Animals As Leaders, Tosin Abasi on 8 string.. unique
Mr T
Mar 31 2010, 10:14 AM
GMC:er
Hey all,

have you hard of the band Animals as Leaders? They have a very cool instrumental album out, based on Tosin Abasi's playing of the 8 string. He has a very interesting technique and is able to produce some great sounds.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Roland Cube 30; Toneport GX; Cort kx1; Ibanez RG1570; Ibanez EW35ABE-NT

http://www.last.fm/user/Mr_T83
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 31 2010, 11:47 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
They can for sure play, but thats a bit too much for my taste.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 31 2010, 02:49 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Yeah they have some pretty cool stuff, Im not too into them but there are some songs that are just plain awesome.

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Apr 1 2010, 03:02 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
ohmy.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Mr T
Apr 1 2010, 09:41 AM
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Apr 1 2010, 04:02 AM) *
ohmy.gif

Is that a good thing? tongue.gif

He's doing alot of classical finger picking and playing the guitar like its a bass. Sometimes he almost has an electronic dance music thing going on together with these heavy riffs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 1 2010, 10:27 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
as I said, those guys can for sure play, I just don't really like it when music turns into sports and it is only about "hey, check out what I can play...", I am missing the musical part in that song that you linked.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 1 2010, 10:43 AM
Reminds me to some Messhugah stuff. Nice material. I'll search for it a bit more

+Quote Post
Mr T
Apr 1 2010, 02:15 PM
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Apr 1 2010, 11:27 AM) *
as I said, those guys can for sure play, I just don't really like it when music turns into sports and it is only about "hey, check out what I can play...", I am missing the musical part in that song that you linked.

I agree with your statement on music turning into sports. However, I seem to experience this band in a different way though.

QUOTE (Santiago Diaz Garces @ Apr 1 2010, 11:43 AM) *
Reminds me to some Messhugah stuff. Nice material. I'll search for it a bit more

Certainly doesn't hurt if you like Meshuggah. There are quite a few parts that remind me of them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aleksander Sukov...
Apr 4 2010, 07:11 PM
Instructor
I've discovered Tosin just recently. A great composer and player indeed. But I think I would better like that band if it had vocals smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 5 2010, 02:07 PM
Instructor
I agree, the music is indeed technically challenging, but it lacks musicallity, it's too "robotic". Possibly some vocals could make it more human like Aleksander said.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 7 2010, 05:45 AM
I think it has to do with the style. This guy for sure wants to make his music "Robotic". And I'm sure he has his fans that want to listen robotic music. This has more to do with the taste of everyone

+Quote Post
Funguy
May 10 2010, 10:50 PM
Robotic maybe... but stale and predictable like 99.999999% of most other stuff i've heard lately... Not a chance! This guy's music is groundbreaking, and a vocalist would simply ruin it. The album demonstrates the difference between a typical "song" and a "composition". After listening to this stuff, I've begun to dislike everything else I was into before it. Long live instrumental prog metal! I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

+Quote Post
Ezra
Jan 9 2011, 07:48 AM
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Apr 1 2010, 09:27 AM) *

I don't think what Tosin Abasi is making a sport out of music. He's just doing something that a lot of guitarists don't. Even towards the end you can really hear the educated jazz musician side to his playing. hes just different and highly skilled.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:37 AM