8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Misterm's Bootcamp, Prepare to walk knee deep in blood of your enemy!!!
Todd Simpson
Apr 29 2019, 11:53 PM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!
QUICK TIPS TO PREPARE YOU FOR BATTLE
*Make sure you get both hands in the shot when shooting your video*Make sure you use a metronome for the first several Missions and that the metronome can be heard.*After you complete a mission, shoot me a PM and let me know it's ready and I'll give you a debrief! These are pass / fail, so if you pass you BADGE UP and if not, I'll give you some feedback and you head in to the breach once again.
*The first several missions are VERY simple. They are just to get you used to the bootcamp process.
*Most importantly, there is NEVER a speed requirement in bootcamp. I want you to push yourself to play as brisk as you can, but NEVER at the expense of precision. If you find you are missing a note here and there, slow down a bit. Speed is just a byproduct of precision so my goal is to make you a very precise player. At that point, speed just happens.
MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SUPER PERFECT!. Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you, no points for speed, only points for playing in a precise manner as speed is simply a byproduct of precision) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. Make sure to EMBED the video by clicking on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM above the smiley face and then you'll get a drop down menu. Click on INSERT YOUTUBE VIDEO and follow the instructions in the Pop Up Menu. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP! You will then proceed to Lesson #2 and so forth. Here is the link to the entire 400 plus Lesson Library. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!

http://bit.ly/mistermsbootcamp
Practice!
Sarge

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
May 4 2019, 11:33 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Sarge

First mission 180 BPM
I'm sorry, I don't record warmup.
I work on my thumb posiition but at full speed it is less flexible.

Next I will record warmup

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 4 2019, 09:40 PM
WELCOME TO SHRED BOOTCAMP!!!!! Well fought here on your first Mission. You are clearly well advanced in technique. These first few are just to get the ball rolling and get you familiar with the process. The video looks great!! I can hear the metronome and everything. Your guitar could be a pinch louder if possible, but if not it will work as is. Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*MUTE: Well Done on your mute technique. Yo Your palm remains planted and your articulating the pick with the thumb and first finger.
*SYNCH: The point of this Mission is to test your hand synch and let me know if there are issues wit it. The Good News is that I don't see any issues!
*PACE: Another aspect of this mission is pace. I want to see if you can play without rushing or lagging, you are spot on and tight with the metronome. Nice!
In other words, you KRUSHED it and got your first Mission badge, you just

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Super Congrats Soldier!! You are on your way!!! Plenty of speed on this one as well without it falling apart! Precision is always more important than speed here at bootcamp as speed is just a by product of precision and repetition. I do encourage people to push their limits and find out where the edge of their ability is and try to play on that edge while keeping things clean and tight!
Look forward to your next Mission!!
Sarge

Hi Sarge

First mission 180 BPM
I'm sorry, I don't record warmup.
I work on my thumb posiition but at full speed it is less flexible.

Next I will record warmup

[/quote]

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
May 12 2019, 05:14 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hello Sarge
Thank you for your envouragements

This afternoon, Big Sunday SHRED smile.gif

I played my DV MARK MULTIAMP.
The tone is much more organic, I love it.

I did the next three missions.
I also posted my current work regarding the aternate picking
AC/DC thuderstruck and a Cosmin LUPU's lesson Vivaldi winter arpeggios.

I’ve been working on my thumb position every day for the last two months.
It’s not visible on the video but I feel some progress, exercises are easier day after day

On this one I add "Guitar pro" partition track

This post has been edited by MisterM: May 12 2019, 05:28 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 13 2019, 06:28 AM
Well Fought Soldier!!! Some great examples of progress here. Especially on your NO COMBAT vids. That ACDC tune is a clinic in open string technique and muting. Also a lot of bits like good hand positions and timing, etc. go in to playing that kind of lick. The Winter arps are also a great combo of techiques on display. I can see a lot of forward momentum in your playing Soldier! Let's Debrief!!..

MEDALS OF HONOR

*FORM: You are displaying solid technique here Soldier. keep it up! Muting, hand synch, clean strikes. These first few missions are about getting the basics down and you are!
*TEMPO: Not rushing or lagging, which is key.

*AGGRESSION: Jumping in with aggressive style!! Being aggressive on these will serve you well Soldier!Nicely Done! Keep it up Soldier! I'll Debrief one of these per day as that's the Badge Rate. You can keep shooting vids and I'll keep up the debrief!BTW that DV Mark unit sounds killer! I've always been impressed by those units. They have a very organic/tube vibe to them.

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (MisterM @ May 12 2019, 12:14 PM) *
Hello Sarge
Thank you for your envouragements

This afternoon, Big Sunday SHRED smile.gif

I played my DV MARK MULTIAMP.
The tone is much more organic, I love it.

I did the next three missions.
I also posted my current work regarding the aternate picking
AC/DC thuderstruck and a Cosmin LUPU's lesson Vivaldi winter arpeggios.

I’ve been working on my thumb position every day for the last two months.
It’s not visible on the video but I feel some progress, exercises are easier day after day

On this one I add "Guitar pro" partition track

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 13 2019, 06:40 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 14 2019, 08:44 AM
Nice!!!!

I must say I'm impressed Soldier. The lesson started off as expected then BAM! You jumped in to the deep end of BPM and held it together!!! You are well prepared for bootcamp and since you get out what you bring to it and put it, you are set to get a LOT out of it. You may find these first few Missions don't challenge you. They are meant to be able to work for folks that have just picked up the guitar as well. You clearly have a leg up. Let's Debrief!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*PICKING TECHNIQUE: The picking is really the core of everything we are going to be doing so it's great to see you have a good handle on it. You keep it clean even when you speed up which is great to see. Not missing strikes during traverse at speed is something people really struggle with.

*MUTING: Your palm mute is spot on and no string noise is escaping. Id' say try to start focusing on a center strategy where your palm stays in one place and you can reach for the low E or High E by just tilting your hand a bit. Even when you are not muting, try to keep your hand just a few millimeters out / above the bridge so that you can get back to the mute in under a beat. You'll need to as we go smile.gif

*SYNCH: You've got very solid hand synch and you are ready for what's next. More than ready.

In other words you just.....
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Sarge
[/quote]

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
May 21 2019, 11:01 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Sarge

You did not say anything about Mission 4, it's in previous posts
I think 160 bpm is too fast for me because timing issue

QUOTE (MisterM @ May 12 2019, 04:14 PM) *

Today Mission 5
I allowed myself to adapt the exercise to the first vivaldi sequence

Here my Work on Vivaldi to 120 BPM
I feel little progress

This post has been edited by MisterM: May 22 2019, 12:02 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 22 2019, 07:39 PM
Sorry for the lag Soldier!! I Think you did an amazing job on 4. You are not tensing up and not picking from the elbow and your playing it quite clean and smooth. This is a great drill to work with a metronome to improve speed an precision. Once mistake and you have to start over. You play it without any mistakes and at quite a brisk speed. I'm impressed that you are able to traverse and pick this fast without stumbling. This is a tricky bit, but you killed it. Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*PALM MUTE STEADY ON: You have a good and centered technique here. Very nice work. You keep your pick hand planted near the bridge this is crucial for being able to play what's coming.
*PICKING STEADY ON: If your picking rushes or drags, it will ruin your ability to play briskly with precision. No problem here, you tempo is spot on.
*ENDURANCE: This Mission is one that can burn your arm off if you are not doing it correctly which is sorta the point of Mission 4. if one tries this mission using the STIFF ARM picking technique, for example, it won't last long.You have a very relaxed technique which is perfect for these long looping traverse licks.

I would agree that 160 is a pinch to brisk but that's easily fixed with some repetition. Make smaller bumps in BPM go one or two at a time, you can work up to any speed you like. Also I noticed you didn't run this one up the neck per drill instructions but your playing is so good here that I'm not gonna let that get in the way.
In short you just.....LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (MisterM @ May 21 2019, 06:01 AM) *
Hi Sarge

You did not say anything about Mission 4, it's in previous posts
I think 160 bpm is too fast for me because timing issue

Today Mission 5
I allowed myself to adapt the exercise to the first vivaldi sequence

Here my Work on Vivaldi to 120 BPM
I feel little progress

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 22 2019, 08:13 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 23 2019, 08:23 PM
Very impressive work Soldier!! You are picking with the wrist and not the elbow, you never lose the beat, hand synch is spot on, it's all in there! Let's Debrief!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*TRAVERSE: String Traverse can be a challenge. It's easy to stumble on it. You play it clean and confident. No gaps, no missed strikes. Score!
*PACE:You play very evenly which is what I like to see. It's easy to rush or lag without even realizing it but you stay locked to the metronome which is great. Double Score!
*ARTICULATION: It's easy to stiffen the entire arm and elbow pick which is a bad habit and hard to break. You are articulating the pick very well. The smaller the pick motion, the better, especially on fast bits like this.
You killed this one, you just...... LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
May 29 2019, 03:07 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Sarge

Mission 6

Not easy to play with metronome
This take is without metronome

I've started the mission 7, it's very interesting, I like it more.

This post has been edited by MisterM: May 29 2019, 05:46 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 29 2019, 07:55 PM
Well Fought Soldier!! This one is tricky to play with a metronome as the lick doesn't match up to 4/4 time on a metronome very well. However, your timing is quite good and you don't seem to need the metronome. If you put the metronome on 3/4 time it should match better, but as long as you can play without rushing or lagging, you can skip the metronome. It's just for reference after all. Le's Debrief!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

ALT PICKING: Your Alternate Picking is consistent and that's what I'm looking for. Nice!!
MUTE: Very solid work on the palm mute. Also critical. If you can't mute, you will get string noise. Not here, your mute is solid!

SYNCH: If your synch is off, the entire thing will fall apart. Again, not a problem here! Your synch is spot on!

This one also requires a good stretch. You have very good reach and are using your pinky which is great!!! YOU KRUSHED IT!!! In short you just..

LEVELED UP!!!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

QUOTE (MisterM @ May 29 2019, 10:07 AM) *
Hi Sarge

Mission 6

Not easy to play with metronome
This take is without metronome

I've started the mission 7, it's very interesting, I like it more.

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
May 30 2019, 07:21 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Sarge

Thank you

What do you think about Mission 7 ?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 30 2019, 10:24 PM
Impressive Work Soldier!!! Very well played. From slow to fast, each one is spot on. let's Debrief!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
ALTERNATE PICKING MADNESS - If your alternate picking is weak, this will show it. Good news is your alt picking is quite strong. At each BPM your picking is clean and clear.

TRAVERSE IN STYLE - This one has non stop traverse. Each time you switch strings, you risk missing the strike, or catching the pick on the string and missing a beat. Not you!! Smooth as glass!

SILENT AS DEATH - With string traverse, string noise can be an issue. Any gaps in the mute and string noise raises it's ugly head. Not here!! Quiet as a mouse!!
Very well done. Your technique is on point!!!! You are bringing your A Game!!!You just..

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Fight on Soldier!!
Sarge

QUOTE (MisterM @ May 30 2019, 02:21 PM) *
Hi Sarge

Thank you

What do you think about Mission 7 ?

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Jun 5 2019, 08:48 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Thank you Sarge

I watch my videos and I do not really see any progress on the work of my thumb.
It's been 3 months that I focus on it and I think it will be very long to see progress.

When I play slowly my thumb is very mobile
When I play fast it becomes almost motionless mad.gif

Here Mission 8
Sorry, the track volume is a lot low on this one
I used "native nstrument Guitar Rig", I wanted to add the rec track, but I failed to sync with the metronome

Here mission 9 with my amp, it's better

Here Mission 10
Scales inversion have never been an easy exercise for me

This post has been edited by MisterM: Jun 5 2019, 05:45 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 5 2019, 10:58 PM
Before I debrief these vids (they look great btw) I want to share this explanation of Picking with the THUMB. I made this video just for you to explain it and fix your issue quickly. If you want to re try these videos using this technique, please let me know. If not, I"ll grade them as they are and you can try it on the next Mission. either way is ok smile.gif

Soldier, I am about to fix your thumb articulation issue in under a minute. It's a simple drill on one string using one note. Forget about the left hand. Focus on the right hand.

#Don't allow your palm to move AT ALL from the bridge.
#Focus on using the thumb and finger only
# Ignore the left hand
# use one note on one string, or an open string if you like. No traverse.
#watch this vid carefully.

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Jun 6 2019, 05:04 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Sarge

Thank you for your vid.

On my take "Triple Etude" the instructors noticed an error in the position of my thumb.
This criticism affected me morally. For 4 years, no instructor had mentioned a problem about my thumb.

Kristopher offered me this exercise a few months ago.

I’ve been practicing slowly for three months. It’s very difficult because it’s not natural for me.
It's been 7 years since I got back on the guitar and I have to fight 7 years of bad practice.

On the mission 11, I will make a slow take to show you that I understood

This post has been edited by MisterM: Jun 6 2019, 05:10 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 6 2019, 09:30 PM
I apologize if I've had any negative impact on your playing or morale. I certainly did not intend any negativity. You have GREAT technique and your vids so far have been great! The thumb articulation is just another way of picking. Some folks NEVER use this method which is fine too. One can just pick from the wrist. The thumb method is not required at all. It's just another way to control the pick. That's all, nothing more smile.gif That vid from Kris is great! He's got a very good thumb articulation technique. It's a bit similar to the vid I made. Notice how his palm is planted and never moves and only his thumb/first finger are addressing the string. He's got a very evolved articulation technique. Please don't beat yourself up over this. Like I said, it's just another way to pick. If it's not working for you, you can just set it aside. Your picking technique is well developed and your not picking from the elbow or doing anything wrong at all. I was just offering a vid to help explain things. It seems you already had a good explantion from Kris. Please don't let this stuff get in your way. Your playing is GREAT. Keep it up!!Todd
QUOTE (MisterM @ Jun 6 2019, 12:04 AM) *
Hi Sarge

Thank you for your vid.

On my take "Triple Etude" the instructors noticed an error in the position of my thumb.
This criticism affected me morally. For 4 years, no instructor had mentioned a problem about my thumb.

Kristopher offered me this exercise a few months ago.

I’ve been practicing slowly for three months. It’s very difficult because it’s not natural for me.
It's been 7 years since I got back on the guitar and I have to fight 7 years of bad practice.

On the mission 11, I will make a slow take to show you that I understood

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 6 2019, 11:05 PM
MISSION 8 DEBRIEF!!!!
Another Well Fought Mission Soldier! You have a very well developed picking style. Please don't think that my suggestion about Thumb control are meant to take away from your achievement. You don't need to use thumb/finger articulation if you don't want too. it's just another technique. If it's causing you issues in your progress, just set it aside for a time and maybe come back to it later. You are making great progress without it. Let's Debreif!!!!

This one is a bit tough to hear but it's workable. I can see both hands which is the most important thing. I can probably grade these with the sound entirely off if I can see both hands and the strings. I can hear it enough to work just fine smile.gif I am a big fan of guitar plugins btw. Great way to explore tone! I"m also a fan of that DV mark Unit you have!! I've always wanted one!

MEDALS OF HONOR

GRACE UNDER PRESSURE Soldier, this lick is meant to be hard. You don't even break a sweat!! You make it look easy. You are well ahead of the place you are ranked at. I think you may be very far ahead in fact. This is a good thing as these get harder very soon and your ready.

PINKY POWER You always use the pinky when called for which is AWESOME. Many players still use the third finger near the 5th fret which is not a great habit and one that is hard to break. Not so with you, pure pinky! It's always a good idea to use the pinky.

PRECISION/SPEED I notice you are building up some good speed as well. Speed is just a byproduct of precision so your precision is getting better! I think you may be doing these at full shred speed in the near future.

In short you KRUSHED it yet again and ..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Onward!!

Sarge

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Jun 7 2019, 10:19 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Sarge

thank you for your encouragements
I keep focusing on the thumb work because I think it will give me progress.

The next mission helps me on this point

Have a nice day

This post has been edited by MisterM: Jun 7 2019, 10:19 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 8 2019, 01:53 AM
I understand. I'm glad that you are trying to work on it. It can be a very good way to expand on a players ability to control the Guitar Pick! When I started getting thumb/finger articulation under control, it really helped my playing especially my Lead Playing. [quote name='MisterM' date='Jun 7 2019, 05:19 AM' post='76890
Hi Sarge

thank you for your encouragements
I keep focusing on the thumb work because I think it will give me progress.

The next mission helps me on this point

Have a nice day
[/quote]
MISSION 9 DEBRIEF!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

SNIPER KILLS: Very precise picking! Like a SNIPER lining up the kill shot!! You are keeping it under tight control which is great. You are reducing the amount of travel back and forth with the pick as you speed up which is perfect. It's good to see! Never hitting the wrong strike, always making a clean hit. keep that up!!
[/size]
[size=2]CONSISTENCY
This drill is all about consistency. It's the same shape, same speed, same pattern over and over to see if you can play the same way over a length of ground. You've shown great ability with it thus far. Keep that up too!!

MUTE TO KILL Very good palm mute. You keep string noise under control the entire time. This is crucial for what's coming next.

You are doing GREAT Soldier. You are playing with more precision than just about anybody I've seen come through bootcamp. Usually, there is a bit of a struggle at first to find ones footing. Not so with you. You started off with very tight, controlled playing and it's getting even better!

You just ...
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 8 2019, 01:54 AM

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:28 PM