2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Err Deciding Between 2 Amps Never Was So Hard!, Blackstar ht-5 or the Peavey Vypyr 60
Marc_Maiden
Jul 8 2009, 06:25 AM
GMC:er
AHHHH!

ok so i had to sell my Peavey Triple X for some cash, and i managed to get enough from it to where i can land on a $400 amp.

so i went to guitar center, and i looked around, tried amps ive already tried...lalalala...well i decided to order the blackstar ht-5 (same as the one emir demoed)

but tonight...the more i got to thinking...i started leaning toward the peavey vypyr 60 (the tube one)

now i know blackstar has its own legit tube sound, and peavey is a modeler, but im not using it to try to emulate other amps since i always thought that was pointless...but the reason why id get it is versatility.

here is a list of pros and cons i came up with but i still have some trouble...oh and i have tried out both amps many a time

Blackstar

Pros
------
Small + Portable
Great Great tube tone
Can get cranked and not make my ears bleed
I can carry it with out breaking my back
Effects Loop
Beautiful Looking
ISF feature (switches from US to UK tone)
good for recording with a good mic

Cons
-----
only 5 watts,
cant play with a band
very simple, would need to buy more effects later
would have to get a mic pre amp to record and new audio interface since my toneport is have issues..

Peavey Vypyper

Pros
----

All in one package
60 tube watts with built in power squeez (1 - 12ax pre amp tube 100% tube power amp)
400 + presets (with footswitch which i would get)
Built in Looper
Built in Audio interface Via USB out (gets detected as an ASIO)
Built in Effects loop
Built in Midi in/out
No need for extra effects or equipment
Can play in band/Gig

Cons
--------
Original (non tube) ones said to have problems, but have been fixed...so im not sure if im safe or not
Big
Not as heavey as my triple X, but its still not as easy to carry around as the blackstar
Not 100% tube tone
Made in China
not as nice looking

-------------------------------------------------

i guess now im leaning over towards the peavey for the package...more or less for the value and the money ill save...but what do you guys think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Jul 8 2009, 06:49 AM
I'd choose the Peavy. You have a lot of options to use and you can play with your band with it. Also, I think you can record with it. And you don't have to get some extra effects (Not for now).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 8 2009, 07:30 AM
Learning Roadie
Another option you might want to look into is Carvin. They make a nice combo amp called the Vintage 16 that is superbly toned and pretty loud. You would probably be just fine using it in a practice/jamming situation, especially so if you wanted to get a cab for it to expand the 112.

Anyway, read the specs on it and listen to it. They have clips on the website ("jam room") and there are some good ones on Youtube. It is called the "vintage" 16, but it is a vintage I think you would like Marc smile.gif

I believe Carvin has a store in Sacramento, if they don't stock them in a shop closer to you.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
jdriver
Jul 8 2009, 07:36 AM
Stop drooling over the long list of specs and think about how you will actually use it. Out of 400 presets, how many do you think you will actually use...2? 3? 10?

Do you really want to crank up a 60 watt tube amp when you want to record via USB? Are you going to fiddle with MIDI settings while you're trying to gig?

Consider a Peavey Classic, still made in Mississippi. They've got soul. They can be gotten on Ebay "like new" for $400.

I'm just sayin'... wink.gif

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 8 2009, 07:41 AM
Learning Roadie
Agreeing with JD, maybe you're really set on these two amps I don't know, but I think you can do better one way or another smile.gif The carvin allows for you to switch from 16 to 5 watts, so that gives you the Blackstar's nice tube crankability but still enough volume to jam. Also IMHO the Carvin probably sounds better than either, though I haven't played a Blackstar, but it's definitely much better than the vypyr. It also appears to cost less, leaving you the option of buying another cab, or pedals or somesuch things smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 8 2009, 12:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
The Blackstar!

I just got the combo and it's just great!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 8 2009, 12:30 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
After watching Emir's demo of blackstar I would vote for that option! wink.gif On gigs you anyway Mic the guitar amps etc so you don't actually need a powerful amp for that.You just need a good sounding amp for gigs. Peavey is cool with its versatility but my guess is that blackstar will sound better.Have you tried both of the amps in store? Which tone you like better ?

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 8 2009, 02:11 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
You can line the Blackstar, no need to mike it to record into your computer.

I think what it all falls back on is what you need it for.

Homestudio and recording. The Blackstar. (Effects are added afterwards in the DAW anyway)
Gigs and rehearsal. The 60W Peavey.
All of the above, the Peavey.
The better sounding of the two, Blackstar. I'm saying that without having heard the Peavey, I'm still positive.

This 5 Watter is a LOT louder than the new 4W Vox AC4TV but still on the limit in regards to band practise. Guess it depends on the band also.

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jul 8 2009, 03:22 PM
i see your points...im afraid im limited to guitar center products (i think) because i dont know if they will allow me to return my amp for cash or store credit...

but anyways sounds like for tone....blackstar is a winner, but for versatility peavey is a winnner....

well ive got more thinking to do haha

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 8 2009, 05:10 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Jul 8 2009, 10:22 AM) *
i see your points...im afraid im limited to guitar center products (i think) because i dont know if they will allow me to return my amp for cash or store credit...

but anyways sounds like for tone....blackstar is a winner, but for versatility peavey is a winnner....

well ive got more thinking to do haha

You're right, I believe you get store credit. In that case, I would go for the Blackstar if you think it'll hold down when jamming/band practicing. Depends on who you do that with. It should be fine for gigging, sounds great, so go for it says I.

[edit] unless I read you wrong, I just want to point out that Carvin has a pretty good return policy and they give you a full refund.

This post has been edited by JVM: Jul 8 2009, 05:11 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 8 2009, 05:23 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
They are quite different really. Of those two I'd get the blackstar. Still might be too loud to crank at home. I can barely crank my AC4 at 0.25 Watts in my apartment... laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jul 9 2009, 12:39 AM
Im still leaning a little towards the peavey just for the over all package i get...remember guys, i sold my amp because i need to save money in the first place, and if i need to start doing band practices, im not going to get far with the blackstar

there is no doubt that the blackstar sounds better which is why its hard for me to make up my mind...im just worried about the practice issue...

hmmm....

you know what...forget it...ill just go with the blackstar

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 9 2009, 12:51 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Before you do Marc I'd consider going back to Carvin and adding an attenuator to the Belle Air (spelling?).

5W and below is good for home but I'm not sure it will cut it in a band practice unless you mic and run to the PA. IF you can't mic/PA and don't want to use an attenuator at home a solid state may be better as the gain is linear - so something like a Roland Jazz Chorus etc with a good distortion pedal could be an option.

Edit - spelling

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Jul 9 2009, 12:58 AM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jul 9 2009, 12:54 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Jul 8 2009, 07:39 PM) *
Im still leaning a little towards the peavey just for the over all package i get...remember guys, i sold my amp because i need to save money in the first place, and if i need to start doing band practices, im not going to get far with the blackstar

there is no doubt that the blackstar sounds better which is why its hard for me to make up my mind...im just worried about the practice issue...

hmmm....

you know what...forget it...ill just go with the blackstar

You can also MIC the amp through the bands PA system if you feel it needs a little more. You'll probably want to have a monitor in front of you anyway.

EDIT: Haha Tony beat me to it with the PA thing. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Jul 9 2009, 12:55 AM

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jul 9 2009, 01:14 AM
i know i can probably will using the line out which im glad it has

the roland jazz chorus has always been a dream amp of mine, but sadly $800 is out of my budget, and when ever i see em used for $400 its when im NOT in the market for one...just my luck

anyways...we will see, ill keep my mind open, ive got 5 days to decide

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 9 2009, 01:25 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Just on the Jazz Chorus Marc - there were three types a 55, a 70 and the 120. Most people go for the 120 but all are good imo. I have a 55 (sorry not for sale though) and I think these come up used for a lot less than 400USD - just not very often sad.gif .

Best of luck anyway.

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Jul 9 2009, 01:25 AM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 10 2009, 12:41 AM
Instructor
- If you play often in a band and want all-in-one package as you don't have enough money to get more gear later get Peavey. Often on a gig the quality of effects is not that important really, rarely people hear the real quality.

- If you don't gig that often and don't rehearse with the band that often, just want to play amp at home, possibly Blackstar would be better. Would need some multiFX or reverb with it tho..

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jul 10 2009, 12:42 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 10 2009, 09:30 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 10 2009, 01:41 AM) *
or reverb with it tho..

oh yes that's right, forgot to bring it up myself but the Blackstar HT5 doesn't have a reverb. I have a separate effects pedal for that.

And I think reverb is a must have unless you're grinding thrash metal (or whatever) all day long where you'd want a more "dry" tone.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 10 2009, 09:53 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 8 2009, 06:51 PM) *
Before you do Marc I'd consider going back to Carvin and adding an attenuator to the Belle Air (spelling?).

5W and below is good for home but I'm not sure it will cut it in a band practice unless you mic and run to the PA. IF you can't mic/PA and don't want to use an attenuator at home a solid state may be better as the gain is linear - so something like a Roland Jazz Chorus etc with a good distortion pedal could be an option.

Edit - spelling

I have a Belair. I like it, sounds good. You can get one for $519 and $39 shipping from their Ebay store. I am thinking of getting a second one, so I have 4 speakers and back up, and maybe mod one of the heads.

I think any decent tube amp is fine, 99% of what matters is your play, not the amp. So big deal on the type, it don't mean a rat's tush really, if you can play, you will sound great on anything. If not, it will be the reverse.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 10 2009, 10:05 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Zecic
Jul 10 2009, 10:56 AM
I agree 100% with Ivan Milenkovic!

Just try both amps and see which suits you best. I've tried some horrible sounding tube amps and some great sounding solid states, it's not really a strict rule.

--------------------
Check out my lessons!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:05 AM