Good Vst Plug-in With True Amp Dynamics Response, here You can check it out
Darius Wave
May 13 2013, 10:36 PM
Instructor
Today I wanted to share with You one of my favourite amp sim Vst plug-in ever. Even though I'm not a big Marshall fan...this JCM900 Dual Reverb simulation has killed me with the way it reacts for my playing.

It's very dynamic. But what this actually mean and why it's then good for practicing?

This amp is very sensitive...like some really top notch amps...but not those for metal (To be honest many of high gain amps like Mesa DR or Peavey 5150 have some mods in the input circuit and this is done for a reason and I won't judge it now). They behave liek there was already some booster with top boost turned on. You can easily check this but turning gain to almost 0 and complete it to the clean tone of the same amp. You'll notice that the tone is getting thiner (less low, more treble) and doesn't sound like a clean with a bit of distortion.

Amps with no modes in the input section of overdrive channel can give You almost clean and natural tone while you decrease the gain.

Way of how the distortion channel is designed, affects our feel of is the amp soft or hard for playing - example? If You tried some more amps You could feel that even while picking soft there is still a bunch of attack and pinch harmonics are easy to produce while some amps seems to be stuborn and fails when missed just a few milimeters on the pinch harmonic range (string place where You hit the harmonics with Your pick and thumb)

Now...those amps with no input mods are truly dynamic...why...because even on the high gain, when You softly stroke the string it not only looses the gain but also the treble...with a very noticable level. Those kind of amps are cruel for Your playing (shows every single flaw) but playing on them makes Your skills improved and tell more truth about Your guitar tone and Your playing.

So...even if Your target is metal and You are addicted to some very "fast and short" tones with bunch of attack and treble it's always good to compare Your skills with some more natural amp.

If You can handle such an amp with middle gain set up...You can easily handle the high gain one but...it doesn't work in the opposite direction.

If You want the truth and to be honest to yourself...try to play on this JCM900 sim

http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

You might not like it's freq response and the muddy sound with high gain...but it will suck all strength from You while trying to make it sound good only with Your hands and this is where the true adventure beginns.

This topis is not about to say anything bad about the high gain amps and digital effects distortions but just an advice on how You can check where Your playing really is.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: May 13 2013, 10:38 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 15 2013, 09:03 PM
GMC:er
Sounds cool smile.gif I wish there was a Macintosh version sad.gif But such is life eh?

You bring up a really good point about dynamics. So much tone lives in the fingers and can easily be quashed by simply using too much gain. Being able to play in clean/low gain/mid gain situations is a skill in itself.

A great example of this is the HUFSCHMID video that I linked of your playing in a previous post. You turn the volume knob down on the guitar and change the vibe of the entire solo. Great one btw!!

Todd

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 13 2013, 05:36 PM) *
Today I wanted to share with You one of my favourite amp sim Vst plug-in ever. Even though I'm not a big Marshall fan...this JCM900 Dual Reverb simulation has killed me with the way it reacts for my playing.

It's very dynamic. But what this actually mean and why it's then good for practicing?

This amp is very sensitive...like some really top notch amps...but not those for metal (To be honest many of high gain amps like Mesa DR or Peavey 5150 have some mods in the input circuit and this is done for a reason and I won't judge it now). They behave liek there was already some booster with top boost turned on. You can easily check this but turning gain to almost 0 and complete it to the clean tone of the same amp. You'll notice that the tone is getting thiner (less low, more treble) and doesn't sound like a clean with a bit of distortion.

Amps with no modes in the input section of overdrive channel can give You almost clean and natural tone while you decrease the gain.

Way of how the distortion channel is designed, affects our feel of is the amp soft or hard for playing - example? If You tried some more amps You could feel that even while picking soft there is still a bunch of attack and pinch harmonics are easy to produce while some amps seems to be stuborn and fails when missed just a few milimeters on the pinch harmonic range (string place where You hit the harmonics with Your pick and thumb)

Now...those amps with no input mods are truly dynamic...why...because even on the high gain, when You softly stroke the string it not only looses the gain but also the treble...with a very noticable level. Those kind of amps are cruel for Your playing (shows every single flaw) but playing on them makes Your skills improved and tell more truth about Your guitar tone and Your playing.

So...even if Your target is metal and You are addicted to some very "fast and short" tones with bunch of attack and treble it's always good to compare Your skills with some more natural amp.

If You can handle such an amp with middle gain set up...You can easily handle the high gain one but...it doesn't work in the opposite direction.

If You want the truth and to be honest to yourself...try to play on this JCM900 sim

http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

You might not like it's freq response and the muddy sound with high gain...but it will suck all strength from You while trying to make it sound good only with Your hands and this is where the true adventure beginns.

This topis is not about to say anything bad about the high gain amps and digital effects distortions but just an advice on how You can check where Your playing really is.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 16 2013, 01:59 PM
Instructor
Thanx Todd! Yep...I had to share this because like You said...people who learn to play with high distortions could have problems while they buy their firt real amp smile.gif I'm not any better in this case smile.gif I grew on old boss me-5 and had A kick in the arse with the first tube amp...now it's funny because even though I understand, It's still hard to use "kind words" to a kid who just started to play and he says that XY amps sucks ans sound worse than his 15 Watt combo biggrin.gif

It's like learnig how to play again...

While I got this sim I was amazed of how natural it works with my hands and ho hard You have to hit to get "that" sound. I would just like everyone to try instead of searching excuses like "this amp sucks"...ha ha smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 17 2013, 06:11 AM
There is some well earned wisdom in your post here! I had the same issues exactly when I got my first boss Heavy Metal pedal then tried a tube amp. SOOOOOOOO different. The playing dynamics are entirely different. With big tube amps, I"ve found that putting a nice tube screamer type pedal in front really helps especially at low volume. Then I found it also helps when using software plugins. A bit of clean boost can go a long way. You can still roll back the guitar volume and get nice effects. I tried using hard distortions on the front end of the signal chain of various setups and never liked the results. Tried everything, Rat, Metal Stomps, all manner of high gain stomp. None sounded as good as an overdrive with pretty minimal breakup/distortion.

Being a bit of a gain/distortion nerd, I looked further in to it and found a very common little chip is the almost secret weapon of spiff shreddy tone. It's called the JRC4558D IC chip. This little cheap chip is also found in cheap pedals like JOYO, NUX, etc. and is much cheaper than buying an ibanez reissue. God bless Ibanez and anyone putting up money for the reissue but I'm just too cheap to do it so I was happy to find cheaper options!!

Todd

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 16 2013, 08:59 AM) *
Thanx Todd! Yep...I had to share this because like You said...people who learn to play with high distortions could have problems while they buy their firt real amp smile.gif I'm not any better in this case smile.gif I grew on old boss me-5 and had A kick in the arse with the first tube amp...now it's funny because even though I understand, It's still hard to use "kind words" to a kid who just started to play and he says that XY amps sucks ans sound worse than his 15 Watt combo biggrin.gif

It's like learnig how to play again...

While I got this sim I was amazed of how natural it works with my hands and ho hard You have to hit to get "that" sound. I would just like everyone to try instead of searching excuses like "this amp sucks"...ha ha smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 17 2013, 08:24 AM
Instructor
I know what You mean Todd smile.gif Adding some booster with treble boost is like cheating the amp that You have a much brighter guitar. Even those hard ones can became really soft. I also use few different stages of boost on the live gigs. Sometimes a bit of treble and volume boost before amps input works ok for Gilbert-like palm muted speed picking.

About the Nux i tried and I also agree. Nice device with tubescreamer-like sound and solid metal housing. The price is 1/3 of any boss or ibanez pedal smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 18 2013, 01:50 AM
Well said!! It would be cool to find a nice overdrive with several presets, maybe even midi control. I too often fine one setting not enough for my OD pedal. I get around it using several pedals (standard boost, solo boost, bite rythm boost, etc.) I've tried multi effects units but they always sound better with a OD in front it seems. I've even stacked multi effect pedals together to try to get around it but it didn't work great. Stacked a GSP 1101 and ROCK TRON CHAMELON front input then effects loop. THe cheap pedal OD sounded better every time.

I bought a GOLDEA Overdrive pedal the other day on ebay to try it out for this purpose as well. It has the very same chip as teh screamer, metal housing, metal stomp button, and it was only $24!!!!!! I"m going to a "PEDAL SHOOTOUT VID" to compare them all.

Todd

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 17 2013, 03:24 AM) *
I know what You mean Todd smile.gif Adding some booster with treble boost is like cheating the amp that You have a much brighter guitar. Even those hard ones can became really soft. I also use few different stages of boost on the live gigs. Sometimes a bit of treble and volume boost before amps input works ok for Gilbert-like palm muted speed picking.

About the Nux i tried and I also agree. Nice device with tubescreamer-like sound and solid metal housing. The price is 1/3 of any boss or ibanez pedal smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:42 PM