Distortion Pedals.., In addition?
kjutte
Jul 16 2008, 12:11 PM
GMC:er
I already have a Marshall TSL amp, that I am quite satisfied with. But sometimes, I'd like some more gain at riffing.
Does a distortionpedal solve this, or will it just make it muddy?

If it does, which one's nice?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Jul 16 2008, 12:20 PM
I have Boss DS-1 distortion pedal, and I think it's really good. The DS-2 and DS-3 are more heavier I think, but for little gain I would go for the DS-1 smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jul 16 2008, 12:43 PM
Instructor
Some pedals will definetly make your sound more muddy, especially the cheaper pedals.
In addition to the Boss pedals Kyledee mentioned then Maxon and Electro-Harmonics could be worth looking into too.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 16 2008, 01:08 PM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Jul 16 2008, 01:43 PM) *
Some pedals will definetly make your sound more muddy, especially the cheaper pedals.
In addition to the Boss pedals Kyledee mentioned then Maxon and Electro-Harmonics could be worth looking into too.

Ok... I don't want mud, I want clear and strong. So a distortionpedal is a "no go" then?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 16 2008, 03:24 PM
Instructor
SD1 SUper overdrive is a nice booster, specailly for TSL kind of drive.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ognjen Protic
Jul 16 2008, 03:37 PM
Instructor
Try Xotic pedals...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 16 2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the advice guys smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jul 16 2008, 05:45 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
In my Marshall times I always used an Ibanez Tubescreamer to get more gain.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 16 2008, 09:29 PM
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Jul 16 2008, 06:45 PM) *
In my Marshall times I always used an Ibanez Tubescreamer to get more gain.

Nice! I will get one smile.gif was it expensive?

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jul 16 2008, 09:58 PM
I would recommend that while you are looking at pedals look for ones with true bypass, unless you plan on putting them in the effects loop. True bypass will minimize the loss of tone that tends to happen when you have a pedal in front of the amp that is off.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jul 17 2008, 01:25 AM
QUOTE (kjutte @ Jul 16 2008, 04:29 PM) *
Nice! I will get one smile.gif was it expensive?

They can be. Depends

There were a lot of different versions out there over the years. Older ones can be expensive. A new one will come in under $100.

Sounds like what you're looking for is more of an overdrive than a straight-up distortion pedal.

I spend a lot of time listening to recordings online of different setups when I'm looking for something specific. Youtube's pretty good for that sometimes.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 17 2008, 01:48 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Jul 17 2008, 02:25 AM) *
They can be. Depends

There were a lot of different versions out there over the years. Older ones can be expensive. A new one will come in under $100.

Sounds like what you're looking for is more of an overdrive than a straight-up distortion pedal.

I spend a lot of time listening to recordings online of different setups when I'm looking for something specific. Youtube's pretty good for that sometimes.

Only thing you'll of course have to be aware of on youtube is that they could have different guitars, pick ups, amps etc. even the mic or soundcard etc. might make a difference.

That said, as always, the best thing is to go and try something out. I've seen people take their guitars to guitar shops to try different pedals - even though it may be a little strange, I think that is one of the most ultimate solutions.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 17 2008, 02:33 AM
Instructor
I'm down with Marcus, Tubescreamer is a great option for boosting, better than SD1 too.

Check if you can find a good 808 one or TS9 modded to 808. The second one is not so expensive.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 17 2008, 02:08 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 17 2008, 03:33 AM) *
I'm down with Marcus, Tubescreamer is a great option for boosting, better than SD1 too.

Check if you can find a good 808 one or TS9 modded to 808. The second one is not so expensive.

Thanks ivan smile.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jul 17 2008, 10:38 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I needed more gain for my Marshall Vintage Modern, so I bought the Tubescreamer TS9 with a Keeley Mod and WOW smile.gif
Awesome pedal!

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jul 18 2008, 09:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Jul 16 2008, 01:43 PM) *

yeah, I'm thinking in getting one... or more !!!! laugh.gif

http://www.robertkeeley.com/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:14 AM