking into a bunch of this stuff.. Orange is the only 1 that is rediculously priced.. because its european and im stuck here in canada they start at about 1700+ for just a head. Also has anyone heard of the company Menz Benz?

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 17 2007, 10:09 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 17 2007, 06:47 PM) *
Other possibilities to look at are Laney and Orange. Like MickeM I have no idea what these will cost in Canada but based on UK/Europe prices there should be some in your price range.

Cheers,
Tony

Yes, Laney VH100R is sweet. Assuming we're still browsing the 100W segment like with the other amps cool.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 17 2007, 10:11 PM
Do you mean Genz Benz amps Smikey? Genz Benz amps get pretty good reviews usually but I'm not sure if you could get a head and a cab in your price range. Think the diablo head sells new for around 1200-1500USD without a cab- matching cab probably about 550USD. You might have more luck though getting it used for 1500.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 17 2007, 10:13 PM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Sep 17 2007, 08:22 PM) *
Thanks guys , im looking into a bunch of this stuff.. Orange is the only 1 that is rediculously priced.. because its european and im stuck here in canada they start at about 1700+ for just a head. Also has anyone heard of the company Menz Benz?

Not Menz Benz but Genz Benz, don't know much about them.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 17 2007, 10:14 PM
- Never realised that Orange bumped the price up so much for the Americas blink.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Goliath
Sep 17 2007, 10:24 PM
You can get an ENGL Thunder 50w head for 892$ USD from musiciansfriend.com. The only problem is that ENGL cabs in NA is obscenely expensive and that will put it out of your price range.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Sep 18 2007, 03:53 AM
Yes its Genz Benz how silly of me smile.gif I just saw a 100watt combo and it sounded awsome for about 1600. Im looking in the 100watt price range but have started to take notice of the ENGL Fireball or any of their products. they seem reasonably prices and im hoping i can find a dealer in canada

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 18 2007, 04:23 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 17 2007, 05:14 PM) *
- Never realised that Orange bumped the price up so much for the Americas blink.gif .

Oh Yes tongue.gif
Man those amps cost like more than Marshall here blink.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:06 AM