My Entry In The Daniele Gottardo Guitar Competition, Guitar Competition Entry
noztnac
Jun 15 2011, 06:29 AM
GMC:er
I have been playing gypsy jazz for several years but recently picked up the electric to enter a guitar competition. I'm still getting used to the electric, different string tensions, etc.

Anyway, I composed a little solo and I did my best. Any constructive criticism is welcome and much appreciated. Thanks.

- Cantzon Foster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fg_y_8XKS0...ature=autoshare

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Daniel Realpe
Jun 15 2011, 11:24 AM
Instructor
Hi! Nice take. I like the choice of notes, I think you have great musical sensibility!

Something that could help you deliver it better is, first of all, a little more gain so the notes have a bit more sustain, and more importantly make sure your intonation is perfect. Tune the guitar really well, change strings constantly and of course, use your ears to keep the fingers on the right spot of the fret.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 15 2011, 12:23 PM
Instructor
Wow, Daniel is right about your melodic abilities.. you've got a brilliant ear for creating musical phrases smile.gif

If you combined that with an awesome vibrato as well you'd be unstoppable.. I would spend some time working on vibrato to get it more even and strong.. you want to be able to make your fingers do what you want them to do, not be dictated by their limitations so some vibrato work must be on your list of things to do - very cool performance ! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 15 2011, 02:23 PM
Instructor
Indeed! Cool melodic choices wink.gif but as Ben said, vibrato should come up and make the difference from cool to awesome biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
noztnac
Jun 15 2011, 06:13 PM
GMC:er
All of you guys are exactly right. I think my intonation is off and I'm going to have that adjusted. And I need to work hard on my vibrato because it does not sound good at all.

I played electric a long time ago and my vibrato was better but then I switched to playing gypsy jazz and it's just different. i switched back to electric recently and it's going to take some work to get the vibrato happening.

Anyway, I love practicing and now I know what I need to be working on.

Thanks guys for the input.

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Jun 15 2011, 08:18 PM
Instructor
It's a great take & like you said some more work your left hand vibrato will improve the overall performance.

Your melodic choices are very nice... like lot of gypsy jazz player you are using note from the chords/arpeggios to build your lines : so you've got a lot of room to improve your phrasing by adding notes from the scales.

PS : Nice Suhr !
wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:05 PM