4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Sammetal92 - Mixing Quest
sammetal92
Aug 12 2013, 11:28 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Aug 12 2013, 09:01 AM) *
You worte something wrong or did something wrong. 85Hz cut has to be on the bass track. You should be able to edit bass at two stages

1. Midi track with the drawing (only midi options....don't touch them smile.gif)
2. Output track for the VST instrument ($Front bass) and this is were we cut the 85 Hz to leave a headroom for the drum root note)

Yes, I wrote it wrong, not on the drums, the bass! Sorry I get confused a lot laugh.gif Here you go, drums and bass:

Attached File  drumsandbass.mp3 ( 912.24K ) Number of downloads: 114

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 12 2013, 12:12 PM
Instructor
Much better smile.gif Now we need to make this bass more rocky smile.gif Amplitube 1.1 vst has a great "rock solid" bass preset. You can also Use helian plug-in. We need to scoop some midrange and add some pick attack to it.

http://freemusicsoftware.org/1792

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 12 2013, 12:49 PM
I need to use the bass amp plugin before the EQ right? or after it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 12 2013, 03:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Aug 12 2013, 11:49 AM) *
I need to use the bass amp plugin before the EQ right? or after it?

Exaclty smile.gif Before EQ. Sometimes I use some soft compression before the bass vst amp too...but let's pass for now smile.gif

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 12 2013, 05:54 PM
The Helian bass amp plugin doesn't work on my PC, I don't know why, it shows its getting input but there's zero output. I tried tweaking the settings and resetting everything, but nothing worked. I have the Amplitube 3 VST and it has a preset named "Solid State Bass Preamp" so I used that one on the bass:

Attached File  drumsandbass.mp3 ( 912.24K ) Number of downloads: 104

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Aug 12 2013, 05:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 15 2013, 12:32 PM
Just for a fun experiment, the things we did, I just put them together with the song, no bass or rhythm at the bridge and solo section yet though tongue.gif Here:

https://soundcloud.com/sam-ryan-stormrage/retake-rock-project

And I think we still have to:

- Mix the guitars with the bass and drums
- Mix the clean guitars with the other instruments
- Master the track

Am I right? tongue.gif

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Aug 15 2013, 12:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 15 2013, 01:11 PM
Instructor
Yes We need to add some more but now it's much more clean than the first version You did smile.gif I hope You hear the difference smile.gif Also all instruments are much easier to hear what they exactly play smile.gif

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 15 2013, 01:36 PM
I hear a whole lot of difference actually, huge improvements, all thanks to you biggrin.gif so what's the next step? tongue.gif Sorry I'm getting very excited cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 15 2013, 02:23 PM
Instructor
Those are very basic mechanism and to make it 100% is on Your side...I mean it's hard to do this by net but when You know how to start You'll be able to make Your next mixes pretty nice. To be honest it's only 1/3 of the job when You have drums mixed. Otherwise we would have twice as much work smile.gif As You see 90% of success is to fina mathced tones of instruments. With the drums too. You can do many things with plug-ins but usually after hours of work it's stil;l not what You wanted if the source audio was not sounding the way You like smile.gif Lets go to the clean guitar. Try to describe all You recording process for those as detailed as possible

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 15 2013, 03:24 PM
Well, the clean guitars I didn't record in stereo yet, should they be recorded as separate takes like I recorded the distorted guitars?

And here is my effects chain for the two clean guitar tracks. The NRR-1 Preamp' clean channel and TPA-1 poweramp both from Ignite amps. My old audiocation compressor and finally the epicVerb plugin for slight reverb:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 15 2013, 06:25 PM
Instructor
Little tip. Use Reverb as a fx track - one reverb for all instruments. It's not natural to use different room simulations for different instruments. Many sound engeneer (most?) Use reverbs and delays as a "send fx". It also help to keep low memory usage beacause there is only one plug-in launched on the FX Track and You just mix it with revebr by sending guitars etc to the fx track. Ofcourse You set the wet/dry proportion to 100% wet on this FX track.

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 15 2013, 06:54 PM
I only have reverb on the clean guitars, I don't have reverb on any other instrument

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 15 2013, 10:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Aug 15 2013, 05:54 PM) *
I only have reverb on the clean guitars, I don't have reverb on any other instrument

One of the very important mixing terms is "stage". We need to make our listener forget that he's listening to a sterile recorded tracks. This is why we use reverb in different proportion for different instruments. We can also use long, short, warm, bright reverb settings but usually it's one room size. Bass guitar and bass drums are very sensitive ones to add the verb. At the beginning it's better to just don't do this. But...any other track You'll add to the session could need some reverb. Thisi is why we try to make those as an FX tracks., common for all the instruments. Try to make it in reaper. Usually guitar track will have some "send bus"

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:19 PM