> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

Can You Help Me With Some Spanish
shellshock1911
Feb 25 2008, 10:10 PM
GMC:er
Ok I know is like way off topic but I absolutely love learning foreign languages and the one I am focusing on right now is Spanish. I learn really fast and my teacher won't teach me what I want to learn and I am already way ahead of the class on stuff because of home studies.

Ok I know verbs have the 6 forms, lets use hablar for this thread.

So you got hablo, hablas, habla, hablamos, hablais, and hablan
The progressive form is hablando

But how do you do past-tense? I have done some examples on a traslator with "to swim" as nadar in past-tense and it comes up as nadé. The translator is wrong sometimes, so I was wondering if you could verify this as the correct way. And if so hablar would be hablé in past tense right? Is this basically true for all -ar verb infinitives? And I was wondering if you could list the endings for the other forms of -ar, -er, and -ir infinitives. Thx!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Feb 25 2008, 10:11 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 26 2008, 02:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Feb 25 2008, 06:10 PM) *
Ok I know is like way off topic but I absolutely love learning foreign languages and the one I am focusing on right now is Spanish. I learn really fast and my teacher won't teach me what I want to learn and I am already way ahead of the class on stuff because of home studies.

Ok I know verbs have the 6 forms, lets use hablar for this thread.

So you got hablo, hablas, habla, hablamos, hablais, and hablan
The progressive form is hablando

But how do you do past-tense? I have done some examples on a traslator with "to swim" as nadar in past-tense and it comes up as nadé. The translator is wrong sometimes, so I was wondering if you could verify this as the correct way. And if so hablar would be hablé in past tense right? Is this basically true for all -ar verb infinitives? And I was wondering if you could list the endings for the other forms of -ar, -er, and -ir infinitives. Thx!

Hey! This is amazing! smile.gif

The past tense of hablar is Hablé. I think that it's always when you have -ar ending.
but it has the 6 forms too...
let's say: hablo, hablas, habla, hablamos, hablais, and hablan
hablé, hablaste, habló, hablamos, hablasteis, hablaron.

-ir
for example "seguir" (follow). the past tense is seguí

present:
sigo, sigues, sigue, seguimos, xxxxx don't remember the one with eis because we don't use it in Argentina), siguen.
past:
seguí, seguiste, siguió, seguimos, siguieron.

-er
ex: comer (eat) the past is comí

present: como, comes, come, comemos, comeis, comen
past: comí, comiste, comió, comimos, comisteis, comiron.

wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Feb 26 2008, 03:04 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 26 2008, 02:14 AM) *
Hey! This is amazing! smile.gif

The past tense of hablar is Hablé. I think that it's always when you have -ar ending.
but it has the 6 forms too...
let's say: hablo, hablas, habla, hablamos, hablais, and hablan
hablé, hablaste, habló, hablamos, hablasteis, hablaron.

-ir
for example "seguir" (follow). the past tense is seguí

present:
sigo, sigues, sigue, seguimos, xxxxx don't remember the one with eis because we don't use it in Argentina), siguen.
past:
seguí, seguiste, siguió, seguimos, siguieron.

-er
ex: comer (eat) the past is comí

present: como, comes, come, comemos, comeis, comen
past: comí, comiste, comió, comimos, comisteis, comiron.

wink.gif

Thx so much! Now I can use make use of all the verbs I know in two tenses. Once I get these pretty good I will go for future tense. One more question though. With the nosotros form of seguir and comer you changed them to seguimos and comimos, signifying the change from present tense. However with hablar you used the same hablamos in both present and past, so I was wondering how you distuiguish them. Like say you want to "We talk" well obviously you would say "Hablamos," well wouldn't that literally mean the exact same thing as "We talked?" So I guessing it is just in the context it is used right? Thx again!

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Feb 26 2008, 03:07 AM
Learning Roadie
Ahh I remember spanish class.

I wish I could remember the spanish laugh.gif

Really though, I've been meaning to delve into it more, just haven't gotten around to it.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Feb 26 2008, 03:11 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Feb 26 2008, 03:07 AM) *
Ahh I remember spanish class.

I wish I could remember the spanish laugh.gif

Really though, I've been meaning to delve into it more, just haven't gotten around to it.

Yea everyday I learn 5 random but common words. Today I learned vacas, caballos, roca, manguera, y héreo. Cows, horses, rock, hosepipe, hero.

Also the best way to learn is read books in Spanish or watch TV in Spanish, instructional stuff can only help so much but it is the expressions and grammar that are the hardest part. Like think about it in English all the expressions we have, "By the way," "Might as well," "No kidding," etc. If you actually think about them, they don't literally mean the things they are used to express for. This can get confusing for people trying to learn English because I'm guessing they read things literally, like I would if I didn't know English. I don't know if Spanish has tons of meaningless expressions though like English, just assuming.

Good thing about Spanish is that if you can say it, you can spell it, and there is like 5 verb sounds total lol. And hardly any exceptions to the rules exist. Bad thing is due to the lack of distinct sounds, words get blended when you start speaking fast and I can't decipher it right now. Like today someone said "Voy a...." to me. They were going so fast I was thinking "What does 'boya' mean?" By the time I realized it was two words meaning "I am going to...," they had already finished what they were saying.

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Feb 26 2008, 03:19 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 26 2008, 01:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Feb 25 2008, 11:04 PM) *
Thx so much! Now I can use make use of all the verbs I know in two tenses. Once I get these pretty good I will go for future tense. One more question though. With the nosotros form of seguir and comer you changed them to seguimos and comimos, signifying the change from present tense. However with hablar you used the same hablamos in both present and past, so I was wondering how you distuiguish them. Like say you want to "We talk" well obviously you would say "Hablamos," well wouldn't that literally mean the exact same thing as "We talked?" So I guessing it is just in the context it is used right? Thx again!

Yes, it's just the context where it's used.

I have the same problem than you with spanish but with english. You talk very quickly and sometimes I can't understand everything but I think that it's just practice.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Feb 27 2008, 02:16 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 26 2008, 01:00 PM) *
Yes, it's just the context where it's used.

I have the same problem than you with spanish but with english. You talk very quickly and sometimes I can't understand everything but I think that it's just practice.

I was wondering, when you hear people talking English and when you are reading English, do you translate it into Spanish in your head, and then comprehend the Spanish, or are you able to directly comprehend English? Just wondering because I translate Spanish to English first in my and am just wondering if that can be overcome and just directly comprehended.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jamesito
Feb 27 2008, 02:26 AM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Feb 27 2008, 01:16 AM) *
I was wondering, when you hear people talking English and when you are reading English, do you translate it into Spanish in your head, and then comprehend the Spanish, or are you able to directly comprehend English? Just wondering because I translate Spanish to English first in my and am just wondering if that can be overcome and just directly comprehended.

Hey dude,

I´m from ther UK and have beern learning Spanish for 5 years, from School for 2 years and 3 on my own... When you reach a certain level in a foreign language you will stop thinking about it in so much, the owrst thing you can do is translate things in your head beacause you will get confused. It´s all practice practice, think of a language as like playing the guitar, especially memory, when ur a begineer you have to look at the fretboard to move your fingers into the right places, an intermediate will not look as often and a pro hardly ever, think about my metaphore hehe it really applies to languages too...

but never be put off, i started from Zero and am now a Hero ask Gabriel hahaha, I have lived in Ecuador and Spain though which helps, but you can become fluent quickly if you pu your mind to it, hope this helps. if your doing translations, don´t copy things word for word as it never works well, read the english afterwards and think to yourself does it make good sense in english, i do that alot, being too literal and someone else tells me, you would never say that in english and it´s true, ur own mind cons u into thinking it sounds great!!! Although i get better all the time as im in my final year of my spanish degree lol.

Hope this helps dude,

If you ever want help with a translation just PM me and let me check it out for you... keep up the good work and what ever level u are at, never think you suck... i know some people who cant even say hola...

Jamesito biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Jamesito: Feb 27 2008, 02:33 AM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 27 2008, 02:38 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Very interesting topic..I think in english when I type posts, watch tv or talk to people..I guess when you get to a certain level its like the mother language to you in your head.. smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Jamesito
Feb 27 2008, 02:46 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Feb 27 2008, 01:38 AM) *
Very interesting topic..I think in english when I type posts, watch tv or talk to people..I guess when you get to a certain level its like the mother language to you in your head.. smile.gif

Yeah it´s really intresting!, I think it´s really good how all you guys from other parts of the world can understand the level of english here! it´s really amazing! Globalization at work!!!! 30 years ago and none of this would be possible!
Your english will always improve if you don´t think about what your doing, improvize... take BB king for example... the guy couldent play chord sequences properly but when it came to putting his emotion in to music... his improvisations were second to none...

Ur memory is the fretboard and your brain the fingers plucking the strings, when you stop searching for a specific word in your mind, the fretboard becomes unecessory it dosent matter where u place ur fingers the music will sound great hehe

Jamesito tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 27 2008, 03:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jamesito @ Feb 26 2008, 10:46 PM) *
Yeah it´s really intresting!, I think it´s really good how all you guys from other parts of the world can understand the level of english here! it´s really amazing! Globalization at work!!!! 30 years ago and none of this would be possible!
Your english will always improve if you don´t think about what your doing, improvize... take BB king for example... the guy couldent play chord sequences properly but when it came to putting his emotion in to music... his improvisations were second to none...

Ur memory is the fretboard and your brain the fingers plucking the strings, when you stop searching for a specific word in your mind, the fretboard becomes unecessory it dosent matter where u place ur fingers the music will sound great hehe

Jamesito tongue.gif

That's true. I can say that nowadays when i'm writting and reading I think directly in english. That's something that I could get with 5 years of english clases but that I got here in GMC that we chat in english every day at every time.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Jamesito
Feb 27 2008, 03:26 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 27 2008, 02:09 AM) *
That's true. I can say that nowadays when i'm writting and reading I think directly in english. That's something that I could get with 5 years of english clases but that I got here in GMC that we chat in english every day at every time.

hahaha I learnt my spanish away from the classroom but that´s what ultimatly made me start my degree ... I had spanish in school like you dude but you know how it is 5 years and you cannot even say How are you...!!! it´s the pracitce that you put into it that makes the biggest differant... theory is great but practice makes perfect!

but I agree GMC or any internet forum is the way to go!!!! practice practice practice

Jamesito

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 27 2008, 03:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jamesito @ Feb 26 2008, 11:26 PM) *
hahaha I learnt my spanish away from the classroom but that´s what ultimatly made me start my degree ... I had spanish in school like you dude but you know how it is 5 years and you cannot even say How are you...!!! it´s the pracitce that you put into it that makes the biggest differant... theory is great but practice makes perfect!

but I agree GMC or any internet forum is the way to go!!!! practice practice practice

Jamesito

It's the same than with the guitar... practice.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Feb 27 2008, 03:33 AM
QUOTE (Jamesito @ Feb 27 2008, 03:26 AM) *

Jamesito

Yea actually I am taking Spanish 3 right now and plan on majoring on Spanish in college or maybe Mandarin Chinese. Another alternative is joining the US army since there are virtually unlimited well paying jobs that consist of just speaking a couple languages. I don't really have plans for family or whatever like most people do, so my life plans are just living all over the world. I don't see how anyone could live their whole life in one place when the world is so big. How is living in Ecuador, I'm just wondering? Obviously for someone that has lived there their whole life they couldn't really compare it, but you, having lived in Britain, might see things different since UK has pretty good standards of living.

EDIT: I don't think I suck, in fact I consider myself one of the best Spanish speakers at my school even though before this I didn't even know how to say past-tense verbs. Hardly anyone at my school takes learning seriously and expects that everyone will cater to them throughout their whole life lol.

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Feb 27 2008, 03:36 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jamesito
Feb 27 2008, 03:47 AM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Feb 27 2008, 02:33 AM) *
Yea actually I am taking Spanish 3 right now and plan on majoring on Spanish in college or maybe Mandarin Chinese. Another alternative is joining the US army since there are virtually unlimited well paying jobs that consist of just speaking a couple languages. I don't really have plans for family or whatever like most people do, so my life plans are just living all over the world. I don't see how anyone could live their whole life in one place when the world is so big. How is living in Ecuador, I'm just wondering? Obviously for someone that has lived there their whole life they couldn't really compare it, but you, having lived in Britain, might see things different since UK has pretty good standards of living.

EDIT: I don't think I suck, in fact I consider myself one of the best Spanish speakers at my school even though before this I didn't even know how to say past-tense verbs. Hardly anyone at my school takes learning seriously and expects that everyone will cater to them throughout their whole life lol.

Ecuador is good but i dident go on the tourist route i lived in the ghetto more or less... but you know what nothing will improve your spanish more than dropping urself in at the deep end if you know what i mean. Cheap in Ecaudor, the food an everything like that, nice women too!!! yeah England is very secure compared to Ecuador, the government is still very corrupt so you wanna stay out of trouble or you will get big fines... on the other hand England is one of the most expensive countries in the world so you notice price differance on everything exceot electronics, england was cheaper lol what a joke, I bought a nice american guitar in Ecaudor though, you can´t beat u.s quality...

dude stick at it, I was in your position about 4 years ago when i left high school, no one cared except me... but who´s laghing now, I can speak fluently after 4 years... if you stick to it, you wil acomplish the same thing. it´s not your level that counts it´s the way u think, if you remain focused you will never suck!!!!

Jamesito biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 27 2008, 04:00 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
There is a BIG difference between learning a language in a form that is correct grammatically and learning the same language as it is spoken and used daily. As others have said it can be a real benefit to watch TV and films and read the press in the language that you want to learn. Immersion - if possible - is even better imo - making a complete mess of a phrase and seeing the reaction of those around you really sharpens your will to learn. Also people here really appreciate that you make the effort so you get a warmer reception then speaking to them in English smile.gif .

BTW my daughter, now 8, is bilingual. She dreams in both Spanish and English. She goes to a Spanish school and is taught entirely in Spanish (more correctly in her case Castellano), apart from the English language class she does as part of her normal Andalus curriculum. She did her class address/speech to the parents and teachers as part of her school's celebration of Andalucia Day today. When we moved here 2 years ago she couldn't speak any Spanish.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Jamesito
Feb 27 2008, 04:17 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 27 2008, 03:00 PM) *
There is a BIG difference between learning a language in a form that is correct grammatically and learning the same language as it is spoken and used daily. As others have said it can be a real benefit to watch TV and films and read the press in the language that you want to learn. Immersion - if possible - is even better imo - making a complete mess of a phrase and seeing the reaction of those around you really sharpens your will to learn. Also people here really appreciate that you make the effort so you get a warmer reception then speaking to them in English smile.gif .

BTW my daughter, now 8, is bilingual. She dreams in both Spanish and English. She goes to a Spanish school and is taught entirely in Spanish (more correctly in her case Castellano), apart from the English language class she does as part of her normal Andalus curriculum. She did her class address/speech to the parents and teachers as part of her school's celebration of Andalucia Day today. When we moved here 2 years ago she couldn't speak any Spanish.

Cheers,
Tony

Yeah i agree with you tony I was going no where in school but when I did an erasmus placement in Barcelona you could see the differance, then i went to ecuador... so even better no english used virtually.
It´s amazing, Children are like sponges with languages they can learn so much faster than adults... they have no fear as we do, of making mistakes... my niece visited me in spain, she is only 6 and we took her to creche for a few hours and I asked her afterwards if she found the foreign language was ok, whe said "whats a foregin language?" they honestly do not realize at that age, they learn what they need by listning to other people...

James

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:04 PM