Digi
Chokehold
Oct 31 2009, 01:52 AM
GMC:er
I have been thinking about ordering a couple of new albums, and one of them got the name of the album and then "- Digi" written after it. but It costs just as much as the same album but without the "- Digi" after it.

So what's the difference? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Hellraiser C-7, Epiphone SG, Some old fake Strat, and an acoustic of unknown brand.
Amp: Marshall MG 30DFX.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 31 2009, 01:59 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
It usually means that it was recorded - and sometimes mastered - in a totally digital environment. That's not necessarily good or bad - depends on how good the recording engineer and ME were. Usually bad engineer/great equipment= bad recording : great engineer/poor equipment=better recording.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Chokehold
Oct 31 2009, 02:05 AM
So choosing the one without - Digi would be the safest then?

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Hellraiser C-7, Epiphone SG, Some old fake Strat, and an acoustic of unknown brand.

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Oct 31 2009, 02:09 AM
or it means digital download rather than a CD arriving at your door. I find this to be more likely than having the same album mastered twice in the studio.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 31 2009, 02:14 AM
No - depends on who did it, and how well it was recorded. TBH the sticker is more marketing fluff IMHO - you don't really know how well it's recorded and mastered until you buy it and play it.

A lot of consumers think that 'digital' has to be best but most of that is because of marketing hype. Some is very good, some ok and some very poor. Some analogue is very good, some ok, some very poor.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Oct 31 2009, 03:07 AM
I'll be interested to see a link, then we can see for sure smile.gif

--------------------

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Oct 31 2009, 03:36 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Huh, while we're all speculating...I thought it meant there was also a digital copy included. *grin*

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 31 2009, 11:19 AM
BTW Jafo my post 5 is a response to Chokehold's - 'digi' could of course refer to a download though I would have thought that the shop/site would use clearer wording for a download.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 31 2009, 01:58 PM
Instructor
Perhaps it meant "DIGIdesign gear used during mixing" cool.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Oct 31 2009, 10:02 PM
I think that it means Digipack. It has a box, all re-desing apart from the original plastic box album. Usually, they have more pics, more info, another design, etc.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 31 2009, 10:18 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Santiago Diaz Garces @ Oct 31 2009, 10:02 PM) *
I think that it means Digipack. It has a box, all re-desing apart from the original plastic box album. Usually, they have more pics, more info, another design, etc.

I also think this is the case. Digipack is the paper/carton packaging with more cool stuff inside. Its a fancy packaging in comparison to standard plastic cases. That is why the price is higher, digipack is more expensive to produce.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 1 2009, 12:02 AM
How funny is it going to be when we find out that we're ALL wrong and it means there's a free digimon card game included?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 1 2009, 12:07 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Nov 1 2009, 12:02 AM) *
How funny is it going to be when we find out that we're ALL wrong and it means there's a free digimon card game included?

heheh now that would be something...

Regarding Digipack, what do you guys prefer? When we were publishing CD we were offered the digipack version or plastic case version. Even though digipack was fancy and more expensive we went for the old school classic plastic casing. Which one do you prefer?

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Chokehold
Nov 1 2009, 12:11 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 31 2009, 10:18 PM) *
That is why the price is higher, digipack is more expensive to produce.

The thing is, it costs just as much and is not more expensive.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 1 2009, 12:24 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Nov 1 2009, 12:07 AM) *
Regarding Digipack, what do you guys prefer? ...

I'm probably an exception here but I gave up long a go on worrying about the packaging/gatefold sleeve and so on Bogdan. I've too many cds/lps nowadays and they all end up getting put on a shelf regardless of the packaging.

TBH the more elaborate the packing the more annoying it can be to me. So just to rant for a bit wink.gif

Worst example for me was years ago when (I think - I threw the record away in the end) The Duritti Column released an LP where the sleeve was made from sand paper. Another bad one was PiL's Metal Box - the box used to end up scratching the record. Crass's 'home made' newspaper gatefolds were also a pain as the sleeve tended to disintegrate. Hawkwind's old 'In search of space' was annoying (to me) just because you had to unfold the thing to get at the record (lots of other examples here that are very similar - 'Space ritual' is another - Hawkwind seem to have had a thing about annoying fold out gates). Yello's stupid cd with the little rubber mask thing was annoying. Cocteau Twins cds are irritating where you have to 'unfold' the cd box to get at the cd. Too many cds don't fit a cd shelf as they're too tall...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 1 2009, 02:49 AM
Instructor
If you ask me, I keep my CDs & DVDs in cases or bells, don't have space for even slim plastic boxes, so I throw/gave all boxes away, and just kept a dosen or so slim plastic covers, paper and plastic bags, if I have to give something to someone. I'm not a collector tho, so discs don't have big value to me.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Nov 2 2009, 11:30 PM
A good and original presentation of your work should call the attention of the potential buyers and fans of your music. But, I think that the Digipack design isn't the best choice. At the end, is the most fragile way to keep a cd (At least, in my experience).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:59 PM