> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

19 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Victor's Thread, for Gab's Army
Victor Simion
Jun 14 2021, 07:49 PM
Learning Roadie
Ok, so how should I start?

Should I try to compose something similar using the concepts from the lessons?

What steps should I use?

For example

1. Choose a scale
2. Create a chord progression that scale
3. Add melody tot that chord progression
4. Harmonize the melody.

Then we can go back and work to the songs I composed?
The songs that I composed the approach is a little different, I mean first I create a melody then I need to come with the rest of the instruments. Do you think it's harder like that?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 14 2021, 07:59 PM
Instructor
At first, I recommend to do the opposite in order to start training your ear and get used to the most common used combinations in the music that you like.

Before making music, let's analyze what's happening in the music that you like.

You can start doing this:

- Choose 3 GMC lessons in the style that you'd like to compose a mini-tune.
- Write down (and here) the chord progressions, scale used, and any other thing that you find interesting.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jun 14 2021, 09:18 PM
Learning Roadie
I think I will go with these 3 lessons:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/neocla...loforbeginners/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Petrucci-Made-Easy/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hand-Synch/

For all the lessons the Chords are written except for Hand Synch.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 15 2021, 12:46 AM
Instructor
That's a very cool selection. So, the next step is to write down the chord progressions adding the numeral numbers as explained in the songwriting course.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jun 15 2021, 05:48 PM
Learning Roadie
I will start with Neoclassical Solo for Beginners:
The Scale I identified is : B minor.
I identified the Chords in this scale.

I also wrote a few power chords from the song:
I can see that we have: i-iv-VII Chord Progression

This is what I have so far, I stopped there since, I am not sure how to continue, it looks like the scale will change.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2021, 09:38 PM
Instructor
Great! Have you learnt the lesson "fix your boring chord progressions" from the course?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jun 16 2021, 09:47 PM
Learning Roadie
No, but I will take a look right now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 17 2021, 02:15 PM
Instructor
Good! It is essential to learn the whole course. The topics covered there are basics that every composer should master.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jun 18 2021, 09:42 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

One of the latest Helloween songs Skyfall, I made a little cover with 3 guitars.
I see that the 2 guitars that are played the main melody are applying the same idea from the lesson "How To Harmonize A Melody".

Based on what I learned from Building Chord Progressions and How to Harmonize A Melody, I tried to put them to practice.

1. Build a Chord Progression in G Major
2. I came with a melody over the chord progression
3. Harmonized the melody.

Bonus:
Added drums using Guitar Pro, panned lead guitars left and right added EQ, I played a little with Reaper's settings.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  G_Major_Progression_Melody_with_Drums.gp ( 14.54K ) Number of downloads: 70
Attached File  Skyfall___3_Guitars.mp3 ( 555.51K ) Number of downloads: 69
Attached File  G_Major_Progression.mp3 ( 352.65K ) Number of downloads: 67

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 19 2021, 05:50 PM
Instructor
Excellent job mate!! Great to see you applying the concepts! I think that you could continue that G major idea. What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jun 19 2021, 05:57 PM
Learning Roadie
Yes, I think I can continue the G Major Idea, then we can go back to the other questions I had, cause there is a lot to cover, in terms of composing and guitar technique.

But my question is, how can I compose further, are there any rules for changing the scale? I don't want to be stuck the whole song in the same scale.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 19 2021, 06:58 PM
Instructor
Most of the greatest songs are based on 1 tonality. You can do a lot using only one scale so my recommendation is that you focus on trying to compose songs using one scale.

However, one thing that can help you is to know the existence of relative scales. Every major scale has a relative minor which is 3 semitones lower. In other words., the relative of G major is E minor, the relative of C major is A minor. Both scales have the same notes and chords, but when modulating a song from the major to the minor relative, the root chord changes, and that gives the song a different feel.

In the case of 'Skyfall' by Helloween, the intro is in G major, and then, the riff and verse modulates to E minor.

By knowing this, and getting into all the concepts covered in the songwriting basics course, you can understand and then compose lots of songs.

But always, start simple, work with a few elements. Composing is like learning a technique, you need to start slow, and practice.

PS: As the song Skyfall continues, it has many other modulations and more advanced techniques but in order to learn them, you need to be able to master the basics.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jun 20 2021, 07:51 PM
Learning Roadie
Yes, I can try to continue composing my song:

I have the Intro (which also can be the Chorus) which is in G Major.

After that I can compose in E minor, a verse part.
But it doesn't sound so interesting it sounds like playing "0000000000000" and "33333333333" etc. in sixteens, progression. I am not so happy with the result, like I was with the intro.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 21 2021, 04:11 PM
Instructor
Hi Victor!

As you are working on minor for the verse, you should get into the "building minor chord progressions" from the course. There you can get some ideas to start.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jun 22 2021, 04:55 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Here is more of my composition.
Let me know what you think, (what is good what is not so good).
What genre of metal do you think it is?

Attached File(s)
Attached File  G_Major_Progression_Melody_with_Drums.gp ( 19.71K ) Number of downloads: 70

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 23 2021, 02:21 PM
Instructor

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jun 24 2021, 09:46 PM
Learning Roadie
Thank you for video.

Yes, I like the intro, and how the verse part came out.
In the beginning I wasn't too happy with the verse, it was only a simple chord progression.
Than I took a day off from composing, got back to some hand synch exercises, and then went back to verse part and I added a simple melody, that I like.

I am also not that happy with the bridge part, I will rewrite that part using the advice from "Fix your boring chord progressions".

Also I think you are right about changing the drums too much, but I don't have too much experience working with drums, I only copy and pasted a pattern of drums.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 25 2021, 01:50 PM
Instructor
Great Victor! At this point, the goal is to complete songs that make sense. Don't overthink or judge too much your compositions at this point. Take this as a practice.

After 20 years of composing songs, I have a current rule that says that from every 4 songs that I compose, 1 is good (from my point of view).

Practice, enjoy the process, finish the songs, but don't judge too much while you are on the creative process.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jun 28 2021, 09:50 PM
Learning Roadie
I made the bride section, adding the secondary dominant chord, let me know if this is ok.

I made also the solo, but the power chords durations are a bit strange to match the solo.
Let me know what I can do there.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  G_Major_Progression_Melody_with_Drums.gp ( 22.59K ) Number of downloads: 63

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 28 2021, 10:24 PM
Instructor

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:11 PM