2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reaper / Focusrite / Youtube Question
Phil66
Mar 7 2021, 08:14 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

I'm wondering if there is a way, possibly using the loopback function on my 18i8 3rd Gen, to record a YouTube backing track to one track and record me playing guitar to a different track at the same time?

I can use Video Download Helper to create an MP3 of the track and put it into Reaper but if what I'm asking is possible it would be superb.

I'm thinking it probably isn't possible, but, I'm not brilliant with Reaper, I use it a lot but only scratch the surface.

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 7 2021, 10:36 PM
GMC:er

I've never done this and have to try myself to be certain but maybe since the loopback is stereo, 1 to route from youtube and other from guitar could be possible (?). But being mono and youtube tracks are stereo that won't be ideal.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 7 2021, 10:56 PM
Thanks Mertay,

Maybe I'm asking to much but it's always worth a try wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 7 2021, 11:15 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 7 2021, 09:56 PM) *
Thanks Mertay,

Maybe I'm asking to much but it's always worth a try wink.gif

No problem but I could be wrong or maybe there's an alternate way I couldn't think of right now, try reaper forum too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 7 2021, 11:17 PM
Yeah I have, thanks for having a look buddy wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Timmez
Mar 8 2021, 07:56 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I am curious what a loopback function is and when to use it?
Is it like an amp out function on a interface?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 8 2021, 09:22 AM
QUOTE (tflava @ Mar 8 2021, 06:56 AM) *

Basically, if you select the loop channels in your DAW, it records what you would be hearing from your speakers. https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/arti...to%20your%20DAW.

I hadn't heard of it until I read THIS thread which prompted me to get a 3rd Gen 18i8. It is a good feature but some people might not find a use for it.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 8 2021, 09:26 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 8 2021, 09:31 AM
QUOTE (tflava @ Mar 8 2021, 06:56 AM) *

Most basic explanation to me is, it records whatever you're hearing from your speakers.

It's more popular on youtubers, like; while you're talking live want some music on the background, game audio etc. instead of routing stuff just setup a loopback.

Phil66's idea is a step advanced so though he hears things like regular loopback, also wants to record 2 sources separately. This is something where a soundcard mixer gets real use if capable.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 8 2021, 09:37 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 8 2021, 09:42 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 8 2021, 10:22 AM) *
Basically, if you select the loop channels in your DAW, it records what you would be hearing from your speakers.

I hadn't heard of it until I read THIS thread which prompted me to get a 3rd Gen 18i8. It is a good feature but some people might not find a use for it.

Cheers

I have the loopback function in my Steinberg UR816C, but it doesn't quite function as I would like it. It seems to only choose certain inputs, if I recall correctly. I wanted to be able to loopback and record both my voice, DI and mic'ed up amp at the same time in my video recording software, or stream it directly to Twitch or elsewhere, however it wouldn't allow me to do that for some reason. Maybe that's not what the loopback function is supposed to do though.

I made a post about it here, but didn't get any replies, but it might explain my issue a bit more: https://forums.steinberg.net/t/ur816c-and-d...oblems/157088/2

If I recall correctly the issue was getting the loopback functioning while not having direct monitoring on. I.e. I wanted to NOT hear my own voice played back to me but have it recorded at the same time. It was a bit frustrating as I could definitely do this with my old Focusrite, but it lacked the amount of inputs I needed/wanted.

My solution has now been to keep my Focusrite 6i6 2nd Gen as well as the Steinberg UR816C and use them in conjunction. This was not the original plan, but it allows me to run a cable from the headphones out of the UR816C to my onboard card, and I can adjust the level of "desktop sound" on the fly with a knob, but that button doesn't affect the microphone I speak into, which is being run through the Focusrite.

Essentially this means I can speak to my friends or stream live and adjust everything that comes through to the people listening without software, but using the knobs on my audio interfaces. I was not able to find any other way of doing this at the time I bought my UR816C.

Sorry for the slight hi-jack and long story. Maybe your Focusrite will work better than my Steinberg in doing what you want it to do smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 8 2021, 10:31 AM) *
Most basic explanation to me is, it records whatever you're hearing from your speakers.

It's more popular on youtubers, like; while you're talking live want some music on the background, game audio etc. instead of routing stuff just setup a loopback.

It might be down to the functions of my Steinberg, but it seems I was not able to get this working. Well, if I recall correctly it would work if I had direct monitoring turned on on my interface, but that way I was hearing my own voice played back to me, and it was a bit of an issue. If I ran through Reaper, but still no direct monitoring on voice, it didn't want to loopback more than 2 inputs of my interface for some reason. It's tricky for me to explain and remember now though, and I found a solution (see above post). I knew I was able to go headphones out to line in on my motherboard in my old Focusrite, but it didn't have the inputs I needed, but it did work fine that way for when recording video/audio on the fly in OBS for instance.

I looked at it till it was driving me crazy and eventually came up with the solution from my post above. It works better than I expected, and it's very handy just turning a knob in front of me manually rather than having to look at the software mixer or whatever.

I think my issue was probably the other way around, rather than what they're explaining in Phil's link. That seems to be about getting anything played back on your computer into your DAW. I actually wanted the sound of my DAW to go to Discord or OBS, but not have my voice directly monitored. I personally thought I could use the loopback function somehow for this, but looking at it now, maybe I misunderstood the loopback function entirely.

Oh, and while my UR816C has the amount of inputs I needed by itself, I was not able to use headphones out to line in on motherboard on it's own. It would again only take 2 of 3 inputs with it, thus excluding the vocal mic.

Again, sorry for hi-jacking, Phil!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Mar 8 2021, 09:48 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Timmez
Mar 8 2021, 10:22 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks for the clear explanation guys

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 8 2021, 01:04 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Phil

Is this for recording video or just for recording audio?

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 8 2021, 01:28 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 8 2021, 12:04 PM) *
Hey Phil

Is this for recording video or just for recording audio?

Just audio, when I record a quick video I have a usb soundcard fed by one of the headphone outs on the 18i8 and I select that as the audio device in the Logitech Capture software. There's a hint of a sync issue but for quick videos to show Gab or Todd something it's fine.

I guess I'm being a bit lazy but I'll say it's to save time wink.gif I like to record improvisations over YouTube backings but it is, or was a bit of a faff using download helper to convert the YouTube video to mp3. When I got the 3rd Gen with loopback, I realised I can record the YT audio into Reaper. Then I started playing along and the guitar goes to the same track, even though I set up an independent guitar track because the loopback records what is being sent to the speakers.

I was wondering if there was a way of keeping them separate. Just for when I want to randomly search for YT backings and jam over them. It's not a deal breaker and I've found some good uses for the loopback already.

I've asked Focusrite too wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 8 2021, 01:28 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 8 2021, 06:09 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Check this out!

I was so focused on the loopback thing and I missed that my mic sometimes clipped. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Mar 8 2021, 06:10 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 8 2021, 09:38 PM
Thanks Gab,

I'll see if I can apply that, I'll leave it until the weekend though when I have a little more time, I'm also waiting for a response from Focusrite, they've sent me one but it didn't make much sense, maybe I didn't explain myself properly.

If I struggle, would you mind if I posted your video on the Reaper forum so that they can see how you did it?

Salud amigo

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 8 2021, 10:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 8 2021, 05:38 PM) *
Thanks Gab,

I'll see if I can apply that, I'll leave it until the weekend though when I have a little more time, I'm also waiting for a response from Focusrite, they've sent me one but it didn't make much sense, maybe I didn't explain myself properly.

If I struggle, would you mind if I posted your video on the Reaper forum so that they can see how you did it?

Salud amigo

Ok! There is not problem! You can share my vids everywhere! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 9 2021, 09:07 AM
Learning Roadie
I have started using OBS to record videos, you can select more than 1 audio source

I'll play around and make sure youtube audio and guitar direct from the interface can be recorded as i usually just use Jdownloader 2 to download the video from youtube and it grabs a just audio track as well (this might be another option for you.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 9 2021, 09:13 AM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 9 2021, 08:07 AM) *
I have started using OBS to record videos, you can select more than 1 audio source

I'll play around and make sure youtube audio and guitar direct from the interface can be recorded as i usually just use Jdownloader 2 to download the video from youtube and it grabs a just audio track as well (this might be another option for you.

Thanks,

Yeah, I use Download helper which converts to MP3 as it downloads but sometimes I don't want to download the file, I just want to get on with it, and sometimes I get through a lot of YT videos if I jam for a minute and can't get into I switch to another, that's why the loopback function how Gab managed to set it is the way to go for me.

I've actually managed to get it to record to individual tracks but i can only hear the YT track whilst I'm playing, it is recording the guitar but I can't hear it, if I set the guitar track to monitor recording, it sends it to the YT track too.

I a bit brain dead with routing, U remember struggling setting up a DVD recorder and Satellite box many moons ago, it just confuses me, this goes there, that goes here, that links into that and bypasses this when you press that wacko.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 9 2021, 10:54 AM
Learning Roadie
OBS will work, you can record your screen, use a camera or both, and have multiple audio sources, you'll need to play around with the mixing levels being recorded.

https://obsproject.com/

It should make things quick for all your submissions as you don't need to try and sync video and audio together

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 9 2021, 11:27 AM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 9 2021, 09:54 AM) *
OBS will work, you can record your screen, use a camera or both, and have multiple audio sources, you'll need to play around with the mixing levels being recorded.

https://obsproject.com/

It should make things quick for all your submissions as you don't need to try and sync video and audio together

I'll take a look, thanks, I think Ben told me about it a few years back and it confused my pea brain.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 9 2021, 12:13 PM
Learning Roadie
It's not too hard to configure it for a simple scene

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:27 PM