4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
What Do You Do For A Living ?, Whats your job (or main occupation, like studying)
Stijntjen
May 1 2007, 12:26 PM
GMC:er
Hi,

I've been working in the garden now for 2 days, basically diggin 50 cm at 1 side and transport it 12 metre further to get an even surface for our swimming pool. So from all the digging and making things even my hands are completely massacred, cuts all over, lots of blaters and just overall pain.
So i was wondering what you do for a living. I can't imagine that there are a lot of construction workers that play guitar so i want to know for sure tongue.gif.
Soooo basically post here what your job is or if you're a student post the direction you're following.

Me ==> Student by day (company-management) and i work in the evenings as a lifeguard to be able to affort a guitar or 3.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 1 2007, 01:50 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Computer consultant (my company makes Internet security software) - all the typing reinforces my guitar calluses wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: May 1 2007, 01:51 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 1 2007, 02:03 PM
Instructor
Studying Informatics (university in Croatia sucks bigtime). Working at GMC wink.gif

Got a license for Tourist Guide - worked with tourists last summer - went crazy and don't want to hear about tourism any more!

This post has been edited by Pavel: May 1 2007, 02:03 PM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Ibanex
May 1 2007, 02:07 PM
Hey Pavel!
I saw your website. I like it and hope to see release termin for your first Album. wink.gif wink.gif
Do you plan to become a professional musician. You have all it takes...

+Quote Post
blindwillie
May 1 2007, 02:44 PM
Computer-technician here. Since 1985. Should have learned the guitar then instead and picked up computers as a hobby later smile.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 1 2007, 02:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ibanex @ May 1 2007, 03:07 PM) *
Hey Pavel!
I saw your website. I like it and hope to see release termin for your first Album. wink.gif wink.gif
Do you plan to become a professional musician. You have all it takes...

Becoming professional guitarist is my main goal! I really hope it will come true one day! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 1 2007, 03:12 PM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ May 1 2007, 09:44 AM) *
Computer-technician here. Since 1985. Should have learned the guitar then instead and picked up computers as a hobby later smile.gif

Yes, that's exactly where I went wrong!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 1 2007, 03:13 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
IT consultant, developer. I do all work from my home office except for when there's a meeting. It's golden, I save a lot of hours not traveling every day.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 1 2007, 03:14 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 1 2007, 09:53 AM) *
Becoming professional guitarist is my main goal! I really hope it will come true one day! smile.gif

Pavel, there is no doubt in my mind that you will make it! Even as an instructor and/or session musician you could make a tidy living, but I suspect we will see a lot more of you than that ... and you know that every GMCer will buy your first album smile.gif Don't be seduced by the evil, easy living of computers like I was, stay away from the dark side blink.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 1 2007, 03:22 PM
Instructor
Thanks a lot for your support guys!! smile.gif

I don't want to live from computers - i just have to finish the university to have any kind of diploma. My parents know that so they don't push me to have all best grades in university. I just have to finish it!

Again, thanks Andrew and other GMC-ers for support! GMC will get it's SPECIAL THANKS place on the cover of my first album! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
May 1 2007, 03:40 PM
System administrator. Web applications, databases, VMWare, that kind of stuff.

The keyboard doesn't help with my left-hand calluses but I have some built up from my mouse hand.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 1 2007, 03:44 PM
Instructor
OK i see a lot of IT involved workers here! May i ask you something?
I wonder how much of work did you learn at university - or to say better - how big your knowledge of the subject was before you started to work in IT?

Did you know a lot of IT when you started working or you learned a lot at work?? I am asking because as i said university here sucks so we don't learn too much of things there!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
May 1 2007, 03:45 PM
It sounds like everybody has nice jobs tongue.gif, except me i work at Freddy's Frozen Custards as a cook, but then again im only 17 haha...i also work wiht my g/f WOOT...tongue.gif so im a cook by day, and a musician by night HMMMMM

sniff sniff i want to be a musician day and night sad.gif Forever and always

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Robin
May 1 2007, 03:53 PM
I've been working in this really huge green house, or actually several really huge green houses put toghether, for 2 seasons. It's my first job, family buisness. When I get my drivers licence I might get a job delivering beer to the stores around town! laugh.gif But of course, my main goal is getting famous for my music and maybe earn alittle on it. Got 3 band projects going on atm tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Mark Schiewe
May 1 2007, 04:00 PM
I'm studying the recording/music arts and in about 2 years I hope to get my degree and get a job at either EA games Chicago or some record studio.

--------------------
Just remember, the last name is pronounced she-we

IPB Image My baby :)

+Quote Post
lefty01
May 1 2007, 04:29 PM
I am a male nurse, and yes...I'm straight. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Nick7744
May 1 2007, 04:34 PM
I am an Airline Captain on a Boeing 737. I am finding that guitars are about as frustrating to learn as a foreign language. But I am sticking with it.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
May 1 2007, 06:01 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 1 2007, 04:44 PM) *
Did you know a lot of IT when you started working or you learned a lot at work?? I am asking because as i said university here sucks so we don't learn too much of things there!

I started of as a programmer, learnt mainly Pascal in school. Got a job programming in Pascal, moved on to C. Got sick of coding so I changed job and started managing networks, servers and clients. Now I manage servers mainly running SQL and applications. Sick of that too now :/ Need a change of direction again.
So, to answer your question I guess the only part I learned at school was Pascal. That kept me going the first 2,5 years. Meanwhile I learned C (and a lot more about programming then in school) out of curiosity and changed course. That's the way it's been ever since. Everything I know now is things I've lerned along the way. Even about programming. The theoretical education was just a starter, most of my knowledge came from experience while working.

/edit:
I should add that those were the "Golden Days" when it all started to accelerate. You probably get better education today, and is better of with a good education. The competition is bigger now and companies require education.

This post has been edited by blindwillie: May 1 2007, 06:09 PM

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Zedd
May 1 2007, 06:45 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 1 2007, 03:44 PM) *
I wonder how much of work did you learn at university - or to say better - how big your knowledge of the subject was before you started to work in IT?

Heres the deal with IT.. I just finished a 3 year program for IT security / Networking and I cant say I learned anything of major importance. Anything you learn in an IT classroom could be self-taught in the comfort of your own bed when you wake up in the morning. You have to have an interest in it. And if you find it borning now, wait until you have to sit behind a desk doing it for the rest of your life. Computers are a very non-social tool and they will turn you into a robot.

After a year or two of IT, im planning on taking a 180 career change so i dont go insane...

+Quote Post
sb81
May 1 2007, 07:24 PM
Hmm, noticing a trend, I too work in IT tongue.gif

Basically just support client machines for the company, and also some scripting, DB programming/administration.

Only 25 though so hope for further advancement, server administration, etc.

Also hope to advance in guitar tongue.gif

QUOTE (Pavel @ May 1 2007, 03:44 PM) *

I dropped out of college, I basically learned all my computer knowledge on my own. For some reason, I have been real interested in computers since I was a kid... was programming basic on my Commodore64 when I was roughly 13 years old tongue.gif

Going to college for Computers kind of sucks, as computers change drastically over a short period of time. It's better to go to school for Certifications as they are typically specific to a certain area, and shorter.

However, it seems when hiring many companies still look for bachelor degrees in computer science.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:00 PM