Long-time Goals, medium and short...
Fusar
Aug 10 2009, 09:41 PM
GMC:er
So, I read this afternoon on a site how important it is to set long-time goals, medium-time goals and short-time goals.
Now I've been thinking about this and for long-time goals I've found this for me (saying to be a versatile guitar player is not enough IMO)
  • have a solid knowledge of theory and different techniques (to be able to rock laugh.gif)
  • be able to play over bluesy and funky backing tracks
  • know a lot of different licks
  • be able to play "Always with you, always with me" and "Canon Rock"

Even if I like Lian's metal lessons, I don't think I'll go too much into metal playing (which doesn't mean I won't try these lessons!), but more into blues, funk and rock'n'roll smile.gif
I like the playings of Mark Knopfler and Eddie Van Halen, but also Joe Satriani, Carlos Santana, Steve Vai, John Frusciante...

So now I want you to help me set some medium and short-time goals :S I'm not sure where I should begin (and that's why I'll apply for the MTP!) - I think if you'll help me to set these goals (and maybe suggest lessons), this will help me win a lot of time, when I start the MTP, because then I'll know better where to go smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

For all who are interested, I own a Yahama Pacifica 112 and a Spider Line 6 15W Amp
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 10 2009, 10:38 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Fusar @ Aug 10 2009, 10:41 PM) *
  • have a solid knowledge of theory and different techniques (to be able to rock laugh.gif)
  • be able to play over bluesy and funky backing tracks
  • know a lot of different licks
  • be able to play "Always with you, always with me" and "Canon Rock"

So now I want you to help me set some medium and short-time goals :S

Keep the goals easy to measure. Like playing "Canon Rock", that's a great long time goal.
Know a lot of different licks isn't really measurable and will probably vary as you learn more and more. What is "a lot"?
Same with "solid knowledge". Not really measurable. And when you have played for a year I'm sure the term "solid" will contain as much new things as it did when you started since it'll vary. The more you learn the more you'll fit into "solid" and "lots of licks"
Play over a bluesy backing could be measured but it's a little difficult to judge wether it's good enough or not, but certainly a reachable goal.

I would rather put the short and medium time goals down as clear statement where you can strike them after convincing yourself you fulfilled the goal.
Short time goal.
- Learn the Pentatonic scale with the low E string as root.
*play it*
measure the result, did you play it right?
Strike the goal of you did.

Medium time goal.
- Being able to play the Pentatonic scale with the root note on the A string

You could easily use lessons as goals.

So my suggestion would be to set reasonable goals for yourself, goals you can reach. And let it be goals that you can measure and decide wether you fulfilled the standars or not. No giddy goals, but clear and precise.
Run 100 m in 10 seconds blank. Measurable.
Jump 5 m with a pole. Measurable

Hope that gives some ideas on how to set things up to work for you and not become confusing when you proceed your learning and come to define ill chosen terms such as "solid" and "know a lot" smile.gif
Know 10 different country licks is a better and measurable goal.
Know 5 Hendrix song intros is another

Good luck!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Frederik
Aug 10 2009, 10:50 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Wow mickey, thats really a good adwise. also for me in a daily life. setting measurable goals as my standart continuesly changes

thanks smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fusar
Aug 11 2009, 12:27 AM
Nice reply Mickey, I see what you mean and yeah, you're right smile.gif
I'm too tired now to overthink my long-time goals, but tomorrow I'll give it a try to post clearer long-time goals and maybe add some medium/short-time goals!
Thanks for your advice smile.gif

--------------------

For all who are interested, I own a Yahama Pacifica 112 and a Spider Line 6 15W Amp

+Quote Post
Fusar
Aug 11 2009, 10:59 PM
So I've been thinking about this smile.gif
My short time goals are (I'm on holidays until Sunday, so this will count for 17th August till 23th August):
  • finish my MTP Application, which includes recording Smoke On The Water properly
  • learn Kris' Power Chords lesson, which includes learning muting strings
  • try first barre chords

I've bought a book where I've found some exercises to muting strings (which includes palm muting wink.gif ) - so I'll practise them for the Power Chords Lesson.
What I've read (and tried) about barre chords, I don't think I'll make it in a week, but I'll practise them next week smile.gif

My medium time goals are going over a period of 1 month, where I've set 2 big points: Minor Pentatonic Scales and Chords
  • Pentatonic Scales:
    learn Andrew's theory and work through Ivan' first lesson about Minor Pentatonics (CAGED)
    to recess this, I'll learn at least 3 different pentatonic licks
  • Chords:
    I'll use David's Beginner Chord Lessons and Joe's Finger Shifting (which doesn't mean to learn the whole lesson, but practise them regularly) to accomplish Muris' Strumming&Arpeggios
    Then I'll learn more about Pop Strumming and Chord progressions to play the 35 first seconds of Carlos' Oasis Style Lesson

That are the two gists, but not to lose my motivation, I'll learn
  • Gabriel' first Lesson about John Frusciante

Furthermore I'll try Steve Vai finger exercises one after the other as well as Marcus' Right Hand video to find out my own routine to warm up.
And ofc, I'll use along my new-bought-book to learn some basics techniques ;-)

What do you think of my lesson plan? Is it too much? Should I add something, like theory?Or leave something out? Do you know other lessons from which I could benefit and which would fit in this plan?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Aug 17 2009, 09:10 AM
Instructor
Glad to hear you are setting short and long term goals. That is extremely important in order to improve. Without goals there is no structure and without structure there is very little (if none) improvement.
Guys who play all day long without structure eventually hit a block in their improvement and get stuck. With goals (such as ones you listed) you will be able to overcome that.
The hardest part is (of course) to stick to those goals. Don't give up, work hard every day and things will happen.

Best of luck !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fusar
Sep 1 2009, 09:43 AM
Nice to hear from you Pedja smile.gif since I didn't have enough time to play, I'm a bit late, but from now on, I'll try harder to play every day, even if there's only time for a twenty-minute-session ;-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 1 2009, 06:31 PM
Instructor
20 minute session is just enough on most days to keep yourself improving, if all of the 20 mins are spent practicing with the metronome, and if you do the sessions almost every day. If you need help devising a system for practicing PM me, and I will give you some pointers.

cheers,
Ivan

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 1 2009, 10:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fusar @ Sep 1 2009, 10:43 AM) *
Nice to hear from you Pedja smile.gif since I didn't have enough time to play, I'm a bit late, but from now on, I'll try harder to play every day, even if there's only time for a twenty-minute-session ;-)

Nice to see you back on site Fusar smile.gif
If you get to 20 minute session every day I am sure it will do you go. Perhaps in near future it will motivate you to do 30, 60 minutes, which should later result in 3 hours a day for example. Let me know if you need any help man.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fusar
Sep 3 2009, 09:16 PM
You're helpful as always smile.gif
I've applied for you in MTP Ivan, so if you accept me, we could discuss it there!? But if you don't accept students, no problem, I'll send you a PM smile.gif
And to Pedja: These goals and the MTP will help me a lot in future I think, and if you don't have anything to add on my goals, I don't have questions atm smile.gif I'll follow your MTP, your tips might be helpful not only for the particular student you teach, but also for all the other guitarists around here! If I have a question, I'll certainly not hesitate to ask you man smile.gif
Thank you for always being so kind!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 3 2009, 09:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fusar @ Sep 3 2009, 10:16 PM) *
And to Pedja: These goals and the MTP will help me a lot in future I think, and if you don't have anything to add on my goals, I don't have questions atm smile.gif I'll follow your MTP, your tips might be helpful not only for the particular student you teach, but also for all the other guitarists around here! If I have a question, I'll certainly not hesitate to ask you man smile.gif
Thank you for always being so kind!

Since you are doing MTP with Ivan I don't want to give you advices before he does. If you have some extra questions regarding anything, stop by on my board and ask there. You are of course welcome to hang around and check out my MTP program smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fusar
Sep 3 2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I think it's the best if I wait if the whole MTP is clear smile.gif It's great that you prepare extra lessons for your students and why the others should not profit as well from it smile.gif This MTP time will be great wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 3 2009, 09:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fusar @ Sep 3 2009, 10:52 PM) *
Yeah, I think it's the best if I wait if the whole MTP is clear smile.gif It's great that you prepare extra lessons for your students and why the others should not profit as well from it smile.gif This MTP time will be great wink.gif

I agree with you Fusar. Once the MTP starts I will be fully dedicated to members that signed up to study with me but you are always welcome to check out how they are doing and give them support wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 4 2009, 12:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fusar @ Sep 3 2009, 10:16 PM) *
You're helpful as always smile.gif
I've applied for you in MTP Ivan, so if you accept me, we could discuss it there!? But if you don't accept students, no problem, I'll send you a PM smile.gif

I watch the MTP thread closely, and don't want to make any topics about it until the MTP program kicks in. When this happens, every member who applied for me will be accepted and you will get your own customized topic where we will discuss all the things that will be done.
Also if you ever have any questions throw me a PM, I am always glad to answer.

cheers
Ivan

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Sep 4 2009, 12:56 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fusar
Sep 4 2009, 10:39 AM
Great! So I'll have to have a little patience, no prob cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 4 2009, 02:11 PM
Instructor
We were waiting for the September to kicks in, so we can start with MTP, and see how many members would apply. I think 5-7 members is just enough for me to start working on the MTP for now, and later on we will see how it goes. I wouldn't want to accept too many members that I cannot dedicate my time to 100%, so I think 5-7 for starters will be ideal, and this is exactly how many people applied so I'm pretty sure that it will all go well. Just couple of more days of patience smile.gif

If you have any questions that needs answering right now, feel free to throw me PM. smile.gif

cheers,
Ivan

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:12 PM