Another Newbie Question - Sounding Like Kurt!
Pavlov
Dec 27 2008, 08:49 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys!

My current equipment is a Les Paul Studio (vintage mahogany) and a small Vox DA5 amplifier. Imagine I told you, with this gear that's nothing at all like Kurt Cobain's, I want wish to emulate that Nirvana sound as much as possible. In the distant future, I really want to buy a Fender Mustang '65 Reissue, but that'll probably take at least 6 months before I will have gathered that money. And another 6 months for low-watt Tube amp.

I noticed Kurt uses the Boss DS1 distortion pedal and the small clone chorus effect a lot. Imagine I'd buy these two items - would I be able to roughly (not exactly) to emulate Kurts sound? Or will that really require a Mustang/Jaguar/Strat with a better amp?

I love my Les Paul, but sometimes I think I'm in love with the wrong music for it (I love Frusciante and Kurt's tones, luckily I'm also a Foo Fighters and Sabbath fan, and anything in between) and that I should've gotten a mexican or usa strat, as they seem much more 'allround'. Of course, the Les Paul I have is pretty rare here and strats are everywhere, which is still very cool. But it seems not to be able to handle some types of music - but maybe I'm wrong. I'd just like to sound a tad grungy from time to time.

Yours,

Michael

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Pavlov: Dec 27 2008, 08:50 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 27 2008, 09:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
I don't think aming for someone elses sound is a good idea afterall. Use their sound and style as inspiration to create your own sound and style. You already have e great guitar and I would suggest to buy a decent amp next.

The Nirvana tone is not a very good tone because it was meant to sound rough and shitty as a part of the grunge movement. You can get that muddy punkish sound out of almost every amp but there is also a Grunge Pedal by Digitech if you need that exact sound

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Dec 27 2008, 09:43 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Dec 27 2008, 09:14 PM) *
I don't think aming for someone elses sound is a good idea afterall. Use their sound and style as inspiration to create your own sound and style. You already have e great guitar and I would suggest to buy a decent amp next.

The Nirvana tone is not a very good tone because it was meant to sound rough and shitty as a part of the grunge movement. You can get that muddy punkish sound out of almost every amp but there is also a Grunge Pedal by Digitech if you need that exact sound

I just want to clarify that I don't want to emulate his sounds for all my playing. I'm just a huge fan of Nirvana songs and when covering them, I'd like to sound as much like Nirvana as possible.

If there was a style of playing I'd like to make 'my own', it'd definitely not be Kurt's - it'll likely be along the lines of Frusciante. But I'm probably in far too early a stage (having only seriously been playing for not more than two months now) to say how I'd like to develop a style, if any. But still, I feel it's worth mentioning the icons that made me pick up a guitar almost two years ago in the first place. smile.gif

Thanks! I'll like into that grunge pedal.

I just learned about Line 6 amps. I knew about them, but I never took the time to get into them because my guitar teacher hates them with a fiery passion. Dislikes how artificial they sound - but then again, he only plays E1000+ tube amps.

Now that I'm looking at it, a Line 6 amp with a footswitch would be perfect for me, wouldn't it?

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 27 2008, 10:07 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Line6 gear is great for beginners and for people that need to emulate a lot of different sounds.
You can actually get quite a few good tones out of a Line6 amp.

But for real tone and "oomph", tube is the way to go smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Dec 27 2008, 10:10 PM
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Dec 27 2008, 10:07 PM) *
Line6 gear is great for beginners and for people that need to emulate a lot of different sounds.
You can actually get quite a few good tones out of a Line6 amp.

But for real tone and "oomph", tube is the way to go smile.gif

Is there perhaps some kind of Line 6 pedal that I can use to emulate those sounds right now on my Vox DA5, and simply be able to use when/if I get a tube amp one day? And easily take with me if I ever get to jamming with some of my friends? It has to be compatible with some kind of footswitch, for those moments when I want to switch (for example) from clean to distorted in the same song. I read something along the lines of Floor POD. How is that?

If not, I'll look into a Line 6 amp itself.

I know I sound very confused and very, very new. Please be assured that I have done some work myself so that I'm not just blindly asking questions while not having done anything myself. There's just such a huge selection of all kinds of things you could put in between an amp and the guitar that I'm a tad overwhelmed.

This post has been edited by Pavlov: Dec 27 2008, 10:23 PM

+Quote Post
ChrisVdS
Dec 28 2008, 11:22 AM
This is what you need:

a Boss DS-1 it's the pedal Kurt Cobain used for the Nevermind album
a fender mustang
a pack of new strings 0.10 thickness
a Mesa boogie studio 22 amp

I guess these would kinda give you his sound since this was some of the gear he used

This post has been edited by ChrisVdS: Dec 28 2008, 11:25 AM

--------------------
Gear:

Fender "California series" stratocaster
Roland Cube 20X
Peavey Envoy 110

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 28 2008, 11:23 AM
GMC Founder
Great advice ChrisVDS - thanks! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChrisVdS
Dec 28 2008, 11:26 AM
Your welcome Kris and it's just Chris Kris laugh.gif

--------------------
Gear:

Fender "California series" stratocaster
Roland Cube 20X
Peavey Envoy 110

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 28 2008, 11:36 AM
QUOTE (Pavlov @ Dec 27 2008, 10:10 PM) *
Is there perhaps some kind of Line 6 pedal that I can use to emulate those sounds right now on my Vox DA5, and simply be able to use when/if I get a tube amp one day? And easily take with me if I ever get to jamming with some of my friends? It has to be compatible with some kind of footswitch, for those moments when I want to switch (for example) from clean to distorted in the same song. I read something along the lines of Floor POD. How is that?

If not, I'll look into a Line 6 amp itself.

I know I sound very confused and very, very new. Please be assured that I have done some work myself so that I'm not just blindly asking questions while not having done anything myself. There's just such a huge selection of all kinds of things you could put in between an amp and the guitar that I'm a tad overwhelmed.

A Pod, either a floor-based or a desktop unit could do you good smile.gif
There are also floorbased multieffect units by other brands which are just as good;
Vox and Boss to name the top contenders smile.gif

You should check those out as well, and buy the one that you think suits you the most smile.gif

ChrisVDS gave you a great tip as well, and if you want to know more about Kurts gear
you can check it out HERE! smile.gif

Have fun, and good luck mate!

This post has been edited by audiopaal: Dec 28 2008, 11:40 AM

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Dec 28 2008, 11:37 AM
QUOTE (ChrisVdS @ Dec 28 2008, 11:22 AM) *
This is what you need:

a Boss DS-1 it's the pedal Kurt Cobain used for the Nevermind album
a fender mustang
a pack of new strings 0.10 thickness
a Mesa boogie studio 22 amp

I guess these would kinda give you his sound since this was some of the gear he used

Thanks! I guess I'll start with the strings, then slowly buy everything I need.

You guys can expect a great 'come as you are' cover in about 12 years from now then!

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Dec 28 2008, 03:27 PM
Kurt didn't use an amp. He used an average crown power amplifier, here's a link
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...fier?sku=481584
They range from 300-1500 dollars.

This post has been edited by Marshmall0wz: Dec 28 2008, 03:28 PM

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 28 2008, 03:34 PM
QUOTE (Marshmall0wz @ Dec 28 2008, 03:27 PM) *
Kurt didn't use an amp. He used an average crown power amplifier, here's a link
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...fier?sku=481584
They range from 300-1500 dollars.

Yes he did use a Crown power amplifier, to drive his Mesa Boogie Studio 22 wink.gif
Click my link a few posts up and you'll see what I mean smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 28 2008, 05:18 PM
Instructor
Singe coils are important part of the Nirvana sound, but with LP you can achieve similar effect. Just get DS1 pedal, and a small clone. These two pedals have enough personality on their own, and with a good preset on your amp you can achieve something similar to Nirvana sound. It may be a good idea to get a single coil guitar in the future, and if you really want Mustang Reissue that's cool, but I think even with Mexican Strat you can be happy. I think the more important thing is a tube amp, so IMO you should get a good tube amp first and then aim for second guitar. In the meantime these two pedals should be enough to keep you busy for some time man.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Dec 28 2008, 05:42 PM
I guess my question has now been answered in detail. Thanks everyone who took the time to reply. I appreciate it. Thanks Ivan, I'll try to get those two pedals first. Really got my heart set on a mustang (in love with it since the first time I saw it when I was 11, I want one if only for looks, don't mind if I have to upgrade the pickups!), however, so I'll get one of those before I get a tube amp. Then again, with those two pedals I don't need one of the more expensive 5watters, so that will save me some money.

This post has been edited by Pavlov: Dec 28 2008, 05:43 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 28 2008, 06:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pavlov @ Dec 28 2008, 05:42 PM) *
I guess my question has now been answered in detail. Thanks everyone who took the time to reply. I appreciate it. Thanks Ivan, I'll try to get those two pedals first. Really got my heart set on a mustang (in love with it since the first time I saw it when I was 11, I want one if only for looks, don't mind if I have to upgrade the pickups!), however, so I'll get one of those before I get a tube amp. Then again, with those two pedals I don't need one of the more expensive 5watters, so that will save me some money.

I hear you mate, if Mustang is in your hearth - then by all means - go for it! It's an awesome guitar indeed! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Dec 28 2008, 07:30 PM
Ignore most replies in this thread mate. Nirvana are my favourite band ever. To get his tone is tricky but doable as its a high driven tone but with a clean poppy edge. I would get a strat, mustang or jaguar guitar but most important are the pedals. A ds2 - changed to for in utero tour, small clone and echo chorus are needed most. Also he had a sans amp pedal. Amp wise he changed a lot. Marshall jcm 800 op a fender twin reverb are best.

Best of luck mate. Kurt rocked. Nobody was more talented than him at songwriting.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Dec 31 2008, 02:59 AM
I think I've posted about what I think about trying to copy others' tone, but I'll not go into it here.

I do spend a lot of time digging around reading about what certain players use though since I'm looking at taking bits and pieces here and there that I think would be interesting.

You're not losing much by sticking with the Les Paul vs Mustang/Jaguar/Jagstang. Most of his guitars were played through a Hot Rails humbucker in the bridge. Basic tone tended to come from the DS1, SansAmp and whatever amp he was using cranked. Loud, nasty and dirty through gear that's not exotic and wasn't expensive at the time.

There's a website that goes into all of his gear in excruciating detail:

http://www.kurtsequipment.com/

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:37 AM