> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Malmsteen Made Easy, Lesson By Ben Higgins
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 3 ] ** [75.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

azureus
Jan 19 2021, 01:32 PM
GMC:er
Original lesson: Malmsteen Made Easy by Ben Higgins

Again that camera pfff .. error in the beginning sec 10 .. but I record every day something I hope it improves...greetings

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 19 2021, 03:08 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!!

Great to see you at REC! This is a good take on this lesson. You have a very good base, good timing, and interesting vibrato.

Besides that little error at 00:10, the other parts are precise, you are playing all the licks correctly.

The next step is to polish a bit articulation when playing alternate picking and sweep picking passages. The notes tend to sound shorter than they should when playing AP passages. If you focus on articulation, your overall playing will sound smoother.

When playing Sweep Picking, you need to try to make the right hand movement more like an only up and down movement, it should look as a sweep. You tend to separate each string when picking. If this doesn't make sense here, please check our Ben Higgins right hand when playing that part. There is also a weird sound happening there, check it out!

Ok mate, that's all by now, keep on rocking. It's an 8!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 20 2021, 02:23 AM
GMC:er
Well done!!! Without repeating what gabe said, which was all spot on of course. I'd like to say well done on learning this piece. It's technical and difficult. It puts together a bunch of techniques, none of which are easy to play. You play with passion and verve and it's an enjoyable listen which is very important imho. As instructors, we listen to quite a few of these and it's great when the student is clearly emotionally connected to what is being played. Also, it's a great idea to record yourself every day as it' helps to fight "RED LIGHT SYNDROME" which is freezing up as soon as the record light comes on. The more often you play in front of a camera that's recording, the better you get at playing under pressure. It's the same thing with playing live. The more you do it, the easier it gets. The first few times one might feel a bit week in the knees but that fades with repetition just like red light light syndrome.

One thing I did notice is that each pick strike may be just a bit more committed than might be needed. Just the very tip of the pick should pass the string. Going any deeper on fast passages can slow one down quite a bit. As always, I suggest a sharp pointy thick pick for this type of work as the point makes traverse and precision easier. If you are already using a pointy pick, try to pick with a bit more shallow strike if possible and see if it saves your arm some energy. You are doing a great job of muting and using the finger/thumb to articulate the pick. This is tricky and you do it well. Solid 8 from me!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 20 2021, 08:51 AM
GMC Founder
Very nice!

Your vibrato is super promising and I really dig the connection between you left and right hand. We can sense the later works - as the are very few missed notes in there.

The main thing for you to focus on here is your right hand economy of motion. You need to program your hands to make smaller motions in order to be able to optimise performance/speed later on. This is valid both for your alternate picking and especially your sweeping.

Keep up the killer work! 👌

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 1 2021, 12:20 PM
Instructor
Hey there again!

From what I hear, you'e got the draft of this lesson but you've missed the point with some important details - especialyl the ones about hand mechanics

Mid-level lessens are meant to prepare you for the harder ones. It means there are some things you need to copy exactly as lesson author did in the original video. Otherwise you will nto get 100% profit of doing this lesson.

Main problem of people not being able to play fast and clean, is a lack of proper picking and strength management. Try to imagine every pick move has it's direction becasue ofsome reason. Only when you bring some consistency in your picking and you will learn when to tense and when to relax your hands, then you will learn how to play fast and clean. It probably even more about the method than the strength made with time of practise.

You pickign is random. For example ben alwasy does make downstrokes on strong beats in the bar (in theory it does not make that much difference becasue of slow tempo, but it will in fast one). Also...Malmsteen characteristic technique is sweep picking. Ben tried to make a "stripped down" version, easier to acomplish with descent results. Instead of making slow pick "sliping" from one string to another, you've played it randomly, sometimes with alternate picking.

The moments when you play proper picking direction at these 3 string sweeps, you do not make actual sweep motion. You should press the pick hard enough so it would fall to another string. In your video, you're jumping from one string to another. This is just a regular picking. Continuing this, you will not be able to learn the real mechanics of sweep picking.

Vibrato needs some tweaking to. It really is easier to keep it in-tune when you pull the string downwards instead of pushing it up. Also...it should be the wrist rotationm, where to rotation rest is on the bottom of the neck and done with a side of your index finger.

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 4 2021, 11:10 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 7.5

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:58 PM