Speedy Lifestyle
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 22 2010, 12:17 PM
GMC Founder
Why as humans are we determined to do things so quickly? We drive, run, eat, and play guitar fast.

Check out Lale's new lesson, "Evolving Metal Riffs - Part 2", which is yet a blazing quick lesson (ok I gotta admit I like it).

Perhaps stress has something to do with it? Let me know your opinion!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Dec 22 2010, 12:37 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I always liked the concept of "doing much in short amount of time". A average human can't really hear all the notes in some uber quick lick, yet guitar players can. In this way "time magically slows down" as we are aware of couple of things happening in a blink of an eye. Same concept can be applied to many various things, for example martial arts, driving, playing computer games. With "fast thinking" comes complexity and perfection.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Dec 22 2010, 12:47 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I agree with Marek, however:
I personally like a slow lifestyle. Sure, I wanna enjoy as many things as possible life has to offer, but I am absolutely sure you can only enjoy these things when you take your time. I absolutely love fast metal riffs and string melting solos, but emotionally I am so much more touched when I hear a beautiful solo like in Comfortably Numb.
While I don't think stress has anything to do with the way you play guitar (in general) or with the music you like, I do think it has a huge impact on other aspects in your life.
Christian

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Fre
Dec 22 2010, 01:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
I think like Gitarrero.
I would love to control time and just stop everything for a while.
Sit back and do some of the things you want to without time that goes by.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 28 2010, 03:32 AM
Instructor
Well yeah, when we are under stress we usually tend to rush things, that's true. But if we force things under stress we can make mistakes. But if we need big speed, we need accuracy. As Guthrie say: "Speed is byproduct of accuracy". So, if we need to do something really fast, we need calm state of mind and great precision. Then we can achieve great speed too. Works for anything, and of course - guitar smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Dec 28 2010, 03:33 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Dec 28 2010, 05:07 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I don't think its really the need to do it fast, but to do it faster than the other guy wink.gif Men are very competitive and have to do everything better than other men. I guess evolution could have something to do with it. It kind of reminds me of an old bit of advice: If you ever come across a bear in the forest, you don't have to be faster than the bear to get away, you just have to be faster than the person you're with biggrin.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 28 2010, 10:01 PM
GMC:er
Everyone has made some great points and I think everyone here has a valid, thought out, perspective on the issue. For me personally, playing fast started as something I wanted to do after hearing players like Tony McAlpine and Paul Gilbert. At the time I just couldn't understand how it was possible to play like that. The precision, the speed, but with emotional resonance. Some folks really can't hear the feeling in something moving that fast but it's actually there; for example a classical fugue using pedal point moving crazy fast has a melody through line that takes practice to actually hear.

Also, as was mentioned "speed is a by product of accuracy" very true. If you can play with precision, speed almost comes naturally. Above all, I"ve always believed...

"Your musical expressiveness should not be limited by your technical ability"

Once you reach a point where you can play as slow or fast as you like, then what to play isn't a technical decision, it's an emotional response.

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
Dec 30 2010, 06:08 PM
Learning Roadie
Humans are a funny species in this very way. Because even little kids very clearly enjoy when they are going fast - and it is kind of pointless in a way. What makes human beings enjoy speed so much?

I also prefer a slower lifestyle since I am kind of a calm person - though I am pretty active, meaning I don't usually do the same thing for a long time, I've got to keep moving and doing stuff. However, I also understand the rock'n roll attitude towards life, maybe not in such a radical way as "Live fast, die young", but I do get it. When people live on the edge, they know they are alive. And that feeling is, I hear, irreplaceable.

About playing fast... I think fast licks are mostly from guitarists to other guitarists out there. I don't really know that many people who enjoy hearing crazy shredding who don't play the guitar themselves. However, I enjoy hearing fast licks, even though, as always with music, it has to have a point. If one's just playing fast without an idea, I don't really think it's as much music as the player fooling around (which is ok too, of course biggrin.gif).

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 30 2010, 09:30 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I really don't like the current fast life. It really speed up compared to when I was a kid. I think it has to do with technology and flow of information. Though the negative side is that I feel very stressed and time flies by like crazy (I need 48h days now).

Regarding music - I don't mind speed. I like the evolution of technique and gear so far. Actually, I'm not sure what stopped the guitarists "Back in time" to shred like crazy wink.gif))

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 09:40 AM