3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
(possible) Newbie Need Some Answers
kirua
Jul 12 2007, 01:07 AM
GMC:er
Hello everyone!

I am thinking about learning how to play on an el. guitar (yeah, I paid just to be able to post some question here and look how the lessons look exactly wink.gif ).

First of all, I have never played on any instrument, ever -- well, except the computer where I do actually create music (but yeah, that doesn't matter much).

My first question is about what gear to buy. I can't really know if the playing on el. guitar will hook me or not -- obviously as I have no experience on this field. So I am looking for something cheaper like Ibanez grx jumpstart kit or QTX Sky Rockie (stratocaster type guitar) (and this one is cheaper, like half the price of that Ibanez one). Which one (or something else maybe?) would you recommend?

Another question is about what is driving you to play the guitar and why did you start playing on it? I know it's different for everyone but I am interested in what it gives?

Also I am looking for someone who was in a similiar position like me: never played on anything, picked up el. guitar and learned mainly (or just!) from this site -- if there is someone like that? Is it doable this way by the way? Will I learn how to tune up the guitar and take care of it and similiar stuff here?

Well, that's all for now, I bet I had more stuff on my mind to ask, but I will post them later if I remember what it was smile.gif

All replies and opinions are very appreciated, so please don't hold back! wink.gif

Best regards,
kirua

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AliMo
Jul 12 2007, 01:26 AM
First of all welcome to the site!

And second, I was in the same boat as you when I started playing. I never played any instruments, but all the music I liked had guitars in them so obviously I liked them. Another reason was I had friends who were either just beginning or very good at the guitar so they helped with my decision.
Basically what I'm trying to say is you have to try and find your own inspiration to drive you to start playing. Whether it be someone you know personally or just seeing or hearing a famous musician play. Just ask yourself if you really want to be that good and then tell yourself that you can.
Also I haven't learned everything from this site, but about 90% of what I know came from here and I'm sure beginning here will be much more beneficial to you, so don't worry about that, this is a great site.

Oh yea and as for the gear question, thats all up to your budget, how much you think you will play and if your gonna stick with it. If you have some doubt and think you may not enjoy it then go for the cheaper one. If you feel your gonna stick with it for a while then its only a matter of time until you get better and will eventually want even better equipment, so you might as well get the ibanez pack since it will probably give you a longer time before you make that upgrade (if you ever decide to). In my case my first few months of playing was on a friends guitar that I borrowed so by the time I got my first one I knew I was gonna stick with it so I just decided to get a more expensive guitar instead of getting one of those beginner packages.
Hope I helped with your decision, lol sorry for such a long post rolleyes.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG4EX1 - Schecter Spitfire-6

Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 30W

Effects: PodXT Live

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 12 2007, 01:57 AM
So your thinking about playing the guitar, Excellent ! The guitar is a whole new world your about to experience but it seems your still thinking about how you want to enter that world so let me try to be of some assistance.

Well there are lots of guitar "packs " can get which contain a guitar , a 10 to 15 watt amp., picks, chords and ever thing youll need to gear wise. The problem is that I need to see how serious you really are about this.

Because the s***** part about getting a " starter pack" is that youll want a better guitar and better amp sooner then you think.

I recomend ( gear wise ) the following things for a starting guitar player.

Amp. http://line6.com/spideriii/15.html - for 100$ this is the best amp imo that you can get.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dea...itar?sku=512150

I believe for 200$ this is the best gear money can buy.

- John

Edited for language - Andrew

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 12 2007, 02:30 AM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 12 2007, 02:21 AM
Ok, first off. This maybe like the other guys posts, but maybe not. Lets see. Well you definitly want to play guitar. Correct? Well if thats correct then this is the best place to start. You get all the basics. Other than tunings, and stuff, but for that. Just ask on the forums. Its really easy to learn. So no worries there. Everything you need to start playing guitar. Is all here. Metrenome Practice (For timing, and speed VERY IMPORTANT, but also it can be boring), Chords, Theory, Lessons to help with Alternate picking, chicken picking, sweep picking, tapping, 2 finger taps, and legato. Also all of them mixed together, and how to use them. You get tons of theory knowledge here. So no worries on that!!

And for the guitar setup. I say do it like this. You can buy the starter pack, but get the cheap one. For sure, or just get a cheap 100$ guitar, and a cheap 100$ amp!! Because you may think you are going to be serious about guitar now, but things change my friend. So to stay on the safe side. Get the cheap stuff. Because really dont know how much your gonna like it until you try it, and how well your actually gonna stick with it!! Tons of serious guitarists lose there motivation, and have to strive to find it again!! I know from experience on that. You will have a great week, or month. Where you will advance greatly, but then the next thing you know. It doesnt all seem that great, and you dont grow in skills at all for a while. That can cause you to lose motivation.

And plus this is very important to remeber. Its not he gear that makes you great. Its "YOU". And last but not least. Practice, Practice, Practice biggrin.gif!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Roo
Jul 12 2007, 02:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (kirua @ Jul 12 2007, 02:07 AM) *
Hello everyone!

I am thinking about learning how to play on an el. guitar (yeah, I paid just to be able to post some question here and look how the lessons look exactly wink.gif ).

First of all, I have never played on any instrument, ever -- well, except the computer where I do actually create music (but yeah, that doesn't matter much).

My first question is about what gear to buy. I can't really know if the playing on el. guitar will hook me or not -- obviously as I have no experience on this field. So I am looking for something cheaper like Ibanez grx jumpstart kit or QTX Sky Rockie (stratocaster type guitar) (and this one is cheaper, like half the price of that Ibanez one). Which one (or something else maybe?) would you recommend?

Another question is about what is driving you to play the guitar and why did you start playing on it? I know it's different for everyone but I am interested in what it gives?

Also I am looking for someone who was in a similiar position like me: never played on anything, picked up el. guitar and learned mainly (or just!) from this site -- if there is someone like that? Is it doable this way by the way? Will I learn how to tune up the guitar and take care of it and similiar stuff here?

Well, that's all for now, I bet I had more stuff on my mind to ask, but I will post them later if I remember what it was smile.gif

All replies and opinions are very appreciated, so please don't hold back! wink.gif

Best regards,
kirua

Hi, welcome.
This is a great site. As an instructor, Im very demanding in matters of quality. I would not publish lessons somewhere instructional material is low level for indecent price.

All I can say, is I trust high quality answers of the members so I let them tell you.
I know they have good advice and knowledge.

--------------------
Let's meet on myspace!
IPB Image

Official website.
IPB Image

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 12 2007, 02:34 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Jul 11 2007, 06:57 PM) *
So your thinking about playing the guitar, Excellent ! The guitar is a whole new world your about to experience but it seems your still thinking about how you want to enter that world so let me try to be of some assistance.
Well there are lots of guitar "packs " can get which contain a guitar , a 10 to 15 watt amp., picks, chords and ever thing youll need to gear wise. The problem is that I need to see how serious you really are about this.

Because the s***** part about getting a " starter pack" is that youll want a better guitar and better amp sooner then you think.

I recomend ( gear wise ) the following things for a starting guitar player.

Amp. http://line6.com/spideriii/15.html - for 100$ this is the best amp imo that you can get.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dea...itar?sku=512150

I believe for 200$ this is the best gear money can buy.
- John

Edited for languag - Andrew

I second that, that would be the way to go. If you decide to get one of the starter packs, get the ibanez one. Also another amp to consider is the cube, you can check that one out:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rol...-Amp?sku=487030

I've heard a whole lot of people really like this one but I have not tried it myself. I haven't tried the line 6 amp either, but when I was considering buying one of the other versions for myself I heard a lot of mixed reivews, people either seem to love it or hate it. Either way, I'd go with that dean guitar. The majority of the guitars you'll get from the starter packs are absolute crap and that can be an obstacle in getting into guitar. The dean is supposed to be probably the very best for the money. But you will want better eventually smile.gif

Hope you enjoy GMC, you really can find everything you need to know here from beginner to pro stuff. It's the only site you'll need probably, except if you want some tabs (in which case www.ultimate-guitar.com is probably the place to go, our Kristofer Dahl contributes there a lot).

Good luck!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Manny
Jul 12 2007, 02:51 AM
if you want to know the complete basics, go to the library and check out a copy of Guitar for Dummies.
it will teach u the extreme basics like tuning, using an amp, changing strings, basic maitenance etc.

once you plug in, turn on, and tune up, check out the beginners videos and practice practice practice

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Jul 12 2007, 03:17 AM
Hey AND WELCOME

what drove me to play the guitar was when i first saw satriani play. So find some one that you like and learn some of there stuff.

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Jul 12 2007, 04:23 AM
Welcome,
All i can say if you havent started yet playing guitar is, you get what you put in just like anything else in life.There are alot of very talented instructor's and great lessons.I feel alot of lessons put out right now would be too difficult for someone just picking up the guitar but, there is alot of stuff in the achrives for beginner's and if your serious about playing this could really help you out.Most of the people on here are nice to and will help you along the way.

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 12 2007, 04:56 AM
QUOTE (kirua @ Jul 11 2007, 06:07 PM) *

I have always bought the best equipment I could afford, right from the start. Actually more than I could afford. Actually a lot more than I could afford. I believe strongly in that. When I started Triathlon I went out and got a $2,000 bike, day 1. I participated in that 6 or 7 years, still might go back to it. So I recommend that you buy a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Les Pauls are a real man's guitar. If Arnold Schwarzenegger played guitar, I am sure that is what he would play, not a girlie man Ibanez.

If you need the scratch, come up with something creative. Do any Gypsies still hang around in the Czech Republic? You have a younger brother? Maybe you can sell him to the Gypsies to get the cash if you don't have it.

BTW, I am serious, always buy top scale equipment, best you can afford, think big, believe in yourself, right from the start.

Real Man's Guitar:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QvI6rtFyqlc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CW09oMknOuA

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 12 2007, 05:26 AM

+Quote Post
ClifordACDC
Jul 12 2007, 05:01 AM
i was somewhat like you when i started but the first thing i did was get a starter kit (which i regret but let me stay on topic) it came with a dvd that showed me the parts of a guitar, how to change strings, tune. i knew nothing when i joined besideds 3 chords that it taught me. if i haddent found this site it eaither had stoped playing or have been playing those same chords. on to the starter kits, they come with the things people have mentiond alredy but know they are of low quality. the amp that came with mine stoped working after 2 weeks of serious practiceing, and after playing 3 guitars at my local guitar shop i could tell how bad mine was. so do what eat sleep and jam said and buy every thing seperately. if you can go to a guitar shop inted of the internet. even though you might not know any thing try messing around with a expensive guitar then try ones in your price range to compare and get the best one. glad i could help biggrin.gif

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/cliffordacdc

my gear: epiphone sg special, Marshall mg100dfx, digitech df-7 distortion factory

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jul 12 2007, 05:02 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 11 2007, 10:56 PM) *
. Les Pauls are a real man's guitar. If Arnold Schwarzenegger played guitar, I am sure that is what he would play, not a girlie man Ibanez.

Yeah right dry.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jul 12 2007, 05:08 AM
QUOTE (kirua @ Jul 12 2007, 12:07 AM) *

I'll let the gearheads discuss gear.

The two questions that I left in the quote are related to me.

I'm 33. I played alto sax in middle school for a year or so. Didn't really like it. I spent 2006 on and off unsuccessfully trying to teach myself to play keyboards. I won an electric guitar in mid December and that was the first time I really picked one up and thought I should learn to play it. I did some poking around online and in some books for a while on my own.

By mid January I ended up here. So while I do read other stuff and watch videos of other stuff, I do mostly owe what I can do to GMC. I don't practice nearly enough though to consider myself a shining example of a GMC student. I'm doing what I can though. smile.gif

Gear maintenance isn't really in the scope of the lessons on the site. GMC has more of a playing/technique focus. In the forums, there's a lot of knowledgeable people though that are pretty good about answering questions that are posted.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
ClifordACDC
Jul 12 2007, 05:21 AM
oh and there is also a video when you go to the begginers section on what to do if you are a complete begginer

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/cliffordacdc

my gear: epiphone sg special, Marshall mg100dfx, digitech df-7 distortion factory

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 12 2007, 05:31 AM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Jul 11 2007, 10:02 PM) *
Yeah right dry.gif laugh.gif

see links I added as proof. including one with your namesake. both have biceps, and one even poses in front of tanks. clear evidence.

here is another Link, more evidence:

Girlie Man Guitar:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V0PHoL9vYQo

+Quote Post
Victafor
Jul 12 2007, 06:45 AM
i started playin the guitar in january/february and it was my first instrument. what motivated me was my uncle and to get myself off the cpu and video games. I dont think its possible to master the guitar on here but it is a very useful site that will get you far. I have relied on this and my some of my uncle's tips alone to get to where i am. And i am not that bad XD

i recommend the el guitar

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jul 12 2007, 08:56 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 12 2007, 05:56 AM) *
I have always bought the best equipment I could afford, right from the start. Actually more than I could afford. Actually a lot more than I could afford. I believe strongly in that. When I started Triathlon I went out and got a $2,000 bike, day 1. I participated in that 6 or 7 years, still might go back to it. So I recommend that you buy a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Les Pauls are a real man's guitar. If Arnold Schwarzenegger played guitar, I am sure that is what he would play, not a girlie man Ibanez.

If you need the scratch, come up with something creative. Do any Gypsies still hang around in the Czech Republic? You have a younger brother? Maybe you can sell him to the Gypsies to get the cash if you don't have it.

BTW, I am serious, always buy top scale equipment, best you can afford, think big, believe in yourself, right from the start.

Real Man's Guitar:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QvI6rtFyqlc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CW09oMknOuA

I'm just like that. I buy quality stuff from the start but I'm not sure that's the right way, but its my way.
I started just like you about 6 months ago. Always wanted to learn guitar. What keeps me going now is that it's so d*mn fun! And I've learned to play songs I never thought I could play and I keep learning new stuff every day. Not implying that I'm even close to being a guitarist yet. Just know a few songs.

I agree with Ryan. Depending on your economy it might be better to buy a cheaper equipment 'til you know if this is for you.
I'd say don't buy a starter kit. Buy a used guitar and amp for the same price. The store can help you get a good start if they are serious. But if you have the money, go for the good stuff. You'll get a descent price for your gear if you change your mind and want to sell it. If you love playing you will want better gear very soon though. Maybe within 6 months even.

I regret one thing. That I didn't buy the PODXT from the start. As it turned out I never use my amp because I drive my wife nuts with it (I had a tough time here, but I decided I liked being married). I compromised on the amp because I thought it would turn out this way so I just bought a descent amp instead of a good amp, but I could have saved that money if I got the POD right from the start. If I could use the amp today, I would get a way better one. Something with tubes. ENGL maybe. You see? That's what I get for byuing cheap goods. Should have followed my path and bought the real deal.

And fkalich is right in another thing. Get a manly guitar, not a girlie Ibanez. He's wrong about the Gibsons though. They are severly overpriced. You'd get much more guitar for the money with some other brand wink.gif

Fkalich gave some good advice too. Sell your brother if you have one. H*ll, sell ALL your relatives and buy great stuff. You won't regret it. HAHA!

QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 12 2007, 06:31 AM) *
see links I added as proof. including one with your namesake. both have biceps, and one even poses in front of tanks. clear evidence.
here is another Link, more evidence:

Girlie Man Guitar:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V0PHoL9vYQo

I usually dont "Laugh Out Loud", but this time I really did! Excellent!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 12 2007, 12:07 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
You can go for used gear and if you decide to put the guitar down you'd be able to get your money back, more or less. So even if you're going for more expensive gear, and make fair deals of course, you could end up even if you sell them one day.

Ask youself a couple of questions.

* What guitar sound are you looking for? Maybe a guitar with both single coils and humbuckers would make a good start so you'll have both.

* What amp do you want. One which can make all the sound effects in the world or one with a couple of channels (eg. clean and distortion OR clean, crunch and lead) where you're the one tweaking the sound?

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jul 12 2007, 03:48 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 12 2007, 03:56 AM) *
So I recommend that you buy a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Les Pauls are a real man's guitar. If Arnold Schwarzenegger played guitar, I am sure that is what he would play, not a girlie man Ibanez.

You could always tie a couple of bricks to an Ibanez body to get that Les Paul feel.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 12 2007, 04:02 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Jul 12 2007, 10:48 AM) *
You could always tie a couple of bricks to an Ibanez body to get that Les Paul feel.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:25 AM