2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Wiki: Presonus Studiolive Review
Staffy
Nov 21 2009, 10:47 AM
Learning Tone Master
Since Im so excited of that my lastest "toy" finally arrived at my local music store after months of waiting, I could'nt hardly resist to write a review of this incredible machine... As You might understand Im totally blown away by the technology vs. prize on this gear, and I'm maybe so subjective in the review - but on the other hand: It really has no competition in this prize range.....

Read more in the WIKI.

//Staffay

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 21 2009, 05:11 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Excellent Staffay, the info in there is so technical & deep, we are lucky to have you in the team! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 21 2009, 05:17 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Looks awesome tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 21 2009, 08:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thx Guy's!!! :-)

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 22 2009, 02:05 PM
Instructor
Great piece Staffy, it is really a great all-in-one solution! It is more focused towards studio work, but for live use it can find it's purpose as well.
By checking the picture of the "fat channel" strip, I believe that they could implement manual Q adjustment instead of a "High Q" toggle switch on the EQs, this would really increase the usability of the EQ.
But, considering the price and the amount of technologies integrated, I would have to agree, that it is really an awesome choice. Congratulations, and I wish you many happy moments with this device! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 22 2009, 02:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 22 2009, 02:05 PM) *
Great piece Staffy, it is really a great all-in-one solution! It is more focused towards studio work, but for live use it can find it's purpose as well.
By checking the picture of the "fat channel" strip, I believe that they could implement manual Q adjustment instead of a "High Q" toggle switch on the EQs, this would really increase the usability of the EQ.
But, considering the price and the amount of technologies integrated, I would have to agree, that it is really an awesome choice. Congratulations, and I wish you many happy moments with this device! smile.gif

Hey, Ivan! The mid frequencies has variable Q-values, the bass and treble is shelving.....
And I dont think its pure for studios, it will be an excellent desk for live usage in a small band, since You can have up to six monitors (8 with the sub-channels) and there is digital effects on-board). The solo-function can also be switched so that You can have both SIP (in studio) and normal solo (for live). I don't really miss something here for live-usage.... smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 23 2009, 01:48 AM
Instructor
wou! I think that it's time to sell my mackie console! laugh.gif

Do you have an idea of the quality of the conversors and pre compared to newer Motu interfaces?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Boson
Nov 23 2009, 08:03 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
That looks a serious piece of kit Staffy.

Have fun.

--------------------
"Better to live one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep"

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 23 2009, 09:18 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 23 2009, 01:48 AM) *
wou! I think that it's time to sell my mackie console! laugh.gif

Do you have an idea of the quality of the conversors and pre compared to newer Motu interfaces?

Hmmm, that was a tough one.... I will say that in my comparison with my TC-Electronics card (konnekt-48) which is regarded as top-notch in this price-ranges, it is as good as that one. (I made an A/B test with the same sound-source) You have even greater flexibility thanks to the fat-channels since they are sounding really good. I dont think that You will experience any bigger difference in any direction if You mean the MO-TU cards in the same price-range of course. The converters are good, and the pre-amps sounds as warm as a digital board can be.... I even believe that the manufactorers actually uses the same circuits (like in most consumer stuff) and then put their own brand on it. A magazine here in Sweden took 7 video cameras and de-mounted and 6 of them was made with parts from Matsushita and nearly identical - except that Sony of course was some 2-300 € more expensive. laugh.gif
Nah, jokes aside, I've been using this desk for about a week now, and I must say that I just love it for it's ease of use, sound-quality and the outstanding features for this amount of money. The next step would really be some real professional gear - but then we are talking bout 10.000 € and upwards....

//Staffay

QUOTE (Boson @ Nov 23 2009, 08:03 AM) *
That looks a serious piece of kit Staffy.

Have fun.

Thx. Yeah, I'm having a ball !!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Nov 23 2009, 10:22 AM
GMC:er
Your wiki entry is great.

I used this board recently live and really like it. Great audio quality and easy to use. Congratulations

Just as an information for people with a really small budget

the Allen&Heath Zed-14 is a 10 channel board with a (44 kHz 16 bit) USB interface that costs about 350 Euros. The quality of the mixer and the mic pres is really astonishing for that price

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 23 2009, 10:42 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (ItsMe @ Nov 23 2009, 10:22 AM) *
Your wiki entry is great.

I used this board recently live and really like it. Great audio quality and easy to use. Congratulations

Just as an information for people with a really small budget

the Allen&Heath Zed-14 is a 10 channel board with a (44 kHz 16 bit) USB interface that costs about 350 Euros. The quality of the mixer and the mic pres is really astonishing for that price

Yeah, the A & H consoles is really great for the money, they have a ZED console with audio-card as well, but that will be a hybrid desk since the mixer is analog with a digital card, I was looking in to that before I bought this one, but I preferred to have it all digital instead....

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 23 2009, 04:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Nov 23 2009, 05:18 AM) *
Hmmm, that was a tough one.... I will say that in my comparison with my TC-Electronics card (konnekt-48) which is regarded as top-notch in this price-ranges, it is as good as that one. (I made an A/B test with the same sound-source) You have even greater flexibility thanks to the fat-channels since they are sounding really good. I dont think that You will experience any bigger difference in any direction if You mean the MO-TU cards in the same price-range of course. The converters are good, and the pre-amps sounds as warm as a digital board can be.... I even believe that the manufactorers actually uses the same circuits (like in most consumer stuff) and then put their own brand on it. A magazine here in Sweden took 7 video cameras and de-mounted and 6 of them was made with parts from Matsushita and nearly identical - except that Sony of course was some 2-300 € more expensive. laugh.gif
Nah, jokes aside, I've been using this desk for about a week now, and I must say that I just love it for it's ease of use, sound-quality and the outstanding features for this amount of money. The next step would really be some real professional gear - but then we are talking bout 10.000 € and upwards....

//Staffay

Thank you Staffay for the detailed information! I've been reading the specifications and it says that the preamps are class A that means that are top quality if I'm not wrong... This item has too much awesome features and I think that the price is near from my macki vlz24:4 that is only a live mixer.
and yes, I was refering to MoTu sound cards like the 828 models...

Gabriel.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 23 2009, 06:45 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 23 2009, 04:40 PM) *
This item has too much awesome features and I think that the price is near from my macki vlz24:4 that is only a live mixer.

That is exactly what makes this desk so attractive. smile.gif It's no compromises in the terms of quality or features, its just simply a great piece of gear imo.

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 23 2009, 07:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Nov 22 2009, 02:31 PM) *
Hey, Ivan! The mid frequencies has variable Q-values, the bass and treble is shelving.....
And I dont think its pure for studios, it will be an excellent desk for live usage in a small band, since You can have up to six monitors (8 with the sub-channels) and there is digital effects on-board). The solo-function can also be switched so that You can have both SIP (in studio) and normal solo (for live). I don't really miss something here for live-usage.... smile.gif

Thanks a lot for great info Staffy, I will have to agree with an expert here

From the picture it seems that there is "HiQ" toggle switch, so I presumed it has only two Q values, if you know what I mean, but if there is option for manually adjusting Q, this is definitely a great feature - one that is not found on analog mixers that cost a lot more (and have twice as much channels - a bit of a paradox).
Yes, this baby can definitely pull out a classic rock band line up with 16 channels, and having the preset-able fat channel strip available for all channels is definitely icing on the cake for the money here! You made a very wise choice my friend! smile.gif
I was looking for some good analog mixers that could be possibly compared to this device (like Allen & Heath GL2400-24, Soundcraft LX7ii, or even Mackie Onyx 32.4 although it is a bit more expensive). Each side has it's pros & cons, analog offers robustness, but digital is far more versatile.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 23 2009, 09:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 23 2009, 07:40 PM) *
Thanks a lot for great info Staffy, I will have to agree with an expert here

From the picture it seems that there is "HiQ" toggle switch, so I presumed it has only two Q values, if you know what I mean, but if there is option for manually adjusting Q, this is definitely a great feature - one that is not found on analog mixers that cost a lot more (and have twice as much channels - a bit of a paradox).
Yes, this baby can definitely pull out a classic rock band line up with 16 channels, and having the preset-able fat channel strip available for all channels is definitely icing on the cake for the money here! You made a very wise choice my friend! smile.gif
I was looking for some good analog mixers that could be possibly compared to this device (like Allen & Heath GL2400-24, Soundcraft LX7ii, or even Mackie Onyx 32.4 although it is a bit more expensive). Each side has it's pros & cons, analog offers robustness, but digital is far more versatile.

Yeah, I agree bout analog desks - on the other hand they seems to be more sensitive if You use them very much, they need to be served well by a service company in order to work as expected. You've right bout the two Q-factors, one is 0.55 db wide and the other 2.0 i think.... but sweepable features may come in further firmware updates... (they added a master 15-band EQ in the latest update smile.gif ) What is really nice, is that the whole mixer can be stored as a "scene", eg. all sewtting/controls can be recalled by a push of just one button.... very nifty!

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 24 2009, 12:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Nov 23 2009, 09:20 PM) *
Yeah, I agree bout analog desks - on the other hand they seems to be more sensitive if You use them very much, they need to be served well by a service company in order to work as expected. You've right bout the two Q-factors, one is 0.55 db wide and the other 2.0 i think.... but sweepable features may come in further firmware updates... (they added a master 15-band EQ in the latest update smile.gif ) What is really nice, is that the whole mixer can be stored as a "scene", eg. all sewtting/controls can be recalled by a push of just one button.... very nifty!

//Staffay

Storing a scene and recalling it later is alone worth getting the product, not to mention channel strip, effects and possible updates. Great device. Not comparable with digital mixers - it has no competition in the price range! smile.gif
Awesome! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 24 2009, 10:31 AM
GMC Founder
What a cool wiki article... I had to read it from my phone! Thanks Staffy! biggrin.gif

This is a kind of gear which doesn't get reviewed a whole lot here - so it's very interesting to get a gmc:ers perspective on it.

However personlly I am currently looking at a saffire pro dsp (here) for my next sound interface upgrade - it seems suitable for my needs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 24 2009, 11:39 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 24 2009, 10:31 AM) *
What a cool wiki article... I had to read it from my phone! Thanks Staffy! biggrin.gif

This is a kind of gear which doesn't get reviewed a whole lot here - so it's very interesting to get a gmc:ers perspective on it.

However personlly I am currently looking at a saffire pro dsp (here) for my next sound interface upgrade - it seems suitable for my needs.

Thx. Kris! smile.gif Looks like a very good device to me. I have been thinking in terms of buying two really good AD-converters and some tube pre-amps for just getting a high-quality signal into the system. I have a Behringer tube pre-amp that works, but a boutique one would be better. It really sweetens up the sound. Then its just to use Your normal soundcard to do pre-mixing etc. and You can always take the core tracks to a professional studio afterwards.... But at the moment my wallet doesn't like the idea, since this kind of stuff is really expensive.... sad.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Nov 24 2009, 12:27 PM
GMC:er
I tested many tube pres and tube based channel strips. Sonically competitive and really cheap is the Presonus TubePre (about 90 euros). It can compete with some 400 euro products form an audio point of view (and easily beats the Behringer). However the features on this one are rather abmissal. The VU meter is absolutly awefull and other than that it only offers a pad and low shelf filter. Still, used right this thing warms up and also gives you some classic tube style compression. Great gear for the price if the only thing you want to do is to sonically enhance your input signal. Love it.

http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=16

This post has been edited by ItsMe: Nov 24 2009, 12:41 PM

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 24 2009, 12:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (ItsMe @ Nov 24 2009, 12:27 PM) *
I tested many tube pres and tube based channel strips. Sonically competitive and really cheap is the Presonus TubePre (about 90 euros). It can compete with some 400 euro products form an audio point of view (and easily beats the Behringer). However the features on this one are rather abmissal. The VU meter is absolutly awefull and other than that it only offers a pad and low shelf filter. Still, used right this thing warms up and also gives you some classic tube style compression. Great gear for the price if the only thing you want to do is to sonically enhance your input signal. Love it.

Thanx for the tip!!! smile.gif I'll guess I have to be a member of the Presonus fan-club now.....

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:24 PM