Can't Play The Blues, My Journey
FretDancer69
Mar 1 2008, 08:09 PM
GMC:er
Recording #1

Hello all, ive decided that from now on i will practice only Blues. I wanna nail this style perfectly and i want you guys to help me achieve this. Today i recorded a small take over a backing track, as an attempt to play the Blues. I used Muris's backing track from his first Blues Collab, i hope thats ok.

The Backing is in G minor i think, so i used the G minor Blues Scale

Please, your constructive criticism is very appreciated, id like to hear personally from Slammer and Robin, as i know they can play the Blues awesomely cool.gif

Also, im in need of more backing tracks in more keys, so if you can provide me some, that would be GREAT!!!

thanks so much guys, here is the take:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Mar 1 2008, 09:30 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  cantplaytheblues.mp3 ( 716.8K ) Number of downloads: 1227

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 1 2008, 08:28 PM
It sounds pretty bluesy and all, but sometimes it sounds like you're a bit lost and in the end i think you should have landed on the root note. Better phrasing(not that its that bad now though biggrin.gif ) will come after alot of jamming!!
Your bends are also sometimes off key, but just play alot and you'll get it.

I suggest you practice as many blues lessons on GMC as possible, but specially Gabriels!! biggrin.gif
Also learning blues solos from songs can be good. Specially learn some SRV, because you will gain alot from learning how to use dead notes and use it to get some extra groove in your soloing. I recommend learning Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't stand the weather!!

Good luck!

QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Mar 1 2008, 08:09 PM) *
id like to hear personally from Slammer and Robin, as i know they can play the Blues awesomely cool.gif

thanks wub.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Robin: Mar 1 2008, 08:30 PM

+Quote Post
Iluha
Mar 1 2008, 08:52 PM
You defnitly got that blues flow... like Robin said with more playing you'r bends will become more accurate and you'r vibrato will become more present.

You should defintly focus more on you'r phrasing, taking pauses in between parts will benefit you greatly, think of it like singing, you gotta stop sometime to breathe! so vibrate a note and let it fade out or jam hard on a double stop bend, those 2 of the most common blues tricks smile.gif

Also you should try toying around with diffrent picking methods, what I mean is that on some notes hit the strings softer, on some harder, on some with more thumb, and on some with less, also using hybrid picking will take you long ways!

Cheers man, looking forward to seeing you progress in my favourite style smile.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Mar 1 2008, 09:11 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Mar 1 2008, 01:28 PM) *
It sounds pretty bluesy and all, but sometimes it sounds like you're a bit lost and in the end i think you should have landed on the root note. Better phrasing(not that its that bad now though biggrin.gif ) will come after alot of jamming!!
Your bends are also sometimes off key, but just play alot and you'll get it.

I suggest you practice as many blues lessons on GMC as possible, but specially Gabriels!! biggrin.gif
Also learning blues solos from songs can be good. Specially learn some SRV, because you will gain alot from learning how to use dead notes and use it to get some extra groove in your soloing. I recommend learning Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't stand the weather!!

Good luck!

thanks wub.gif

Thanks for listening Robin! And yes, sometimes i feel like i got no more "new" licks to play and feel lost. Ill take your advice and land more in root notes, i never thought of that. Ill jam more now as i mostly play excersises for increasing speed biggrin.gif

Thanks on the lesson suggestions, ill try them out. And ill also check out some SRV songs, specially that one you mentioned. Again, thanks for listening, stay tuned for Recording #2!

QUOTE (Iluha @ Mar 1 2008, 01:52 PM) *
You defnitly got that blues flow... like Robin said with more playing you'r bends will become more accurate and you'r vibrato will become more present.

You should defintly focus more on you'r phrasing, taking pauses in between parts will benefit you greatly, think of it like singing, you gotta stop sometime to breathe! so vibrate a note and let it fade out or jam hard on a double stop bend, those 2 of the most common blues tricks smile.gif

Also you should try toying around with diffrent picking methods, what I mean is that on some notes hit the strings softer, on some harder, on some with more thumb, and on some with less, also using hybrid picking will take you long ways!

Cheers man, looking forward to seeing you progress in my favourite style smile.gif

Thanks, ill keep the "let breathe" tip in mind. Im trying to use the "raking" picking more in my playing but i still need to work more on it. Hybrid picking is very weird for me and i dont like it very much but ill try it.

Thanks for listening man, stay tuned for Recording #2!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slammer
Mar 1 2008, 09:23 PM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Mar 1 2008, 02:09 PM) *
Please, your constructive criticism is very appreciated, id like to hear personally from Slammer and Robin, as i know they can play the Blues awesomely cool.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Thanks man, I don't think I play blues Awesomely, but it is my favorite style cool.gif

I agree with what Robin Said, definetly listen to Alot of blues, and Try to Pick up what the BLues players are doing, and then you can build a Lick Library that you can incorporate into your PLaying.

I have a bunch of Professinal Blues BT's that I can send if you'd like, But I gotta go to work soon, If you'd like you can PM me your Email and I can send them Either Late Tonight or Tommorow.

And Remember Practise, Practise, Practise, even if it's just Slow little blues bends etc. Sometimes the Easiest things are the most Important things.

The Way I learned alot of blues, was by listening to Clapton,SRV etc and just trying to play what they played, you don't have to play exactly like someone, but the Standard blues licks are really good to know.

Keep it Up! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 1 2008, 09:27 PM
Just thought i'd mention that once you learn one new lick, you can make hundreds of variations of it.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Mar 1 2008, 09:34 PM
QUOTE (Slammer @ Mar 1 2008, 02:23 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Thanks man, I don't think I play blues Awesomely, but it is my favorite style cool.gif

I agree with what Robin Said, definetly listen to Alot of blues, and Try to Pick up what the BLues players are doing, and then you can build a Lick Library that you can incorporate into your PLaying.

I have a bunch of Professinal Blues BT's that I can send if you'd like, But I gotta go to work soon, If you'd like you can PM me your Email and I can send them Either Late Tonight or Tommorow.

And Remember Practise, Practise, Practise, even if it's just Slow little blues bends etc. Sometimes the Easiest things are the most Important things.

The Way I learned alot of blues, was by listening to Clapton,SRV etc and just trying to play what they played, you don't have to play exactly like someone, but the Standard blues licks are really good to know.

Keep it Up! biggrin.gif

Thanks! Ill listen to some Clapton, and Bjorn Berge, what are your favorite songs from Clapton? I want to check out those, and Robin's favorite Berge's songs too!

Please! Id love to have those backigns!!! Ill PM you my email right now! Thanks so much! smile.gif

QUOTE (Robin @ Mar 1 2008, 02:27 PM) *
Just thought i'd mention that once you learn one new lick, you can make hundreds of variations of it.

Thanks for the tip Robin smile.gif What starting songs from Bjorn Berge do you recommend? Or what are your favorites?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 1 2008, 09:42 PM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Mar 1 2008, 09:34 PM) *
Thanks! Ill listen to some Clapton, and Bjorn Berge, what are your favorite songs from Clapton? I want to check out those, and Robin's favorite Berge's songs too!

Please! Id love to have those backigns!!! Ill PM you my email right now! Thanks so much! smile.gif

Thanks for the tip Robin smile.gif What starting songs from Bjorn Berge do you recommend? Or what are your favorites?

I'm not sure if Bjørn Berge is the one to listen to if you you want inspiration for playing electric guitar. But his first album is pretty much 100% blues, so i guess you could check it out.

Heres one from his first album http://youtube.com/watch?v=HnSAWvhXdEA

He also play alot of stuff like this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=l22YT2DEhm4&feature=related wich isnt exactly blues.

Johnny Winter is also a guy you definitely should check out!!

+Quote Post
Slammer
Mar 1 2008, 09:44 PM
Well, I think I like to many to remember laugh.gif

BTW here is a Great site, it's made by a Clapton fan, but It has some Great BLues Tutorials in the Style of Clapton, BB King etc. http://12bar.de

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Mar 1 2008, 09:45 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Mar 1 2008, 02:42 PM) *
I'm not sure if Bjørn Berge is the one to listen to if you you want inspiration for playing electric guitar. But his first album is pretty much 100% blues, so i guess you could check it out.

Heres one from his first album http://youtube.com/watch?v=HnSAWvhXdEA

He also play alot of stuff like this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=l22YT2DEhm4&feature=related wich isnt exactly blues.

Johnny Winter is also a guy you definitely should check out!!

Thanks! Ill check his first album then!, and thanks for the links! smile.gif

QUOTE (Slammer @ Mar 1 2008, 02:44 PM) *

BTW here is a Great site, it's made by a Clapton fan, but It has some Great BLues Tutorials in the Style of Clapton, BB King etc. http://12bar.de

Thanks alot man, ill have a look at it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 1 2008, 09:46 PM
QUOTE (Slammer @ Mar 1 2008, 09:44 PM) *

Yeah great site, i started out with that one.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 1 2008, 11:20 PM
Instructor
here's one from me, it's a 12bar blues in the key of E 100bpm

Attached File(s)
Attached File  E_blues_groove_100bpm.mp3 ( 900.94K ) Number of downloads: 159

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Mar 2 2008, 12:57 AM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Mar 1 2008, 04:20 PM) *
here's one from me, it's a 12bar blues in the key of E 100bpm

Thanks Ivan! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Mar 2 2008, 02:09 AM
Recording #2

Ok, heres's a second recording i just made. I used an awesome Backing track that Ivan provided me. I stayed with the G minor Blues scale like last time, and came with good results key/notes-wise (imo).

Please, comments on this recording are very appreciated! smile.gif

Thanks

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Mar 2 2008, 02:12 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  cantplaytheblues2.mp3 ( 597.27K ) Number of downloads: 211

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Mar 2 2008, 05:03 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Mar 2 2008, 03:09 AM) *
Recording #2

Ok, heres's a second recording i just made. I used an awesome Backing track that Ivan provided me. I stayed with the G minor Blues scale like last time, and came with good results key/notes-wise (imo).

Please, comments on this recording are very appreciated! smile.gif

Thanks

Dude...G minor just isn't the right key... you should have used E minor or atleast G major.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 2 2008, 10:54 AM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Mar 2 2008, 05:03 AM) *
Dude...G minor just isn't the right key... you should have used E minor or atleast G major.

Yeah. Sounds like B minor pentatonic would fit to me.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 2 2008, 01:04 PM
Singing Instructor
key.was wrong...but the ideas where very good....I can hear that you think like a blues man:)

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 2 2008, 01:23 PM
Instructor
Nice effort man, but the key is E, it says so on the track too. Try Eminor blues scale it will fit nicely.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Mar 2 2008, 08:03 PM
QUOTE (Nemanja @ Mar 2 2008, 06:04 AM) *
key.was wrong...but the ideas where very good....I can hear that you think like a blues man:)

Thanks.. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Mar 2 2008, 06:23 AM) *
Nice effort man, but the key is E, it says so on the track too. Try Eminor blues scale it will fit nicely.

Ok, dang, i didnt sound that bad to me, my ears are a mess sad.gif ill record again with E minor Blues.

I also recieved some great backings from Slammer (thanks man) so ill use thsoe for recordings as well. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:04 PM