Best $40 Of My Life!, BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer
Chris S.
Jul 8 2015, 01:55 AM
Learning Roadie
Saw a semi-vintage (guess that depends on how old the person is who calls it vintage tongue.gif ) BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer for $40 and WOW what a great buy biggrin.gif

It was 10 minutes until close so I figured why not for $40, I can always bring it back if I don't like it:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/bbe-462-quick-tone-test

I played the first part without it and then the second part with it. It's a pretty bare bones interface but it does the job. I like it because I can use my EQ and then follow up with this to give even more life to it.

So far I have only spent about 30 mins with it so I haven't even really figured out the best way to dial it in but the sound clip I posted shows its potential.

Overall - I didn't waste $40 (FOR ONCE!!!)

biggrin.gif

EDIT: As usual it sounded awesome with my headphones but crummy through laptop speakers - so you might not be hearing it's full potential dry.gif

Plus I didn't realize the mix on my FX loop was set to split 50/50 from the original signal with the fx loop signal... such a noob at this

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Jul 8 2015, 02:08 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 8 2015, 07:25 AM
GMC Founder
Cool, there's a big difference. From that clip it seems low end and low mid range has been cleaned up.

These kinds of tools don't provide a jaw dropping effect, it's rather professional tone shaping tool. Generally speaking, effects that make a big difference to the sound, are usually to aggressive for that final tweaking which makes all the difference.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 8 2015, 02:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
I could hear a big difference. I'm sure it'll sound great in a mix too smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 8 2015, 07:49 PM
GMC:er
Sonic maximisers have been used in studios for a very long time now. In studio usage these are a bit tricky cause they are so easily over used, meaning while tweaking it might sound great but after a coffee break one might notice its too much smile.gif

For guitar you probably noticed there is a stompbox version of it and I believe it shouldn't be very different from what you have considering tone.

Its works nice as an "always on" fashion; set the amp eq first as best as possible and then use it for detailed adjustments, at least this is how I used it while getting familiar. It sure can make extreme differences when needed but this may not always work for every mix.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jul 8 2015, 07:50 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 8 2015, 08:06 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 8 2015, 06:49 PM) *
Sonic maximisers have been used in studios for a very long time now. In studio usage these are a bit tricky cause they are so easily over used, meaning while tweaking it might sound great but after a coffee break one might notice its too much smile.gif

For guitar you probably noticed there is a stompbox version of it and I believe it shouldn't be very different from what you have considering tone.

Its works nice as an "always on" fashion; set the amp eq first as best as possible and then use it for detailed adjustments, at least this is how I used it while getting familiar. It sure can make extreme differences when needed but this may not always work for every mix.

UPDATE:

So I returned the 462 and got a deal on the newer version 882i with true bypass - still trying to get used it.

Also picked up a used tube screamer and AKAI compact pad controller biggrin.gif

My growing studio - gonna need a bigger desk!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 8 2015, 09:04 PM
eheh slowly turning into a real studio indeed biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jul 8 2015, 10:52 PM
Very cool, never seen a real one before. I have a plugin version of it and use it over my entire mixes adds that 'pro sparkle'; but like Mertay said very easy to overuse and fatigue your ears.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 8 2015, 11:17 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Jul 8 2015, 09:52 PM) *
Very cool, never seen a real one before. I have a plugin version of it and use it over my entire mixes adds that 'pro sparkle'; but like Mertay said very easy to overuse and fatigue your ears.

Yeah I just tweaked a patch on my 11 rack - spent 30 minutes on it and was like "oh yeah! Eric Johnson would envy this tone!" ...

Came back from a bathroom break and was like "did I really think this sounded good?!" tongue.gif

Funny how that works

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 9 2015, 12:03 AM
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Jul 8 2015, 10:17 PM) *
Yeah I just tweaked a patch on my 11 rack - spent 30 minutes on it and was like "oh yeah! Eric Johnson would envy this tone!" ...

Came back from a bathroom break and was like "did I really think this sounded good?!" tongue.gif

Funny how that works

No worrys you'll get used to it smile.gif as said, just remember to keep it subtle then all will be fine smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 9 2015, 12:45 AM
Learning Roadie
Quick question although slightly off topic:

So in my picture you can see I have a second monitor hooked up to my laptop for an extended screen - however the monitor is on the left and my laptop is on the right.

To get to the monitor I have to scroll my mouse to the right of my laptop screen which is getting to be pretty confusing. I can't swap positions - is there anyway to change it so that I can scroll to the left of my laptop and my cursor will jump to the left monitor?

I know that I can set the monitor as my "Main" and when I scroll the cursor over to the right it will jump to the laptop but I would prefer to keep my laptop set as the "Main" screen.

Does this make sense? Is it possible?

Windows 7 - 64 bit if that helps.

Thanks biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 9 2015, 09:33 AM
Sure smile.gif Go in to your display settings and just set which once
should be left and which one should be right.

Enjoy your BBE! They can be a grea way to add some sparkle and boom to your guitar tone especially at bedroom levels. You can get nice crisp high tones without turning your amp up all the way which is nice smile.gif WHen you turn if off, it can sound like someone put a blanket over your speakers!! Some folks really diss the bbe units but I personally have one and think they can do great things when used right smile.gif As a matter of fact, my rocktron velocity power amp has something similar built right in to as do many nice power amps!

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 9 2015, 11:31 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 9 2015, 08:33 AM) *
Sure smile.gif Go in to your display settings and just set which once
should be left and which one should be right.

Enjoy your BBE! They can be a grea way to add some sparkle and boom to your guitar tone especially at bedroom levels. You can get nice crisp high tones without turning your amp up all the way which is nice smile.gif WHen you turn if off, it can sound like someone put a blanket over your speakers!! Some folks really diss the bbe units but I personally have one and think they can do great things when used right smile.gif As a matter of fact, my rocktron velocity power amp has something similar built right in to as do many nice power amps!

Yeah I read a lot of "this thing is lame sauce, just get an EQ pedal it's the same thing" reviews - but it's not an EQ pedal.

I set the graphic EQ on my 11 Rack and run the BBE through te fx loop at the very end of the signal change and it's quite an improvement biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 9 2015, 12:01 PM
I"m with ya! There is a LOT of hate on the BBE but I suspect it's folks who just didn't use it properly. It can really give nice boom and sparkle when used properly smile.gif I"m using a tube preamp in the fx loop of my 11 rack and it gives it punch that NONE of the built in fx can match.

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Jul 9 2015, 06:31 AM) *
Yeah I read a lot of "this thing is lame sauce, just get an EQ pedal it's the same thing" reviews - but it's not an EQ pedal.

I set the graphic EQ on my 11 Rack and run the BBE through te fx loop at the very end of the signal change and it's quite an improvement biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 9 2015, 03:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
I gotta check this BBE Sonic plugin out! I wonder if there is a demo.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 9 2015, 04:30 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 9 2015, 11:01 AM) *
I"m with ya! There is a LOT of hate on the BBE but I suspect it's folks who just didn't use it properly. It can really give nice boom and sparkle when used properly smile.gif I"m using a tube preamp in the fx loop of my 11 rack and it gives it punch that NONE of the built in fx can match.

What tube pre amp are you using?

I've been wanting to add some tube-based gear to use with my 11 Rack but the only thing I've come across is a Laney Ironheart Studio - which rocks but I don't have $500+

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 11 2015, 01:15 AM
I"m using a custom/hand built Myasnikov preamp that's a Soldano super lead clone. They are made by a guy in Russia using real tubes and such smile.gif It sounds AMAZING is the FX LOOP of the 11 rack. He has them on sale for $370! Here is a video of mine (the prototype) with my 11 rack where I have the amp block turned off and use the myasnikov in the fx loop.

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Jul 9 2015, 11:30 AM) *
What tube pre amp are you using?

I've been wanting to add some tube-based gear to use with my 11 Rack but the only thing I've come across is a Laney Ironheart Studio - which rocks but I don't have $500+

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 11 2015, 01:17 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 11 2015, 12:15 AM) *
I"m using a custom/hand built Myasnikov preamp that's a Soldano super lead clone. They are made by a guy in Russia using real tubes and such smile.gif It sounds AMAZING is the FX LOOP of the 11 rack. He has them on sale for $370! Here is a video of mine (the prototype) with my 11 rack where I have the amp block turned off and use the myasnikov in the fx loop.

I should have know that - silly me tongue.gif

Glad you're digging it - just a random question though: why through the fx loop - would running the output from the preamp be too hot to run through the front input of the eleven rack?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 11 2015, 01:24 AM
Of course there's demo smile.gif Here is the link!

http://nomadfactory.com/cgi-bin/_dlpro/dow...ile=bbeSWOPpc64

here is the link to download all the demos from the company that deals with bbe and wads of others. Mac and Pc smile.gif

http://nomadfactory.com/downloads/index.html

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 9 2015, 10:22 AM) *
I gotta check this BBE Sonic plugin out! I wonder if there is a demo.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 15 2015, 12:38 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I like what BBE Sonic Maximiser does to tone, never had a chance to fiddle with the hardware unit though (only plugin). We used the plugin for spicing up the tone of band rehearsals where we were playing all instruments through the mixer and going into computer for processing and then back to headphones for each band member. The plugin was light and worked without latency and it helped us get instant "produced" tone for the master mix in the headphones while playing. I do see a lot of potential of this effect being overused and creating distortion. If you can hear a noticable difference, you are probably using too much of it.

BTW - if I remember correctly, in display properties you should be able to drag the monitors to left and right to positoin them to match how physically they are positioned so that you can move your mouse to the left in order to move to the left monitor on your desk.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:06 AM