Music School Admission, I'm going to start preparing, and I need some help
Fsgdjv
Nov 25 2008, 05:14 PM
GMC:er
I've been playing with the thought of going to music school for quite a while, and I had planned for a while to try to apply to some schools now, allthough lately I've been kind of worried about my lacking skills. However, I've decided to give it a try anyways, at least it'll be good to have been through the process and it's definetly worth a shot, seeing as I know there are many people that are worse than me, and I've realised that maybe you won't need to be an Yngwie 2.0 to get in to these kinds of schools.

Anyways, so I saw that I need to send in applications to most schools I want to go in in the end of januar, so I thought I could start planning what I would apply with. The first parts of the admissions are mostly soundclips you have to send in, and that's what I need some help with.

For one of the schools I'm thinking of, they want me to send in a recording with two examples of my playing for around one minute each. One should be focused on my "skills on the instrument withing the genre", and the other should make it clear how I sound in a band. That is the first test, and therefore, my main focus right now to get something that sounds good for.

And this is where I need help from GMC. I don't really know what I can record, what kind of things they want to hear and don't want to hear. I can't shred, so how can I show my skills in a good way? And also, should I send in an improvisation, part of a song I wrote or maybe just me playing some riffs and solo from some existing song for one minute? I have no idea what I can do, I'd love to hear some suggestions from you.

Also, about the part that should make it clear how I sound with a band, do I need an actual recording with a band or is something with backing tracks enough? I guess I need something with a real band, and that's a problem for me. I have a band and we're not really the tightest band ever, and to be honest I doubt my bandmates would even consider helping me with something like this anyways. So do you know how I could do that?

That was a lot of questions, but not nearly everything I wonder, but I think this is enough for the first post, and I'll ask more later if I come up with anything. Anyones help would be great, and I know that some of the instructors have gone to music schools, maybe you know something about how I can do this properly?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Nov 25 2008, 05:32 PM
Learning Roadie
i cannot help you, but can i ask you which music schools you are looking at and where they are??

i am kinda interested..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Nov 25 2008, 06:01 PM
I'm mostly thinking of LTU and their music school in piteå. Otherwise, I'm thinking of applying to Kungliga Musikhögskolan and Göteborgs Universitet aswell. There are also some smaller schools that I don't know very much about, but those are the ones I know about properly.

Seeing as you live in malmö, I might mention that there is one there aswell, and it belongs to Lunds Universitet so it might be worth checking out aswell.

--------------------

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Nov 25 2008, 10:28 PM
Learning Roadie
thank you.. i will do that.. thanks

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 25 2008, 10:48 PM
Instructor
I'm not sure what these schools want, but you should certainly display "the best stuff you got". Examine the school programs and what kind of music they teach, try to do something similar, and play everything nice and clean.

As far as band goes, try to convince your bandmates to go once in the studio with you to record a song or something, if that can't be done, then make your own backing and produce it. First ask via mail or something if you can do that of course.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
superize
Nov 25 2008, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Nov 25 2008, 06:01 PM) *
I'm mostly thinking of LTU and their music school in piteå. Otherwise, I'm thinking of applying to Kungliga Musikhögskolan and Göteborgs Universitet aswell. There are also some smaller schools that I don't know very much about, but those are the ones I know about properly.

Seeing as you live in malmö, I might mention that there is one there aswell, and it belongs to Lunds Universitet so it might be worth checking out aswell.

I am also going to try to get in to the music school in piteå and i dont really know either what they want to here

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Nov 26 2008, 08:36 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 25 2008, 10:48 PM) *
I'm not sure what these schools want, but you should certainly display "the best stuff you got". Examine the school programs and what kind of music they teach, try to do something similar, and play everything nice and clean.

But do you (or anyone) think it's ok to play something that I didn't come up with for this part? And since I need to be "showing off my skills", do you think good vibrato and bends are enough for that or do I need something more? I can't sweep and do those fancy things, plus I don't even want to do that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Koopid
Nov 26 2008, 11:01 AM
Learning Roadie
I dont know how these admissions work but some advice could be:

Don't play something that is "the absolute hardest thing" you can play. I think that it in a case like this it is best to play something that is one step easier than your absolute limit since it will show if you are "comfortable" in what you are doing.

I don't think it matters if you record something you wrote yourself or someone elses music as long as you dont try to pass someone elses music as your own.

Don't pick a solo or song that is too well known because you will automatically be compared to the original.

Maybe pick one of the lessons on GMC? I would pick one that covers more than one area of skills (a "song" lesson, not an "etude" lesson). You should probably ask the instructor who wrote the lessons you choose first though smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:46 PM