Track my sweeping progress!, From Noone to Someone! (I hope)
Steelkonsum
Jan 30 2007, 12:03 AM
Okey I just practiced my first hour and 10 minutes of sweeping EVER!

And I came up with the idea too see how fast my progress is and so I decided to start the "From noone to someone!" serie which will be me uploading sweeps weekly or every other week so you guys can track my progress.

Naturally, I want feedback! My skills are novice and criticism is invaluable! Since this is a friendly board I think there's enough people to help me and ghive me pointers and advices throughout this learning session.

So here is, after a little more than an hour practice, my first 5-string sweep ever recorded as shown in Pavels lesson (I hope:P)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  1stsweep.mp3 ( 290.25K ) Number of downloads: 280

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Pavel
Jan 30 2007, 01:03 AM
Instructor
Ok - you have the mistake in playing that shape - you have to repeat the note on the 5th string and on the 1st string twice. Check out my lesson again and you'll notice i repeat those notes.

And - practice it with the metronome - than you'll notice where your mistakes are. It's 6 notes up, and 6 notes down.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Pavel: Jan 30 2007, 01:06 AM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 30 2007, 01:12 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 30 2007, 01:03 AM) *
Ok - you have the mistake in playing that shape - you have to repeat the note on the 5th string and on the 1st string twice. Check out my lesson again and you'll notice i repeat those notes.
And - practice it with the metronome - than you'll notice where your mistakes are. It's 6 notes up, and 6 notes down.

Ah so you did. Will incorporate that and play it the correct way from now on then. Thanks for the heads-up.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 30 2007, 01:22 AM
Instructor
Did you think it was a tab mistake? No way - when you get on those hard sweep lessons you'll se different shapes and they are all played different. Waiting for update! wink.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 30 2007, 01:23 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 30 2007, 01:22 AM) *
Did you think it was a tab mistake? No way - when you get on those hard sweep lessons you'll se different shapes and they are all played different. Waiting for update! wink.gif

No I didnt think it was a mistake I just misread and thought it sounded OK the way I played it tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 30 2007, 01:50 AM
GMC Founder
Apart from the rhythm thing - this was a pretty good first attempt. Be sure to practice with loads of distortion too - as this makes playing cleanly a lot harder! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
beebo
Jan 31 2007, 06:39 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 29 2007, 04:50 PM) *
Apart from the rhythm thing - this was a pretty good first attempt. Be sure to practice with loads of distortion too - as this makes playing cleanly a lot harder! smile.gif

When I play clean sweeps it's harder to play faster and I think trying to play sweeps clean gets people frustrated it definetly does me mad.gif . So like Kris said use alot of distortion! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Jan 31 2007, 06:46 AM
QUOTE (beebo @ Jan 31 2007, 05:39 AM) *
When I play clean sweeps it's harder to play faster and I think trying to play sweeps clean gets people frustrated it definetly does me mad.gif . So like Kris said use alot of distortion! cool.gif

It's not harder to play faster, it's exactly the same except when you have loads of distortion you can't hear that you're playing like crap.

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 31 2007, 03:21 PM
QUOTE (Zee Deveel @ Jan 31 2007, 06:46 AM) *
It's not harder to play faster, it's exactly the same except when you have loads of distortion you can't hear that you're playing like crap.

Actually when playing one note per string or trying to let one note ring and play another then playing with distortion is a shietload harder to play clean because it sounds like pure mud if you dont change the way you angle your fretting finger. So with sweeps for example, on clean channel it doesnt sound too wierd if I accidently forget to lift a finger when moving to the next string but on distortion the muddy sound tells me "ah, ah, ah, dont be slackin'"

Cheerios.

P.S. My sweeps are really coming along so stay tuned biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Feb 1 2007, 03:25 AM
This is true, but still, the reason he can play sweeps faster with distortion is because the distortion is covering up his mistakes.

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 1 2007, 04:03 AM
Instructor
Many people think delay and distortion is covering mistakes and here they are wrong. If you take 2 guitarists to compare - give them the same equipment and distortion settings you'll still be able to notice which one is playing better so the "he has a lot of distortion" is no excuse.

This post has been edited by Pavel: Feb 1 2007, 04:03 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Feb 1 2007, 05:30 AM
Obviously, unless you're deaf but playing with distortion mistakes are a lot less noitceable than if you're playing clean.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 1 2007, 05:49 AM
Instructor
Why don't we just throw away all of the distortion pedals and effect and get back to good old acoustic guitar biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Feb 1 2007, 05:50 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 1 2007, 05:49 AM) *
Why don't we just throw away all of the distortion pedals and effect and get back to good old acoustic guitar biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Touch my pedal and you die. ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 1 2007, 05:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Zee Deveel @ Feb 1 2007, 03:25 AM) *
This is true, but still, the reason he can play sweeps faster with distortion is because the distortion is covering up his mistakes.

Btw. why don't you upload some sweeps and show us how to sweep? wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Feb 1 2007, 06:10 AM
I don't sweep.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 1 2007, 06:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Zee Deveel @ Feb 1 2007, 06:10 AM) *
I don't sweep.

Than you have no idea what you are talking about. No hard feelings!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Feb 1 2007, 06:26 AM
Just 'cause I don't sweep doesn't make me wrong. I realise that muting with distortion is difficult. However:

Someone said "it's easier to sweep faster with distortion on".

If he believes this to be true, the only possible reason for it to seem easier is because you're playing with not such good technique which is allowing you to seemingly play faster. You're doing exactly the same thing with the guitar, distortion doesn't magically make your hand move faster.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 1 2007, 06:34 AM
Instructor
Beebo said: "When I play clean sweeps it's harder to play faster!"

Kris said: "Be sure to practice with loads of distortion too - as this makes playing cleanly a lot harder".

Kris was right, as you have to learn how to control the gain and noise.
Sweeps are very difficult and take years to master, you can't get them in 2 weeks.

Do you want to say that Rusty Cooley, Michael Angelo and other shredders hide behind the distortion?? Come on maaaaan. Be real.
Peace

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Feb 1 2007, 06:36 AM
Where did I say it's easier to sweep with distortion? I actually stated "I realise muting with distortion is difficult".

Pavel, I think you and I just don't understand each other very well generally. A few times now I've posted something and you've thought I meant something else.

Here you think I mean shredding is much easier if you have lots of distortion.

In another thread you thought I meant that shredders are all talentless.

And in another thread you thought I meant you had to squeeze ridiculously hard with your thumb to play a barre chord.

This post has been edited by Zee Deveel: Feb 1 2007, 06:40 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:47 AM