Right Hand Position
tonyparnham
Oct 27 2009, 08:11 PM
GMC:er
Hi Muris,
This is going to be heavy going but here goes;
I don't like to reveal my age ( 64yrs) but I have been playing guitar since I was 13yrs and they have been normally Strat type guitars. I grew up in the Uk in the late 50's with Elvis, Ricky Nelson etc etc and finished up with a Strat, Vox Ac 30 and Watkins Copycat doing gigs for 30yrs and playing a lot of Hank Marvin and Shadows stuff where there is a big world following in my age group.
Anyway not wanting to bore you (this is tricky to explain) but due to all that Strat playing I have always avoided floyd Rose Trem systems because the little tuning pegs have always got in the way catching my sleeve etc and I've always been uncomfortable with them for that reason and played with my right hand coming in over the bridge at a slight angle but more or less straight. If you remember I placed a thread about GEAR " Ibanez Jem 555 or 7v" a few days ago and I took on the comments that were made.
I am aware you play with Floyd Rose type trems and decided to scrutinise your 'right hand technique' on your lessons. I noticed that your right hand emerges more from the top of the guitar rather than lower down coming accross the bridge and when you do a " speed of light run" across the strings your wrist seems to flow downwards in a kind of ark.

Giong back to the gear thing first I tried a Steve Vai signature Jem v-wh and its a nice guitar no doubt but I also went with the advice and tried a new Ibanez prestige with the new zero point floyd rose trem systems. They both sounded pretty much the same actually but the Jem cost £1100 more.
Realisticly I very much like the Prestige guitar anyway and will probably buy it tomorrow £900; so I went back today and played it attempting one of your " speed of light runs" with your technique rather than my Strat position. Although I found it strange I avoided getting my cuff fast but my alternate picking felt somewhat smoother because my plectrum was at a downward angle skimming across the strings in an ark.
The bottom line is....
Will it be wrong to give it a go and adjust my right hand technique or am I going to confuse myself.
Best regards Tony

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 28 2009, 03:08 AM
Instructor
Hi Tony. smile.gif

Right hand position is kind a gray area,
there are too many different ways, people have different tastes, habits and everything.
So with having all that i mind I cannot tell you for sure what to do here,
to keep your own way or try something new,
maybe you'll get confused, maybe not, who can tell...
Tho as a professional musician I was always open to new ways of doing things
but only an only if it serves its purpose.
In other words, if you really think that your old (and current) right hand position
limits you then you might wanna give it a shot after all.

As for me, I use to keep heel of my fist right on the top of the bridge,
it gives me nice stand while I'm still free to cover all 6 strings
without moving whole fist too much.
It's also good for muting since palm is already quite near that muting position,
all you have to do is to move fist a little bit on the right (or simply to roll it)
and you have palm muting.

Hope I helped eventually
tho I know that this kind of questions hardly get straight answer,
you have to try it for yourself. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
tonyparnham
Oct 28 2009, 08:30 PM
GMC:er
hi Muris,
Thanks for that; so I have nothing to lose at my age and I just might enjoy myself as well so I think I might buy an
Ibanez and check out the Steve Lukather lesson, your stuff is so melodic.
Cheers Tony

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 28 2009, 09:33 PM
Instructor
Cheers. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Clare
Oct 28 2009, 09:57 PM
Learning Roadie
64 years old and still rockin....RIGHT ON brother!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 29 2009, 03:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (THE BUZZARD @ Oct 28 2009, 09:57 PM) *
64 years old and still rockin....RIGHT ON brother!!!!!!!

Hell yeah!!!!!!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:45 AM