Play And Rest Collaboration, UPLOAD THREAD
Pedja Simovic
Jul 10 2009, 02:39 AM
Instructor
Here you can upload your takes.

For more details regarding this collaboration, check this LINK

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
skennington
Jul 10 2009, 03:00 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Here you go Pedja, first collab of yours I have entered. smile.gif I tried to focus on 1 bar, rest, 1 bar, rest...
I hope this is what you are looking for and I enjoyed the backing very much. smile.gif Also, I tried to create a tone similar to a Sax so I hope you like that is well. I hope the delay into the "rest bar" doesn't bother you too much.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Play_Rest_skenny_WB.mp3 ( 1.48MB ) Number of downloads: 203
Attached File  Play_Rest_skenny_NB.mp3 ( 1.48MB ) Number of downloads: 155

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 10 2009, 03:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (skennington @ Jul 10 2009, 04:00 AM) *
Here you go Pedja, first collab of yours I have entered. smile.gif I tried to focus on 1 bar, rest, 1 bar, rest...
I hope this is what you are looking for and I enjoyed the backing very much. smile.gif Also, I tried to create a tone similar to a Sax so I hope you like that is well. I hope the delay into the "rest bar" doesn't bother you too much.

Steve first of all thank you for entering my collab for the first time smile.gif
This is excellent first take. It could be final take as well but lets talk some things about it first...

Like you mentioned sound was great and your delay filled in the gaps even when you didn't play. Your melodic approach was very nice. I enjoyed the melody especially in the first part of solo (first 8 bars). There you really developed and extended from basic starting idea. Great job there.
As you said, there was one delay bar which turned things around a bit. I would like you to do more takes and just focus on playing when you need to play. The reason why I am saying this is discipline. One of the main purposes of this collab is to show you how awkward it can actually feel to play one rest one or play two rest two. When you do this for a long time, this becomes automatic and it basically is part of you. Spacing will then be natural and so will all the melodies start to flow simply because you will force(in a way) yourself to listen back to things you play in that one bar. Hope that makes sense?

My recommendation, record as many as you feel like and upload them here - I don't mind listening to them all. In fact, record some Play two Rest two approaches. If you want, start Play one Rest one but with REST in the 1st bar ! That will turn things around a bit . You can do that with Play two Rest two as well (start to play in bar 2 and 3 then rest in bar 4 and 5 etc).

Overall I am very pleased Steve, for first take its very good work. I look forward hearing more from you!

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 10 2009, 03:51 AM
Thank you very much Pedja and I'm glad you liked the take. I will most certainly upload more takes with the different "feel" that you mentioned. I think this will be quite beneficial for me not to mention a lot of fun. smile.gif I will work on it over the weekend and give you a few more things to critique. Thanks again for this "classroom atmosphere" man! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 10 2009, 12:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (skennington @ Jul 10 2009, 04:51 AM) *
Thank you very much Pedja and I'm glad you liked the take. I will most certainly upload more takes with the different "feel" that you mentioned. I think this will be quite beneficial for me not to mention a lot of fun. smile.gif I will work on it over the weekend and give you a few more things to critique. Thanks again for this "classroom atmosphere" man! smile.gif

You welcome Steve smile.gif
I look forward to more recordings from you !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jul 10 2009, 02:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
Here´s my take. I hope you like it. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Tolek: Jul 10 2009, 02:38 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  tolek_wB.mp3 ( 615.73K ) Number of downloads: 149
Attached File  tolek_woB.mp3 ( 615.73K ) Number of downloads: 142

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 10 2009, 03:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tolek @ Jul 10 2009, 03:31 PM) *
Here´s my take. I hope you like it. smile.gif

Tolek you should do another take. You were supposed to pick one Play and Rest pattern and do it all the way trough the solo.
You can pick

Play one Rest one
Play two Rest two
You can also do
Rest one Play one
Rest two Play two

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jul 10 2009, 03:04 PM
Learning Rock Star
So, you don´t accept mixing both possibilites? And no whole note instead for the rest? sad.gif
Would sound boring, imo. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 10 2009, 03:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tolek @ Jul 10 2009, 04:04 PM) *
So, you don´t accept mixing both possibilites? And no whole note instead for the rest? sad.gif
Would sound boring, imo. biggrin.gif

You can mix possibilities once you complete these ones. The concept is to be disciplined and to rest on purpose so you can develop your ear to listen back things you play. That means no whole notes carrying over and playing into the next bar smile.gif
Check out what Skennington did, it was great except he turned around pattern at one point when he overplayed but first 8 bars were right!

Edit : Typo

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Jul 10 2009, 03:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jul 10 2009, 03:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jul 10 2009, 04:07 PM) *
You can mix possibilities once you complete these ones. The concept is to be disciplined and to rest on purpose so you can develop your ear to listen back things you play. That means no whole notes carrying over and playing into the next bar smile.gif
Check out what Skennington did, it was great except he turned around pattern at one point when he overplayed but first 8 bars were right!

Edit : Typo

Ok... I´ll do another take, but now I have no time anymore. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 10 2009, 03:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tolek @ Jul 10 2009, 04:10 PM) *
Ok... I´ll do another take, but now I have no time anymore. tongue.gif

Cool smile.gif
Take your time, you have until 24th to submit final take wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oxac
Jul 10 2009, 03:11 PM
GMC:er
Tolek, I hope you don't mind a little review from me?

The third note played (00:06) seems to be a little off beat, it's nothing major though.

There is a difference that guitar players often miss in long notes and breaks. I see a lot of long notes but not the breaks Pedja asked for.

Now for the good stuff smile.gif

Awesome tone, I really like that slow vibrato of yours. The backing really asks for the syncopated start that you did (I have something similar in my take) and you did it in a nice way. I like the blues lick at the end, fits nicely. Note choice was great.

Nice to listen to, but maybe all you've got to do is to cut some of the long notes?

-EDIT- Seems like someone writes replies way too slowly (thinking about himself).

This post has been edited by Oxac: Jul 10 2009, 03:12 PM

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jul 10 2009, 03:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Oxac @ Jul 10 2009, 04:11 PM) *
Tolek, I hope you don't mind a little review from me?

The third note played (00:06) seems to be a little off beat, it's nothing major though.

There is a difference that guitar players often miss in long notes and breaks. I see a lot of long notes but not the breaks Pedja asked for.

Now for the good stuff smile.gif

Awesome tone, I really like that slow vibrato of yours. The backing really asks for the syncopated start that you did (I have something similar in my take) and you did it in a nice way. I like the blues lick at the end, fits nicely. Note choice was great.

Nice to listen to, but maybe all you've got to do is to cut some of the long notes?

-EDIT- Seems like someone writes replies way too slowly (thinking about himself).

Just what Pedja said. laugh.gif Thanks anyway. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Oxac
Jul 10 2009, 03:15 PM
QUOTE (Tolek @ Jul 10 2009, 04:13 PM) *
Just what Pedja said. laugh.gif Thanks anyway. smile.gif

Yes I know, but I started to write it before I knew that pedja was replying tongue.gif

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 11 2009, 03:01 AM
2nd upload Pedja. Used the same tone and a similar melody but took your advice and went for 2 bar rest..2 bar rest... I also started on the 2nd bar of the backing as well.. smile.gif I think I got it fairly close.. unsure.gif laugh.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Play_Rest_skenny_2WB.mp3 ( 1.48MB ) Number of downloads: 172
Attached File  Play_Rest_skenny_2NB.mp3 ( 1.48MB ) Number of downloads: 153

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 11 2009, 10:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (skennington @ Jul 11 2009, 04:01 AM) *
2nd upload Pedja. Used the same tone and a similar melody but took your advice and went for 2 bar rest..2 bar rest... I also started on the 2nd bar of the backing as well.. smile.gif I think I got it fairly close.. unsure.gif laugh.gif

Excellent Steve!
You did everything I asked for. Now its just matter of overdoing this method until it becomes natural to your ear. Well done man.

Now you can practice Play TWO Rest TWO but starting on the 2nd bar !
That way you get 1st bar silence, bars 2 and 3 you play, bars 4 and 5 silence etc
Excellent work Steve!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 12 2009, 07:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
So....yeah. It's just a bunch of different licks that have no connection.

EDIT: I geuss this is a bit more melodic and a mix between play two/play one... (two last in the upload below)

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jul 12 2009, 07:43 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Play_rest_collaboration_with_back.mp3 ( 589K ) Number of downloads: 144
Attached File  Play_rest_collaboration_without_back.mp3 ( 589.41K ) Number of downloads: 137
Attached File  Play_rest_collaboration__mel_without_back.mp3 ( 620.03K ) Number of downloads: 134
Attached File  Play_rest_collaboration__mel_with_back.mp3 ( 619.62K ) Number of downloads: 140

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 12 2009, 10:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 12 2009, 08:28 PM) *
So....yeah. It's just a bunch of different licks that have no connection.

EDIT: I geuss this is a bit more melodic and a mix between play two/play one... (two last in the upload below)

You mixed up patterns to keep it more interesting. I would prefer just one, or record play one rest one then play two rest two and pick one that you like more! This is kinda cheating wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 13 2009, 12:12 AM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jul 11 2009, 05:17 AM) *
Excellent Steve!
You did everything I asked for. Now its just matter of overdoing this method until it becomes natural to your ear. Well done man.

Now you can practice Play TWO Rest TWO but starting on the 2nd bar !
That way you get 1st bar silence, bars 2 and 3 you play, bars 4 and 5 silence etc
Excellent work Steve!

Thank you Pedja, I will definitely incorporate this style of "thinking" while playing and keep practicing over this backing. I may even through another at you. Use which ever you like man. Thanks again. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jul 13 2009, 04:10 AM
heres my go at it...

Attached File(s)
Attached File  play_and_rest_back.mp3 ( 610.66K ) Number of downloads: 140
Attached File  play_and_rest_no_back.mp3 ( 606.56K ) Number of downloads: 133

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:21 AM